Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AR-10 Selection

Feedback Score
    What's wrong with the S&W's other than being a grand cheaper than the other options you mentioned? And where does ArmaLite fall into things these days?
    Owner of Simple Threaded Devices
    Visit our Facebook page

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FJ540MN View Post
    What's wrong with the S&W's other than being a grand cheaper than the other options you mentioned? And where does ArmaLite fall into things these days?
    What do you consider "wrong"?
    It isn't built to be a precision gun, so it isn't going to shoot like one that is.
    It's built like a big M4 basically, and there are upgrades that one can do to gain some capability.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FJ540MN View Post
    Anything you do with any other AR, you can do to a SW, so there is nothing wrong with it. The thin barrel may not help accuracy, but with a freefloat rail, it should be fine if the mp-15 is any indication.

Just read on SW forum, where a stocker without the free float rail pulled .7-.9" groups. that may open up a little with more rounds and heat on the barrel, but for a non free floated barrel that is pretty darn good.
    Last edited by Braniac; 05-07-13 at 11:43. Reason: accuracy test

Feedback Score
    "Anything you do with any other AR, you can do to a SW, so there is nothing wrong with it"

To a certain degree, this is true. However, If I purchased a M&P-10 there are upgrades I would definitely perform to improve the accuracy and functionality for my use. This would start with the trigger ($300). Next I would upgrade the barrel and bolt to a custom ($700). Then change the gas block to a Noveske Swithblock ($200), Next the stock ($100-$250) the grip ($50), an the fore grip ($275). Disclaimer, I didn't look up prices, but they aren't that far off.

You can see we are talking abut $1500. And I still have a S&W. This is why I am looking at other alternatives.

Right now, I am strongly considering the GAP-10. This will result in a rifle that will be built exactly as I wish, suppressor ready, barrel to my specs, upgraded trigger....

And, I can afford it.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by why1504 View Post
    "Anything you do with any other AR, you can do to a SW, so there is nothing wrong with it"

To a certain degree, this is true. However, If I purchased a M&P-10 there are upgrades I would definitely perform to improve the accuracy and functionality for my use. This would start with the trigger ($300). Next I would upgrade the barrel and bolt to a custom ($700). Then change the gas block to a Noveske Swithblock ($200), Next the stock ($100-$250) the grip ($50), an the fore grip ($275). Disclaimer, I didn't look up prices, but they aren't that far off.

You can see we are talking abut $1500. And I still have a S&W. This is why I am looking at other alternatives.

Right now, I am strongly considering the GAP-10. This will result in a rifle that will be built exactly as I wish, suppressor ready, barrel to my specs, upgraded trigger....

And, I can afford it.
    Well, yeah, if you try to make the M&P10 a precision gun, you are going to wind up spending the same $$ as if you had just gone that route to start with. However, if you don't need a precision gun, it represents a pretty solid value. It's kind of the M&P15 of the 7.62 semi-auto world (ironic, I know).
    Some folks need a precision semi-auto 7.62, some folks don't need anything more lethal than airsoft, it's all about needs/wants, budget, distance, and target.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score

And, I can afford it.
    2 things really determine the accuracy IMO... barrel & trigger. You don't need a better bolt, you definitely don't need a switch block, the stock helps but isn't necessary, and the grip is completely irrelevant and it's $20 not $50. You can get a great trigger ($200) and barrel ($250-350) for under $600 total. You can't even justify that the switch block or grip are necessary for functionality even.

Feedback Score

And, I can afford it.
    Why do you need to replace the barrel on a gun that shoots sub moa? All I would do to the MP10 is a G-trigger and free float rail. That would bring accuracy down even further and even though the higher end guns have better internals, the difference in accuracy is negligible. However, no one can argue with a built GAP. Great guns.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Braniac View Post
    Why do you need to replace the barrel on a gun that shoots sub moa?
    Because depending on the twist rate, contour, and barrel length it may be great at 100yds, but at 800+ it could be a different story.

Feedback Score
    I ended up buying a RFB hunter yesterday. No AR10's for me for a while.
    Owner of Simple Threaded Devices
    Visit our Facebook page

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Re: AR-10 Selection

And, I can afford it.
    Iirc, the s&w can't take any other barrel.
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me." Robert A. Heinlein

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast