Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Building a precision .308 semi auto rig around a suppressor

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)

Building a precision .308 semi auto rig around a suppressor

I have a spare, brand new AAC 762SD that's just wasting space.

I'd like to buy a rifle for it but I'm confused as to which platform would perform best while suppressed.

Of course I like the AR series. The M1A has the usual scope-mounting issues.

I had a SCAR-H. Great weapon but the recoil on that was pretty stupid and it just didn't lend itself to being a precision rifle setup.

The MRP seems to be a fan among many here, but they are unavailable everywhere.

The Larue series seems to be 50/50 on people liking them or hating them.

Anything you guys can recommend? I was hoping to get a Colt but I can't find those anywhere either.

I will be doing 500+ yard shots in the prone. I'm not lugging it around at the alert but would still prefer it to be as light as possible.
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 05-02-13 at 08:11.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    there are 300 blk barrels all over the place. just build an upper and an SBR lower

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by taliv View Post
    there are 300 blk barrels all over the place. just build an upper and an SBR lower
    I'm looking for a .308 long range rifle. Unless supersonic 300BLK has gotten ridiculously potent in the last few months, I don't think it's going to do pretty well at 700 yards.

I already have two SBR lowers and a 300BLK upper.

You can watch me shoot them here.

Feedback Score
    I'd love to recommend H&K MR762. I run a can on mine occasionally, and it is surprisingly accurate weapon. But, as much as I love the rifle it seems to be bit picky on the can/can type. There are some conflicting reviews on function with cans, and some people haven't got perfect function out of it.

Mine (MR308 with 20" barrel) has been 100% reliable for 1500 or so rounds of varying quality, naked, braked or canned. And it is cabable of half a MOA at 300 metres.

Ps. a switchable gas block would make functioning certain, but they run at $800 even in Europe.
    Last edited by Jippo; 05-02-13 at 11:40.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jippo View Post
    I'd love to recommend H&K MR762. I run a can on mine occasionally, and it is surprisingly accurate weapon. But, as much as I love the rifle it seems to be bit picky on the can/can type. There are some conflicting reviews on function with cans, and some people haven't got perfect function out of it.

Mine (MR308 with 20" barrel) has been 100% reliable for 1500 or so rounds of varying quality, naked, braked or canned. And it is cabable of half a MOA at 300 metres.

Ps. a switchable gas block would make functioning certain, but they run at $800 even in Europe.
    Yes, the issue with the MR308/762 is the lack of the AGR of the HK417.

Our HK417's have shot very accurately ( consistant sub-MOA and 0,5 MOA at best ) and reliably.

Apart from the MR762, I would recommend either the LaRue OBR or the LMT MWS LM7 / LM8.

For the MR762 you really would need to find the AGR or have a gunsmith install a gas adjustment screw on the gas block.

Feedback Score
    I'm running a SDN-6 on my LWRC REPR. So far it has been reliable and accurate. I haven't seen much shift in POI using the suppressor.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    The MRP seems to be a fan among many here, but they are unavailable everywhere.
    http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=sho...roduct_id=3604

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    ^Yep, I was just gonna say that Rainier seems to be getting a pretty steady supply of these lately. That LM8 w/ the SS barrel is my dream .308AR.
    "The future's uncertain, and the end is always near." Jim Morrison

"Fortuitous outcomes reinforce poor training and tactics"

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    I found a 16" MRP w/ CL (I'm assuming) barrel for $2899 locally.

Is this accurate enough for precision work or do I need the SS Barrel?

Will it function suppressed? Will it function well?

Why is this rifle $2899 and Rainier wants $3700?

They have two. One is 1/10 twist w/ the rail system and the other is 1/11.25 twist with the slick rail system.
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 05-07-13 at 10:11.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Re: Building a precision .308 semi auto rig around a suppressor

Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    I found a 16" MRP w/ CL (I'm assuming) barrel for $2899 locally.

Is this accurate enough for precision work or do I need the SS Barrel?

Will it function suppressed? Will it function well?

Why is this rifle $2899 and Rainier wants $3700?

They have two. One is 1/10 twist w/ the rail system and the other is 1/11.25 twist with the slick rail system.
    Slick rail vs old rail, ss vs cl, .308 vs 5.56. That's why Rainer charges $3700.

MRP refers to the LMT monolithic upper 5.56 rifle, MWS is the .308 version.
    Last edited by Koshinn; 05-07-13 at 10:17.
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me." Robert A. Heinlein

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast