Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: XS Big Dot Sights?

ToddG Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Your statement is mildly condescending and not at all correct.
    You might find it condescending but my statement (that "the experience of most serious trainers is that the sights don't actually help students of any level") is demonstrably correct ... as any search of this site and the comments made by experienced instructors will attest.

Feedback Score
    I have them on a Glock 27 and really like them. If I were to buy a new set of tritium sights they'd be XS 24/7 big dots. In my experience they are faster than the traditional three-dots-in-a-row sight picture and on par with a bar dot or straight 8 sight picture. I only have thousands of rounds down range though and no impressive curriculum vitae, so take my opinions as just that, my opinions. I shoot much better when I am concentrating on the front sight and aligning the front and rear sights vertically and not horizontally. YMMV

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    You might find it condescending but my statement (that "the experience of most serious trainers is that the sights don't actually help students of any level") is demonstrably correct ... as any search of this site and the comments made by experienced instructors will attest.
    My experience contradicts theirs.

If they help me, then the absolute statement you have made is false. And I am neither of such poor sight that I cannot discern a post sight nor a novice shooter.

ToddG Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    My experience contradicts theirs. If they help me, then the absolute statement you have made is false. And I am neither of such poor sight that I cannot discern a post sight nor a novice shooter.
    Okie dokie.

Feedback Score
    Hopefully, disagreements can be had with things turning into a urination contest.

Two reasonably serious trainers that I know have a modified Express sight set-up on their pistols - Louis Awerbuck and Bill Jeans. By modified, I am referring to a stock front, Big Dot or small Dot, with a ball cut (tunneled out) rear sight. There are others that use either the complete express sight or a modified version of them.

Not that my opinion matters a bit, but my current and former duty pistols (call it 4+ years worth of carry total) sport a modified express sight.

Just saying ...
    Yup, I'm a Dinosaur!

ToddG Guest
    Erick -- Agreed. Sorry if I came across otherwise.

Two points come to mind reading your post.

First, there is a substantial difference between using one of the XS-brand front sights in conjunction with a completely different rear sight design, and using the XS Express Sights. The issue with the XS Express set-up has always been much more about the rear sight than the front. If anything, I would think the choice of Lou (who I've met) and Mr. Jeans (who I've not) would bear that out.

Second, I would guess at at least in Lou's case, the decision is based in part on eyesight. I haven't seen him since I took his H.I.T.T. class in WV in '04, and I do not know whether he was using the sights at that time but I do know he never mentioned or advocated them during the 3-day class. As I've said previously in this thread and others, I can understand how the XS sights would be a benefit for people whose eyesight isn't what it once was.

There are a number of valid ways to make one's front sight more visible or noticeable, and certainly using one of the XS-brand fronts would accomplish this. I've just always used the white outline around my front tritium capsule (instead of the top edge of the front sight), but I've seen people use fingernail polish, paint, or tape on the front sight to make it "pop out" more and I'm sure the XS Small Dot would accomplish much the same.

(I was going to post a link to a SIGforum post with a great discussion about making one's front sight more visible, but I'm at a Panera Bread and while m4carbine.net is allowed, SIGforum is a "Banned -- Weapons" site according to their content filter ... God Bless America)

I'd certainly be interested in exactly how set up your sights and why. If you feel it's too much thread drift, feel free to PM me.

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    I've recently equiped my G19 with a set of Big Dots. Up until then I used Merpo NS on my all handguns. After a few range trips I've grown to like the Big Dots. I do believe that they take some getting used to. I'm getting to the point where my group accuracy at extended range is improving. I feel that this is attributed to my learning how the sights work. My accuracy has remained consistent with my pistols currently equiped with Mepros so I don't believe the Big Dots have hurt my ability to shoot with my Mepros. That having been said, I've been qualifying with higher scores with my Sig 229/Mepros than my G19/Big Dots. After all of the reviews and opinions that I've heard and read about Big Dots I've come to the conclusion that they are love/hate. It's one of those things I guess you have to try to decide where you stand. If anybody is ever in my neck of the woods and would like to try them out before they buy let me know.

ToddG Guest
    That was ... interesting.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I have a set of XS 24/7 big dot sights on a Glock 17 and Glock 19. Shooting at night with a x200 or x300, the XS sights are much faster than any other sights I have used.

During the daylight hours, I am not sure if they offer enough of a speed advantage on targets inside of 25 yards to make up for the lack of speed at distances longer than 25 yards to consider them an real advantage for me.

Heinie straight eights will continue to be my preferred sight for 1911's. My 17 and 19 will continue to wear big dots. My other glocks probably will not.

I agree that a new set of sights will not make up for a lack of skill. I also think that two different shooters at the same skill level can disagree as to which set of sights is the best, and both shooters could/would be right. Sights are as personal as the pair of eyes looking at them.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast