Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone just use duct tape for their tactical light?

Feedback Score

Anyone just use duct tape for their tactical light?

I took a two day low-light carbine class. I used a Surefire G2 and duct tape. It worked fine.

I am trying to convince myself I need a rail and an expensive light holder. I am having a difficult time.

Am I missing something?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    That will work if you're in a jam. A guy in my last class had to do this.

But a decent mount on your standard handguards is a better way to go if you don't want to do a whole rail system. That's what I run on most of my guns.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    It all depends on what you want. If that works for you, there's no shame in doing it. Old school hose clamp and duct tape to cover the sharp edges was done by some high speed folk.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score

Duct Tape

Works fine in a pinch, and for those applications where you can't use or don't want to use a rail (my Benelli M2, for example).

However, I prefer using a FSB rail and a VLTOR scout mount to put lights on Ar15s.

Very rugged, nothing to melt or fray, no taking tape off/putting it back on when removing/installing handguards, and the light isn't going to move around under the tape (it will often shift slightly and change the angle of the beam during use).

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I did it for a guy in a Feb. Vickers class who had a HK 93 and no light, and wasn't anticipating a low light section.

I whipped out a spare 6P and a roll of duct tape and it got him through that night just fine, but I sure wouldn't want to depend on it for a long haul.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I used a G2 and some black electrical tape to "Field expiediently" mount a weapon light on my M16A2 back in 2002.

We were training on a MOUT site clearing rooms, it was getting dark and I was the only guy in the Plt that had a "real" light instead of the issue GI angle light.

Worked just fine.... and weeks later.. every guy in my Plt bought a G-2 at the PX.....

Go figure....

But I eventually got a "real" light mount once we were issued M4's with Rails.

Feedback Score
    How's this improvised setup?

Just playing around. . .

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    I have used everything from hose-clamps to cable-ties to affix a light when no other option was available. These solutions, while viable for immediate use, are not long-term solutions. Duct tape does not last long when exposed to cleaners or more than infrequent exposure to the elements. At least not where their failure could endanger lives.

Fix the screen door to a trailer, fine. Keep a method of target descrimination/identification attached to a weapon, no so much.

The cost of a section of rail to attach to a handguard and an El-Cheapo scope ring to hold the light is miniscule when compared to the cost of failure of a lesser setup.

But that's just me.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    I am convinced. I have a MI #17 rail on order along with a Larue mount for the flashlight.

You guys are a bad influence.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gjj View Post
    I am convinced. I have a MI #17 rail on order along with a Larue mount for the flashlight.

You guys are a bad influence.
    seriously, when i bought my rifle i had no plans for a light, reading all these threads i am close to pulling the trigger on a larue combo from g&r tactical
    "Unfortunately 87.26% of the quotes and statistics on the internet are lies." - Abraham Lincoln
    Stupid should hurt
    I carry a gun cuz cops are too heavy!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast