Thread: Direction to take a 6.8 upper?

Feedback Score

Direction to take a 6.8 upper?

Hey all, I am interested in some input here.

My current "stable" includes two 16" ARs (one recce, one lightweight), a M1A outfitted with heavy stock and scope, an unfinished 308 Ar project, and a 308 bolt gun.

My current plan is to eventually have a second upper for the .308 AR chambered for 6.5 CM to compete in some of the competitions and just have fun at long range. That said, both of my semi-auto 308s aren't light (16 lbs for M1A, and I estimate the AR will end up at 11-13 lbs), and the bolt gun isn't much better (heavy barrel).

I had been kicking around the idea of an SPR style upper for one of the other ARs, and it crossed my mind that maybe I would get good use out of a 6.8 upper in the same configuration rather than yet another 5.56 chambered for 77gr SMK. That gun could then be easily used for deer sized game at reasonable hunting distances without running afoul of game laws and caliber size (I am in the military and do move around).

But another part of me is wondering if it would be better to go the SBR route. How well does the 6.8 work in something like a 11.5 or 12.5 barrel compared to the standard 5.56?

Is there a purpose between the short defensive AR or the longer range hunting AR that it would be better suited to?

Or, should I just not worry about it and stick to the current 5.56 guns with a proper loading?
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    I currently run a 16" setup for hunting in the 6.8.

my next one, due to Dr. Roberts writing/testing will be a 12.5" look for some of his post here on the 6.8

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by randolph View Post
    I currently run a 16" setup for hunting in the 6.8.

my next one, due to Dr. Roberts writing/testing will be a 12.5" look for some of his post here on the 6.8
    I've been looking for them, and slowly finding. I did come across the link to the research available on dtic.mil, but for whatever reason I can't view it.

I'm thinking that I may end up with the TOS answer, "get both"
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman