Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7mm Mag reloading

Feedback Score

7mm Mag reloading

So I was going to buy a truck/varmit gun and just found out from a buddy of mine that he has a 110 savage 7mag that he doesnt want and said he would sell it to me for $150. So was wondering if anybody had ever loaded 115 to 120 grain bullets into a 7mag for varmit hunting and could give me a little info about them. I dont care what happens to the pelt just want them dead. Anything less than cruse misile destruction is unacceptable. Thanks
    Last edited by #LHB#; 05-02-13 at 18:34.

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    I don't load 7mm,,but kinda along the same lines,,I use to load 90grn HP in my 270 years ago,,lets just say,,OH BOY,,,sure was fun !! I'm sure the 7mm with those bullets will do the same & then some !!! Sounds like fun,,,,& a great price on the rifle !!!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by m1a_scoutguy View Post
    I don't load 7mm,,but kinda along the same lines,,I use to load 90grn HP in my 270 years ago,,lets just say,,OH BOY,,,sure was fun !! I'm sure the 7mm with those bullets will do the same & then some !!! Sounds like fun,,,,& a great price on the rifle !!!
    Yea that sounds like a fun little round to. This should be a wicked little round once I figure it all out.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    the only thing I can say about loading 7mm is it gets finicky near the upper end. I don't know why that is peculiar to this cartridge but it seems to be. small changes can cause wild pressure swings so be careful.

my favorite 7MM bullets are the 154gr Hornady Interlock SP. this is a flat base bullet that has been amazingly accurate. much better in 7Mag and .280 than the 139 BTSP.

of course Nosler ballistic tips have always worked well and I would think the 140 grain would be explosive on varmints at 7mag speeds...
    never push a wrench...

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    7mm Rem Mag has been the biggest pain in my ass. I've never been able to lick it. I thought I had a load for a hunting gun that was shooting just under MOA.

Then I go back after the gun cooled to confirm, and Velocity and POI go all over the place 3+ MOA.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I have shot some critters with the 115/120 gr 7m/m bullets. Absolute explosion! Been awhile so don't have load data handy but do remember it was a near max load of IMR 4831 which was about all that was available back then. With all the powders available now, no doubt you will find a load you like.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I'm playing with the Accubond Long Range 150 grainers now.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    7mm Rem Mag has been the biggest pain in my ass. I've never been able to lick it. I thought I had a load for a hunting gun that was shooting just under MOA.

Then I go back after the gun cooled to confirm, and Velocity and POI go all over the place 3+ MOA.
    Do you think this is due to the belted case making headspace less consistent or some other cause? I know that modern rifles still headspace belted cases on the datum line of the case shoulder, but I suppose inconsistent belt dimensions on the brass might still cause trouble.

I have had really good luck with my .280AI (yes I know it is a different cartridge..) which is reaching near 7mm Magnum velocities, in fact that particular rifle is monotonously boring with how accurate it is. In particular it loves 160gr Nosler Accubonds.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Do you think this is due to the belted case making headspace less consistent or some other cause? I know that modern rifles still headspace belted cases on the datum line of the case shoulder, but I suppose inconsistent belt dimensions on the brass might still cause trouble.
    I don't know. I'm having success with 300 WM... and using the same technique, and Norma brass. Weighing on a chargemaster... straight necks, chamber seating die with a arbor press.

I'm going to try a different powder or powders. I'm in H1000 now... and shoot some factory ammo for a control group.

Feedback Score
    For the 7mm Remington I would probably start with 4350 or 4831, both should give good consistent results although the velocities will be a bit lower than you will see with H1000. I also realize that both 4350 and 4831 are not terribly fancy nor as temperature insensitive as other choices, but in my anecdotal experience with cases in the .30-06 to .300 Win Mag capacity both powders tend to serve as a good starting point. I am especially fond of IMR 4350, I am almost convinced that if you have a rifle barrel that won't shoot a round loaded with 4350 it's probably not going to shoot anything well. I have tried H1000 as well and it didn't give me the results I was hoping for, but my case is smaller than a 7mm Rem Mag by a bit. Maybe H1000 is too slow for 7mm as well?

For reference the best load development groups I've ever worked up have all been with those two powders in the .280 AI with both 140gr and 160gr Nosler Accubonds. I would have to go look at my range notes but if memory serves I got some really nice results with 4350 and the 160gr Nosler Partition.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast