Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AR friendly range in our neck of the woods?

Feedback Score

AR friendly range in our neck of the woods?

Can anyone recommend a good, AR-friendly range within a "do-able" distance from NYC? I would guess it would have to be in PA as NY, NJ and CT seem to be enemy territory at this point. I'm looking to find a range for those with non-ban compliant ARs to shoot too.

Looking for:

• at least 100 yards, preferably 200/300
    • no problems with 30 round mags
    • no problems with "evil" black rifles and those horrible "characteristics"

I am assuming that ammo will become available sometime in the future and I may actually want to shoot again. Got some strong advice from M4C'ers and others not to go back to Jersey and I'm in agreement. Sad as the public range there was less than $50/year and $4/hour. Close and cheap, too good to last I suppose.

Thanks guys, I do appreciate any info. Lot of nothing when using NRA site to locate so I'm posting for you to "sell your range" and why it's good/bad.

Thanks again.

Roc
    Last edited by rocsteady; 05-01-13 at 09:39. Reason: removed a "requirement"
    "Why "zombies"? Because calling it 'training to stop a rioting, starving, panicking, desperate mob after a complete governmental financial collapse apocalypse' is just too wordy." or in light of current events: training to stop a rioting, looting, molotov cocktail throwing, skinny jeans wearing, uneducated bunch of lemmings duped by, or working directly for, a marxist organization attempting to tear down America while hiding behind a race-based name

Feedback Score

Really?

Really? Nothing? No one knows of one or no one wants to give up any secrets?

Please PM me if you don't want the info to go "public".
    "Why "zombies"? Because calling it 'training to stop a rioting, starving, panicking, desperate mob after a complete governmental financial collapse apocalypse' is just too wordy." or in light of current events: training to stop a rioting, looting, molotov cocktail throwing, skinny jeans wearing, uneducated bunch of lemmings duped by, or working directly for, a marxist organization attempting to tear down America while hiding behind a race-based name

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    I don't know if I would call it AR-friendly, but I went to Davis Shooting Sports in Goshen, NY last week and I was able to shoot there.

Pro's:
    No one asked me about my magazines or the features of my rifle (I'm an LEO but I didn't tell them and they didn't ask so there's that).
    Clean, climate controlled and indoors
    Easy to get to off of Rt. 17
    100 yard range with fast target carriers
    After going over the rules and how to use the carrier no one said another word to me until I was leaving

Con's:
    Only 5 rounds allowed in each magazine at a time
    No rapid fire/double taps
    You can only shoot sitting down
    No magnetic ammo of any kind

You won't be doing any hardcore training there but for zeroing or getting some trigger time it's a good range. It was about $22 for an hour. When I went it wasn't crowded at all and I definately went over the hour, but no one said anything and they didn't charge me for it. I'll definately go back.
    Last edited by TF82; 05-05-13 at 04:16.

Feedback Score

I'll give it a try

Quote Originally Posted by TF82 View Post
    I don't know if I would call it AR-friendly, but I went to Davis Shooting Sports in Goshen, NY last week and I was able to shoot there.

Pro's:
    No one asked me about my magazines or the features of my rifle (I'm an LEO but I didn't tell them and they didn't ask so there's that).
    Clean, climate controlled and indoors
    Easy to get to off of Rt. 17
    100 yard range with fast target carriers
    After going over the rules and how to use the carrier no one said another word to me until I was leaving

Con's:
    Only 5 rounds allowed in each magazine at a time
    No rapid fire/double taps
    You can only shoot sitting down
    No magnetic ammo of any kind

You won't be doing any hardcore training there but for zeroing or getting some trigger time it's a good range. It was about $22 for an hour. When I went it wasn't crowded at all and I definately went over the hour, but no one said anything and they didn't charge me for it. I'll definately go back.
    I went to Wicen's in Furlong, PA a couple weeks ago and it was pretty good, 100 yard range, folks that worked there were very friendly and it was someplace I'd go again. It's a bit of a hike though, so going to take your advice and try Davis in next week or two.

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rocsteady View Post
    Can anyone recommend a good, AR-friendly range within a "do-able" distance from NYC? I would guess it would have to be in PA as NY, NJ and CT seem to be enemy territory at this point. I'm looking to find a range for those with non-ban compliant ARs to shoot too.

Looking for:

• at least 100 yards, preferably 200/300
    • no problems with 30 round mags
    • no problems with "evil" black rifles and those horrible "characteristics"

I am assuming that ammo will become available sometime in the future and I may actually want to shoot again. Got some strong advice from M4C'ers and others not to go back to Jersey and I'm in agreement. Sad as the public range there was less than $50/year and $4/hour. Close and cheap, too good to last I suppose.

Thanks guys, I do appreciate any info. Lot of nothing when using NRA site to locate so I'm posting for you to "sell your range" and why it's good/bad.

Thanks again.

Roc
    Have you ever gone to any of the public state ranges in PA? There is one in Jim Thorpe with 100/200/300. You can only load 3 rounds at a time which sucks, but the range gets the job done. Without a PA hunting license, the fee is $30 for the year, which ain't bad.
    On the seventh day God rested; Marines filled sandbags

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the suggestion. I will look into it.

Since I started the thread I've been to a place in Furlong, PA called Wicen's. It has a 100 yard rifle range, isn't expensive but it does have these odd shooting contraptions where you have to sit at a bench under a concrete slab that slopes down sharply over your head and, combined with a ballistic "wall" 10 yards or so downrange, serves to make it damn near impossible to shoot over the berm and out of the range. No limit on rounds in the mag, the staff is really good and helpful and they had no issues with me setting up and using my chronograph last visit.

I also was going to try Davis Shooting Sports in Goshen, NY as per another recommendation. Indoor 100 yard range, which one advantage is the targets coming to you to check/change rather than having to wait for cease-fire like outdoor ranges. Appears that you can stand and shoot in addition to sitting which is good.

Anyway, both seem fine for checking accuracy and just sending rounds downrange, but almost useless to practice anything remotely tactical in nature; but then again, outside of training for work, that's most ranges.

Thanks again for the suggestion, I will look further into the PA ranges.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rocsteady View Post

Anyway, both seem fine for checking accuracy and just sending rounds downrange, but almost useless to practice anything remotely tactical in nature; but then again, outside of training for work, that's most ranges.
    +1

May I also suggest making friends with someone who has a shitload of property
    On the seventh day God rested; Marines filled sandbags

Feedback Score

Ironically...

Funny you should say that; finally stumbled on the perfect answer. Friend of a friend has a place near Stroudsburg with lots of property, a 200 yard range, freedom to move about and shoot at will...and about a month after hearing about it I find out he's moving. We're looking into purchasing some of the property but who knows?

The search continues...

Feedback Score
    you can go to Calverton, its exit 71 i think on the LIE. 50/100 & 200yd options. During the week it's less crowded = safer

the RO's are cool as long as you obey the rules and use common sense, which unfortunately is not very common these days. The other week I was waiting in line and some idiot was outside his car fanning around with his AR.... Super cool

it was 10 or 15$ and no time limit, if you do go bring a towel or a mat to cover the bench, they are kinda "worn"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dcnyli View Post
    you can go to Calverton, its exit 71 i think on the LIE. 50/100 & 200yd options. During the week it's less crowded = safer

the RO's are cool as long as you obey the rules and use common sense, which unfortunately is not very common these days. The other week I was waiting in line and some idiot was outside his car fanning around with his AR.... Super cool

it was 10 or 15$ and no time limit, if you do go bring a towel or a mat to cover the bench, they are kinda "worn"
    Thank you for this; have been away a while and didn't see it. Will give it a try.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast