Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 1911 Add on rail

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    IZ, does the CT lightguard fit in a safariland holster for lights?

Quote Originally Posted by IZinterrogator View Post
    If you just want a light and you haven't already purchased it, why not go with the Crimson Trace Lightguard for non-railed 1911s? Skip the gunsmithing required for the Dawson rail and the possibility of malfunctions with the MR07.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Re: 1911 Add on rail

I don't know because I don't own a Safariland holster, but if it isn't light specific, it should. It takes up less space than the footprint of an X300.
    Disclaimer: I work for Suarez International as a customer service representative.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    The X300U is the best of the breed when it comes to pistol mounted lights, IMO. Couple that with lots of holster compatibility, and it's the easy choice when picking a WML. If it takes a gunsmith to get it onto my 1911, then the cost/effort seems reasonable to me.
    "you give peace a chance, I'll stay here and cover you, in case it doesn't work out"

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rathos View Post
    IZ, does the CT lightguard fit in a safariland holster for lights?
    I doubt it. I had to take a dremel and saw to my ALS just to allow enough space for the surefire DG switch. The DG is MUCH slimmer than the CT, under the triggerguard. As I understand, Safariland does not think that usage of the DG switch (or ANY remote switch) is high enough to warrant a change in the holster.
    Last edited by theJanitor; 06-21-13 at 12:14.
    "you give peace a chance, I'll stay here and cover you, in case it doesn't work out"

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    I doubt it. I had to take a dremel and saw to my ALS just to allow enough space for the surefire DG switch. The DG is MUCH slimmer than the CT, under the triggerguard. As I understand, Safariland does not think that usage of the DG switch (or ANY remote switch) is high enough to warrant a change in the holster.
    Well then, maybe not.

But how do you get the mounted light in when the bezel is larger than the trigger guard plus DG switch and runs down the same track? That just doesn't sound right.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I should have clarified better. the only safarilands I have are for glocks. as you can see from this pic, the lowest hanging part is the DG switch, not the bezel of the light.

as shown in this pic of a 1911, the lowest parts of the assembly are the battery cover latch and the switch, under the triggerguard. when you shove a DG switch pistol into a holster like the als, you end up tearing off the protective sheath covering the switch

for my 1911 with the x300u, I ordered a Raven, as this is a standard order item for them, but I am not currently running a DG switch on my 1911
    Last edited by theJanitor; 06-21-13 at 15:06.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

1911 Add on rail

Does the Mars require an adapter other than what already comes with the X300? I looked on their website but didn't see any mention of an adapter like the Dawson had.

Also, just to clarify do the Mars light mounts fit in kydex holsters designed for railed 1911's with lights?
    ἰδέτωσαν, ἱστορησάτωσαν οἱ ἄνθρωποι ἄνθρωπον ἀληθινὸν κατὰ φύσινζῶντα.

Videant, cognoverunt hominis hominem verum secundum naturam suam viventem.

Let men see, let them know, a real man, who lives as he was meant to live.
    - Marcus Aurelius

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    you'll still need an adapter: http://www.dawsonprecision.com/Categ...DP+Light+Rails

for a rig like a safariland duty holster, you may be able to get away with a holster for a bigger light, like the M3/6. but for a molded holster like a raven, you need to order it specifically for the Dawson rail

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

1911 Add on rail

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    you'll still need an adapter: http://www.dawsonprecision.com/Categ...DP+Light+Rails

for a rig like a safariland duty holster, you may be able to get away with a holster for a bigger light, like the M3/6. but for a molded holster like a raven, you need to order it specifically for the Dawson rail
    Does Raven still make a holster for Dawson railed 1911's?

For the price, the Novak rail seems like the better value plus they state that it should fit most light holsters for railed 1911's.

Anyone have any experience with the Novak?
    Last edited by Ouroborous; 06-22-13 at 12:06.
    ἰδέτωσαν, ἱστορησάτωσαν οἱ ἄνθρωποι ἄνθρωπον ἀληθινὸν κατὰ φύσινζῶντα.

Videant, cognoverunt hominis hominem verum secundum naturam suam viventem.

Let men see, let them know, a real man, who lives as he was meant to live.
    - Marcus Aurelius

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Yes, they do. I just got my new one a couple months ago, when I switched from the X300a to the X300U. they don't even have an option for the novak or caspian rail.

Remember, that the lowest profile rail, will be a railed frame. the next slimmest is the dawson, the next being rails like the Novak. in holster systems like the safariland duty holsters, you can shove the 1911/novak/surefire light into a holster made for a bigger light. But in tightly fitted holsters like the raven, it's a no-go. the holster has to perfectly match the contours of the gun.

Hilton Yam's 1911 Light Resource describes the pros and cons of the various rails. Note that they do not endorse the dawson anymore, mainly because you can get frames with a light rail from the factory, and the surefire adapter is very specific. However, IMO, if you have a frame that you WANT a light rail on, and you want to use a surefire, it's the best option.

http://www.10-8performance.com/pages...-Resource.html

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast