Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10/22 Questions

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

10/22 Questions

Not sure if this is the right forum.

I just recently added a tactical solutions barrel, hogue stock, leupold 10/22 base mount, 1" leupold rings, and a vx3 3.5-10x on it. Today i went to go sight in my gun, and was shooting 1.5' low @ 50 yards (maxed out elevation on scope). Trying to diagnose what needs to be done, and looking for any input to what could be causing this.

Thanks for the help

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Make sure the barrel is in alignment with the receiver. Misalignment will cause this problem. If the barrel is aligned with the receiver, the scope base or rings might be the problem.

If the scope base is not a 0 degree unit, reverse it front to back. Try moving the front scope ring to the rear and the rear scope ring to the front. If they are different heights, they will cause this issue. If they are the same height, you may have to place a shim between the rear scope ring and the bottom of the scope.
    Last edited by T2C; 04-21-13 at 22:16.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Sounds like it might be the dreaded 10-22 barrel droop. Rather than jumping right to shimming, I'd try reseating the barrel, make sure the barrel isn't binding on the stock, or maybe one of those aftermarket V-blocks. Sometimes theres too much torque on the existing V-block, sometimes the receiver hole gets buggered up or oblonged and you just can't fix it, in which case a shim for the appropriate ring or under the rail, or an angled mounting base ends up being the best solution.

Feedback Score
    Get a EGW Ruger 10-22 Picatinny 20 MOA Rail Scope Mount. This should give all the adjustment you need.

Bill Tidler Jr.

...We have long maintained that the only accessories that a 1911 needs are a trigger you can manage, sights that you can see, and a dehorning job. That still goes.
    ~Jeff Cooper

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Before doing anything crazy, center the windage of the scope. If the erector set, which holds the reticle, is too far to one side or the other, it will hit the inside of the scope tube limiting it's travel in elevation.

If you have the Leupold mounts & rings that have the two set screws to hold the rear ring, center the scope windage and set coarse windage adjustment using the two set screws, then use the scope windage knobs for the final adjustment.

Before starting, make sure the rings are lining up with each other without placing any strain on the scope tube
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)

Another set of experts

Check out rimfirecentral.com, where there is dedicated 10/22 discussion forum with 9 topical sub-forums.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...isplay.php?f=9
    Last edited by Bruce in WV; 04-22-13 at 17:50.
    Yankee refugee living in the free state of West Virginia.

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    Lots of good advice here. I know someone mentioned the V-block, be sure to not over-tighten the screws (only need about 10 inch pounds). I read that over at the KIDD website when I bought a barrel & receiver from them. Too much torque can definitely have a negative effect.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bnanaphone View Post
    Lots of good advice here. I know someone mentioned the V-block, be sure to not over-tighten the screws (only need about 10 inch pounds). I read that over at the KIDD website when I bought a barrel & receiver from them. Too much torque can definitely have a negative effect.
    There are V-blocks that supposedly will cure barrel droop (dunno about that ) but I believe that TacSol makes one and so claim. Additionally, there are other V-blocks with bracing set screws in addition to the hex bolts that will supposedly correct droop.

Really, the only problem with barrel droop is if the barrel is actually loose in the receiver (in which case accuracy is bad), or if you run out of elevation on the scope. If the barrel is tight, no problem with just adding a 10 or 20 MOA scope mount to give you the sighting angle you need.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wetidlerjr View Post
    Get a EGW Ruger 10-22 Picatinny 20 MOA Rail Scope Mount. This should give all the adjustment you need.
    Check out the barrel. If it turns out to be a scope base thing then there is also the RT one. It comes in 5 and 20MOA heights. I am running the 5. It requires retaping your receiver to larger screws, a worth while excercise (IMHO).

http://http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Ruger_10_22_Parts_s/216.htm
    Last edited by LonghunterCO; 04-23-13 at 12:07. Reason: add link

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    Interesting, I had read barrel droop was induced by over-tightening the v-block to pull the barrel down.

Hopefully the recommendations above will help out the OP. Let us know how things go.

Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    Really, the only problem with barrel droop is if the barrel is actually loose in the receiver (in which case accuracy is bad), or if you run out of elevation on the scope. If the barrel is tight, no problem with just adding a 10 or 20 MOA scope mount to give you the sighting angle you need.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast