Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Form 4 processing feedback when tax paid with USPS money order.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Form 4 processing feedback when tax paid with USPS money order.

I realize that any status check on a pending NFA transaction is only a phone call away, but I've got a couple in the wind right now, and am closing on six months, plus. These were paid with postal money orders, vice a personal check, and as this is the first time I've taken that particular approach, it never occurred to me that I wouldn't see my payment clear the bank (thus, confirming receipt).

Has anyone paid a transfer tax with a money order before, and if so, does this effectively result in a "silent" transaction where the approved stamp just suddenly arrives one day ... or should there have been some kind of confirmation along the way? I can't really imagine what that would be, but it just feels odd to wait for so long with no clear indication that the wheels are turning.

AC
    Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here. -- Captain John Parker, Lexington, 1775.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Form 4 processing feedback when tax paid with USPS money order.

Hey Chuck,

You can go to the post office and pay the $5.50 (give or take) inquiry fee per money order and they'll let you know if they have been chased or not. You'll need the money order receipt and they can check while you wait.

I don't know if this service is available online or not. It might be now but I didn't see it. Obviously an ATF status check would make more sense.

As far as I know, you won't receive any confirmation from the ATF. You'll just receive it when it's time.
    Last edited by jonconsiglio; 04-27-13 at 10:21.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~ Paul Howe

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Makes perfect sense, thanks.

I suppose the other piece of encouraging non-news in all of this is that I haven't seen my forms returned for correction(s). Just feels like a very different process with this "newer" approach to payment.

AC
    Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here. -- Captain John Parker, Lexington, 1775.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Army Chief View Post
    Makes perfect sense, thanks.

I suppose the other piece of encouraging non-news in all of this is that I haven't seen my forms returned for correction(s). Just feels like a very different process with this "newer" approach to payment.

AC
    Even if you do the correction takes no longer than about 10 days.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score

Re: Form 4 processing feedback when tax paid with USPS money order.

ATF cashes checks and money orders as soon as they receive them and the stamps just randomly show up.

Last NFA stamps I did were cashed on a Sunday.

If you haven't heard anything then they are in the pile waiting with everyone else.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I was told by Dana Pickels, last Form 1 I sent in, that "payment received" was one of the things on their final checklist before approval. All the interval steps (FBI, CLEO etc) are done while the application is "pending" he gets the checklist, reviews the form as the last step. I suspect that when the application finally hits the desk of the examiner for approval, that might be the first they notice that payment hasn't been received. OTOH, if the application is "pending", that means they received it and presumably the money order in the same envelope. It's the US Post Office. What could go wrong?

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    It's the US Post Office. What could go wrong?
    Of course. I don't even know what I was thinking.

AC

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The current time from ATF getting your forms and check and it going pending is now close to 8 weeks. I sent my paperwork on Jan 25th and it went pending on March 11. Given that you are already 6 months into the wait I'd say that you should get your stamp within the next month if not a week or so sooner.

Feedback Score
    43 (98%)
    I paid with a USPS Money order for my SBR. It took between 6.5-7 months if I recall for my stamp to come back. I paid with a personal check for my suppressor. They cashed my check w/in 2 weeks of sending in the paperwork. I was getting a little worried about the SBR after 6 months past because I hadn't heard a word, but it all worked out in the end.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm at 6 1/2 months now on my form 1, and 3 1/2 months into my form 4.
    Marriage is a good institution, considering you're ready for one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast