Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: ATF to close trust "loophole."

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by davidjinks View Post
    Lets say it does get shut down. Lets say the ATF comes out and says everyone who has NFA items through a trust has to go back through the process and re-do their paperwork/stamps.

What happens to the people who cannot get CLEO approval?

That's the only reason I went the trust route. My CLEO told me face to face that he will never sign off on this stuff.

What happens then?
    I think it would be more likely instead of voiding the trust, they would at the maximum require that all the trustees undergo a background check but more likely require for trusts going forward. And IIRC the ATF has an NPR out and is (or was) taking public comment about that as well as getting rid of the CLEO requirement for both trusts and individuals.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TriumphRat675 View Post
    Before they can rewrite the regulations, they have to give the public advance notice and solicit comments.
    I believe we're already beyond that step.

The Department of Justice is proposing to amend the regulations of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) regarding the making or transferring of a firearm under the National Firearms Act. The proposed regulations would (1) add a definition for the term “responsible person”; (2) require each responsible person of a corporation, trust or legal entity to complete a specified form, and to submit photographs and fingerprints; (3) require that a copy of all applications to make or transfer a firearm be forwarded to the chief law enforcement officer (CLEO) of the locality in which the maker or transferee is located; and (4) eliminate the requirement for a certification signed by the CLEO.
    http://www.reginfo.gov/public/do/eAg...&RIN=1140-AA43
    Last edited by Hmac; 04-25-13 at 10:29.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    They're not talking about stopping trusts and revoking stamps from NFA items owned by a trust...

The proposed regulations would (1) add a definition for the term "responsible person"; (2) require each responsible person of a corporation, trust or legal entity to complete a specified form, and to submit photographs and fingerprints; (3) require that a copy of all applications to make or transfer a firearm be forwarded to the chief law enforcement officer (CLEO) of the locality in which the maker or transferee is located; and (4) eliminate the requirement for a certification signed by the CLEO.

They're making it more painful to use a trust than it is to do it in your own name.

I don't entirely disagree with any of the proposed regulations except in principle that they're regulating them at all. But if we're staying consistent, 1 is a wash, 2 is just being consistent in removing a loophole, 3 is interesting in that it only matters with 4, which I completely agree with.

So we're closing a loophole and removing CLEO sign off (they just get a courtesy copy now). And no one who currently has tax stamps in their trust will be affected. Sounds good to me.
    Last edited by Koshinn; 04-25-13 at 10:31.

Feedback Score
    Correct. I was referring to any additional end-of-the-world type changes not referenced in the current proposal.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

ATF to close trust "loophole."

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I know this is "old news"... but didn't Hussein appoint some new Thug to head up BATF???

There maybe a Chicago bred corrupt ****er nosing around and looking to overstep his authority now.
    He nominated Traver, who is an anti-gun douchebag from Chicago, but he hasn't been confirmed.

This is a direct result of that sack of dog crap Dorner, who name-checked NFA trusts as a "loophole" in his nutty manifesto. The New York Times caught the scent and brought it into the mainstream. Now the liberal elite is pearl-clutching at the proletariat being able to obtain 17.9" barrelled shotguns without a CLEO's direct involvement.
    This isn't an illegal gun, it's an "undocumented protection device". Don't be so insensitive.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Traveshamockery View Post
    He nominated Traver, who is an anti-gun douchebag from Chicago, but he hasn't been confirmed.

This is a direct result of that sack of dog crap Dorner, who name-checked NFA trusts as a "loophole" in his nutty manifesto. The New York Times caught the scent and brought it into the mainstream. Now the liberal elite is pearl-clutching at the proletariat being able to obtain 17.9" barrelled shotguns without a CLEO's direct involvement.
    That piece of shit Dorner.....
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    A quick request, gents: while I confess that I share in your disillusionment with the current administration and many of its policies, it would be appreciated if we collectively referred to the office of the president -- and the man himself -- without the creative (and clearly denigratory) nicknames.

This is not a matter of violating our forum rules, per se; just a case where we should probably strive to take the high road, since there is nowhere to go with this sort of thing but down. There are far more respectful ways to be disrespectful.

AC
    Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here. -- Captain John Parker, Lexington, 1775.

Feedback Score
    Thank y'all for fleshing this out, I feel better.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Army Chief View Post
    A quick request, gents: while I confess that I share in your disillusionment with the current administration and many of its policies, it would be appreciated if we collectively referred to the office of the president -- and the man himself -- without the creative (and clearly denigratory) nicknames.

This is not a matter of violating our forum rules, per se; just a case where we should probably strive to take the high road, since there is nowhere to go with this sort of thing but down. There are far more respectful ways to be disrespectful.

AC
    Is referring to him as "Hussein" really out of line? It is, in fact, his real middle name.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Traveshamockery View Post
    This is a direct result of that sack of dog crap Dorner, who name-checked NFA trusts as a "loophole" in his nutty manifesto.
    No. This predates Dorner by a wide margin.

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast