Thread: Modifying FAL mags for the SCAR17 (UPDATED)

Feedback Score

Modifying FAL mags for the SCAR17 (UPDATED)

I'd love to hear from anyone who has tried this. I have plenty of 20rd OEM SCAR mags, so I wasn't really interested in converting a 20rd FAL mag, but a 30rd stick is intriguing.

Aim Surplus has DSA 30rd mags for $20, so I thought I'd try a few out. There's a tutorial on FNF about this, so my procedure is very similar.

I flattened out the locking tab on the leading edge of the mag using a hammer and a punch clamped in a vise, and then using a micrometer, located the spot where the lock hole should be, marked it off. I then used a drill to remove the majority of the steel. I filed it to be 10mm wide and SLIGHTLY less than 6.5mm high, so I could fit the hole precisely once I test fitted it to the gun. This would ensure a snug fit.

My 4 DSA mags seem to have wider feed lips than other FAL mags, but that doesn't seem to affect anything. The height, however is different, and the FAL mags needed the lips raised a bit.

The end result hand cycles both live and dummy rounds, locks the bolt to the rear when empty, and drops free with no assistance.

This obviously isn't a conclusive test, as live fire is a whole different ball game, but it's an encouraging start. I will update when I get to the range with them. Hopefully later this week.

If anyone else has tried this, please let me know how it went and what tricks (if any) you used to get the mags running.

UPDATE:

I was finally able to put some rounds through the mag. The result was all 30rds of CBC FMJ fired with zero problems. No hesitations, partial chambering, early lock-opens, etc. This included slow and rapid fire, triples and pairs.

In case anyone's interested, there are a few lessons I learned in the process:

-When locating the hole for the mag catch, the top and right side are the easiest to do. Measure your SCAR mag from the feed lips to the top of the hole. Then measure from the rear spine to the right edge of the hole. Measure several times and be sure. Taping the area off is good. Scribing the square is good. Doing both is better. The final hole should measure 10x6.5mm, but DON'T try to make this on your first cut. Make your hole about 5.5mm high and file it to proper dimensions once you have the hole roughed in. There are many different makes of FAL mags, so always test fit like mad to make sure yours locks up properly during this process.

-I ended up filing the feed lips to match the SCAR's as closely as possible. To ensure I didn't screw them up, I loaded two rounds into each mag, and took measurements starting at the end of the case and proceeded in intervals down the length of the bullet. I then bent the lips VERY slightly upwards, as the SCAR's are slightly higher than the FAL's.

-Dry-cycling is a poor substitute for live fire, but it will tell you where the obvious issues are. Don't baby the charging handle, though. Rip it back.

I plan on modifying the other two I have as well using the same method. Hopefully I wasn't just lucky with the first one.

Last edited by 1911-A1; 05-26-13 at 12:28.

Feedback Score
    Thanks. Like you, I probably have enough real mags for now, but I keep seeing those 30-rd FAL mags and wondering why not.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Never seen that done pretty neat
    "After I shot myself, my training took over and I called my parents..." Texas Grebner

"Take me with a grain of salt, my sarcasm does not relate well over the internet"

Jonathan Morehouse

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I'm still surprised no shop has started selling modded FAL mags

Feedback Score
    84 (100%)
    That's a pretty slick looking idea. I too am surprised that no one has sold modded FAL mags.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by eternal24k View Post
    I'm still surprised no shop has started selling modded FAL mags
    It's a lot of work for what probably isn't a great profit margin after you figure in labor and materials, plus the mag is a total loss if you file a tiny bit too much from the lips. Then there's the proof testing to ensure you got it right, which requires a full mag.

My mag with un-filed feedlips hand-cycled fine with 5rds in it, but when I filled it with 30rds, I got FTFs on the left side. Once I tweaked them, it hand-cycled fine.

I hope to get that mag to the range tomorrow to see if I got it right.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    There are multiple reports of people modifying FAL mags for the 17 back in the early days after its release. They don't fare well and apparently become peened at the front by the rounds moving aft under recoil. I believe Buddyhoohaw posted something about this a few years ago.

Search this forum and fnforum.net.
    Last edited by JoshNC; 04-28-13 at 20:55.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshNC View Post
    There are multiple reports of people modifying FAL mags for the 17 back in the early days after its release. They don't fare well and apparently become peened at the front by the rounds moving aft under recoil. I believe Buddyhoohaw posted something about this a few years ago.

Search this forum and fnforum.net.
    Interesting thoughts. I'll have to watch mine, although I doubt I'll be able to afford to wear them out anyhow.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911-A1 View Post
    Interesting thoughts. I'll have to watch mine, although I doubt I'll be able to afford to wear them out anyhow.
    I cannot find the thread I am thinking of and cannot recall exact details, but I do recall there being issues. Will be interested to hear how yours work out long term.
    Last edited by JoshNC; 04-29-13 at 02:18.

Feedback Score
    Original post updated