Thread: Can mount threading depth?

Feedback Score

Question Can mount threading depth?

I'm getting my .30-06 threaded for a suppressor mount and got a question back from my gunsmith before he does it. He wants to know which mount I want to put on it. Well, here's the kicker: I don't know yet. I haven't picked out which rifle suppressor(s) to get yet, still demo'ing and researching, oh yeah and that budget thing too. Just buying or borrowing a mount ahead of time that may or not be right puts me out $100 or more unnecessarily since it'll at least take 4-6 months to even have the can in my possession anyway. So we know because of the barrel profile I need it done 1/2x28, but he says he needs to know how far to thread the barrel back. Would it be sufficient to tell him to do it to work with an A2 flash hider because most can mounts in 1/2x28 have AR's in mind and that's what they've got?
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things with insane laws...it's...insane!" -- Penn Jillette

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Yeah.. Have him match any known good make of AR threaded barrel.

By the way... most decent dealers will let you take the mount while you wait for the stamp.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    84 (100%)
    Be sure you can find a .30 cal adapter that's threaded for 1/2-28. I've never looked for one but most .30 cal adapters are 5/8-24. Not saying it can't be done, just suggesting you to look into that before you get too far.

Feedback Score

Standard thread size is 5/8 x 24

5/8ths of an inch is .625" Take away .308" and you have muzzle walls of .317"/2 = .1585" per side.

A 1/2 x 28 thread would leave .192"/2 = .096" per side at the muzzle.

Please refer to this PDF when considering a muzzle threading.

http://www.silencertalk.com/AAC-thread-guide.pdf

Thank you
    Last edited by 308sako; 04-23-13 at 13:05. Reason: I'm stupid at times...