Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 7mm Mag reloading

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I do have the IMR 4350 to try. H1000 was giving me over 3000 fps.... At this point, if i can get in the area 2900 with consistent POI and velocities, I'll take it.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    IMR 4350 should get you to over 3100fps with a 150gr bullet, and right up to 3000fps with a 160gr according to the Nosler manual I'm looking at. In both cases Nosler lists the max loads as the most accurate, which has been typical of my experience with that powder. It seems to work best for me when loads are on the upper end of the pressure scale.

I also looked at some results I got with Reloader 19 and Reloader 22, and those might be worth a look and both have ample data for 7mm Remington. I just got such good results with the IMR powders I stopped. I'll also note that I don't find H1000 listed in much load data until you get into cases that will take well over 80-90gr of powder like your various Weatherby, and Remington Ultra Mags. My guess is that H1000 is a bit too slow and is giving you trouble somehow. I'd say inconsistent burn and pressure but if your chronograph is showing a low standard deviation, then I could be totally wrong.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    My guess is that H1000 is a bit too slow and is giving you trouble somehow. I'd say inconsistent burn and pressure but if your chronograph is showing a low standard deviation, then I could be totally wrong.
    You may be right. See... I'll get a 3 shot group that's good. Then I'll come back when the gun is cool, and it'll all fall apart with huge velocity spreads.

Thanks... I'm jumping into IMR 4350 this weekend.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Good luck! Hope you get some consistent results, so you can start enjoying the rifle. If the rifle starts shooting let us know, I'm sure others can benefit from the knowledge.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I've had best results with RE-22 and H4831 in the 7 Mag, but that is with Nosler 160 gr. Accubonds and Sierra 168 gr. Match Kings.

Feedback Score
    Aaron Davidson on The Best of the West TV show makes some awesome long range shots using their rifles in 7 MM Rem Mag. Not sure of his load data but the Long Range Hunting Forum should have some good recipes.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Quick Draw View Post
    Aaron Davidson on The Best of the West TV show makes some awesome long range shots using their rifles in 7 MM Rem Mag. Not sure of his load data but the Long Range Hunting Forum should have some good recipes.
    Yep... I've watched their TV show. Part of the reason we got into long range shooting. They're big Hodgdon fans. I did try 4831 and 4831SC in another gun and never found THE load.
    I didn't get to shoot this weekend, but I'll have all week to brew up some test loads for next weekend.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    IMR 4350 seemed to help out a lot. I shot two groups of three with all holes touching. The second group being 60.5 grains with a better S.D.... 24 or something. Not thrilling, but the bullets were all going the same place.

I'm under 3000 fps Ave with a 24" barrel.... about 2989 if I remember right. I can't tell if I'm in a low node or if I should be happy there. 60.8 shows as max, but I have a Lyman manual with a 150 partition (i think) with 64.0 as max. ??

I'm chronoing at the muzzle with a Magnetospeed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12