Thread: Adjustable Gas Block Options for SBR?

Feedback Score

Question Adjustable Gas Block Options for SBR?

What are the available options for an adjustable gas block for a SBR?

I'm aware of the Noveske Switchblock and Innovative Arms W.A.R. upper; both can basically be adjusted on-the-fly.

What are some other options that are out there?

I'm looking at a 10.5-12.5" upper w/ a suppressor. I would really prefer the upper to function both with & without the suppressor, but in all actuality, will probably run the suppressor at least +80% of the time.

Reducing chamber gas/crud, softening recoil, and reducing cycle-rate are the main objectives.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

adjustable gas block

Micro Moa Govanah. go to micromoa.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyrott View Post
    Micro Moa Govanah. go to micromoa.com
    Thanks!

Yes, we make a new patent pending modular, tool less gas block. Modular in that the regulator plates can be swapped out for various calibers, gas length systems or ammunition. Tool less in that you just use a bullet to push the regulator plate.

Also, unlike all other tool less adjustable gas methods on the market, the Micromoa Govnah is the only one that uses a standard un-modified gas tube.

Also works under most rail systems. Knights URX, Noveske NSR, Troy etc..
    Picture below is from the Legion Firearms booth at the 2013 Shot Show. They have adopted the Govnah for their suppressed builds. 4 out of the 6 rifles below are using the Micromoa Govnah.

Here is a link to a previous thread here on M4carbine.net where the Govnah was discussed: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...=118010&page=7

Plenty more information and videos on my website: http://micromoa.com
    Let me know if you have any questions.
    Thanks!
    Last edited by MicroMOA; 04-26-13 at 10:32.
    President of MicroMOA and a corporate member of Artisan Arms

Feedback Score

Adjustable Gas Block Options for SBR?

Check this out:
    http://slrrifleworks.com/da7-black-r...agement-system

12 position, low profile gas block with detent at each position unlike screw type blocks. Should be easy to find right gassing for suppressed and unsuppressed regardless of load.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TXAG45 View Post
    What are the available options for an adjustable gas block for a SBR?

I'm aware of the Noveske Switchblock and Innovative Arms W.A.R. upper; both can basically be adjusted on-the-fly.

What are some other options that are out there?

I'm looking at a 10.5-12.5" upper w/ a suppressor. I would really prefer the upper to function both with & without the suppressor, but in all actuality, will probably run the suppressor at least +80% of the time.

Reducing chamber gas/crud, softening recoil, and reducing cycle-rate are the main objectives.
    Similar situation to yours. I've got a 11.5" upper, waiting for stamp approval for my Saker.
    Planning on running suppressed most of the time, but wanted easily accessible adjustment to run unsuppressed, as well as not being restricted on what handguard I wanted to use.
    Thus, I decided to give the Micromoa Govnah a go.
    Just installed it recently, but haven't run it yet. More info down the road once I get some good use on it.
    http://youtu.be/fOt78y1xbFE

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MicroMOA View Post
    Also, unlike all other tool less adjustable gas methods on the market, the Micromoa Govnah is the only one that uses a standard un-modified gas tube.
    Don't the SYRAC, and Switchblock use the standard gas tube?
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Salad0892 View Post
    Don't the SYRAC, and Switchblock use the standard gas tube?
    I said 'tool less'. The Syrac requires an allen wrench for adjustment.

The Noveske SB uses a proprietary straight gas tube. With the Noveske SB, the gas tube is now a moving part. When you rotate the knob, the tube rotates with it.
    Last edited by MicroMOA; 05-23-13 at 19:09.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MicroMOA View Post
    I said 'tool less'. The Syrac requires an allen wrench for adjustment.

The Noveske SB uses a proprietary straight gas tube. With the Noveske SB, the gas tube is now a moving part. When you rotate the knob, the tube rotates with it.
    When will the 3-position plates be available? Also, will there be an option to order custom plates?

Here's what y'all need to offer - a plate calibration kit. Create a chart with about 15 different port hole sizes and create a 5-plate set (3 positions per plate) that the customer can either purchase or borrow (w/deposit) the whole set, so they can figure out which port sizes they want on a their custom 3-position plates. For example, I'd be interested in a suppressed 3/pos. plate that has a setting for weak ammo like Wolf, standard ammo like WWB/AE, and mil-spec loadings in the 3rd position, all for use when suppressed. Also, a 3-pos. plate setup for the 3 same types of ammo for when the rifle isn't suppressed. The plates appear easy enough to change out, so you could keep the extras stored in the grip for easy access.

Just a suggestion. If y'all decide to do this, maybe y'all could send a set my way for long-term testing and eval!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TXAG45 View Post
    When will the 3-position plates be available? Also, will there be an option to order custom plates?

Here's what y'all need to offer - a plate calibration kit. Create a chart with about 15 different port hole sizes and create a 5-plate set (3 positions per plate) that the customer can either purchase or borrow (w/deposit) the whole set, so they can figure out which port sizes they want on a their custom 3-position plates. For example, I'd be interested in a suppressed 3/pos. plate that has a setting for weak ammo like Wolf, standard ammo like WWB/AE, and mil-spec loadings in the 3rd position, all for use when suppressed. Also, a 3-pos. plate setup for the 3 same types of ammo for when the rifle isn't suppressed. The plates appear easy enough to change out, so you could keep the extras stored in the grip for easy access.

Just a suggestion. If y'all decide to do this, maybe y'all could send a set my way for long-term testing and eval!
    I was hoping we would have the 3 positions out a month ago....but we are behind schedule. We are running them right now and yes we are doing a run of custom plates for both two and 3 position. After we get done machining them we still have to send them out for nitriding.

We do use a 'calibration' kit internally and have talked about offering it as 'gunsmith' kit. So you don't have to have a 'machine shop' at the range. Basically, just have regulator plates from .043" all the way to .125". .125" is the maximum since that is the ID of the gas tube. Actually had to use that for 16" carbine gas Blackout, subsonic Hornady, un-suppressed and H2 buffer.
    More info on the Blackout testing here: http://micromoa.com/?page_id=496
    As mentioned in that link, so many variables that it is hard to come up with port sizes for everyone. For 5.56/.223 you have much more pressure to deal with and it is easier assuming everyone is running supersonic and using an H2 buffer. However, not everyone is using an H2 buffer. A lot of buffer options out there these days and I've got almost all of them. I used to play around with changing buffers a lot but no longer do that. I believe it is better to control the gas than to swap buffers. I think an H2 is all that is needed in order to stop bolt bounce. Any heavier and it is just adding more reciprocating mass. If you have no way to control the gas, then sure a heavier buffer will do the job. I still use heavy buffers for 9mm blowback configurations.

While changing plates is easy, I don't see it as something you would do in the field since you would most likely have to remove your rail to get to the gas block.

The custom two position plates will just have a .046" port on one side and a center drilled hole on the side (not bored all the way through). Some people have asked for on and off. So if you don't want off you can drill all the way through.

The custom 3 positions will have .046 on either side and center drilled in the middle (again not bored all the way through). So you can have shut off or drill all the way through.

1st step before actual installation is to determine the size of the port in the barrel. Many manufacturers use .0625 or .063 for a 14.5/16" carbine gas so we should be aligned with one of our 14.5/16" carbine gas plates to the gas port in the barrel. All other configurations seem to be all over the place with various barrel makers. Every block currently comes with 2 plates. We always say that the block should be installed with the largest port even if you don't plan on using it so that it will be aligned when going to a smaller port. If you want to take that a step further you can always drill out one of the plates to have a hole matching the port in the barrel then perform alignment/installation with that....which leads me back to the custom plates. The Govnah custom plate option will be sold as one block with two custom plates. So someone that really wants to tune their setup should drill out one of the ports of one of the custom plates to be perfectly aligned with the gas port of their barrel then perform installation. If their gun is already over-gassed then they can use that plate position as their 'high' position or just use that plate for calibration to work their way up on the ports to their needs.
    The custom plates will also be available seperately.

Would like to do a 'gunsmith/calibration' kit later but just need to get caught up with the 2/3 position standard and custom offerings first.

Thanks!
    Last edited by MicroMOA; 05-24-13 at 01:02.