Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Build your own rifle question

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Army Chief View Post
    A peace officer looking into the matter would likely be startled by the lack of a serial number,
    The Form1 that should be with the firearm at all times should take care of that as it would show no serial number.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Build your own rifle question

Concur. I'm merely suggesting that this represents a very rarely-seen exception to the rule, and even if we're just talking about a Title I firearm, his first assumption would likely be that he's looking at a drop piece that has been illegally "sanitized" for street sales.

AC
    Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here. -- Captain John Parker, Lexington, 1775.

Feedback Score
    Ultimately, the thing that I don't understand is why someone would spend $200 on a stamp, but wouldn't be willing to pay the difference between their cost to build and a quality built receiver (either AR or AK). Generally, home built receivers are not up to good quality factory receivers. I say "good quality factory receivers" because there are junk receivers (either AR or AK) that are not worthy of being made in to SBR's. I know there are a few extremely talented people making AK receivers, but they are definitely the exception.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Army Chief View Post
    Perhaps we are two ships passing each other in the night, but I see no obvious difficulties with home-brewed non-NFA firearms. It is unlikely that such a weapon would ever generate any more or less attention than any other Title I firearm, and at worst, you may find yourself having to guide the authorities to the ATF web site to highlight the finer points of the law.

Where I see a potential train wreck is if/when a weapon is built that obviously falls under the provisions of the NFA because of barrel length (or overall length). These arms do generate more than their share of interest out on the line, and it is not uncommon for self-appointed do-gooders to ask about supporting paperwork. A peace officer looking into the matter would likely be startled by the lack of a serial number, but the real offense is creating a SBR without proper authorization -- the circumstances under which it was built are more or less irrelevant.

AC
    Ah.... got it.... sorry about that... obviously my reading comp skills are about that of Obama without a teleprompter!!!!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    The Form1 that should be with the firearm at all times should take care of that as it would show no serial number.
    I believe that all NFA firearms have to have a serial number. Either the serial number assigned by the original mfgr of the receiver being registered, or a unique serial number assigned by the registrant if using an 80% receiver.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I do believe that it is mandatory to provide a serial number when registering an NFA item. For an 80% home build rifle you would have to supply a serial number you make up yourself. You also must engrave your SBR or SBS with the manufacturer's name.
    Last edited by CarlosDJackal; 05-08-13 at 22:06.
    We must not believe the Evil One when he tells us that there is nothing we can do in the face of violence, injustice and sin. - Pope Francis I

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Ultimately, the thing that I don't understand is why someone would spend $200 on a stamp, but wouldn't be willing to pay the difference between their cost to build and a quality built receiver (either AR or AK). Generally, home built receivers are not up to good quality factory receivers. I say "good quality factory receivers" because there are junk receivers (either AR or AK) that are not worthy of being made in to SBR's. I know there are a few extremely talented people making AK receivers, but they are definitely the exception.
    I agree. I started this thread merely as an academic exercise. I have no plans to SBR the 80% receiver I am planning on building.
    We must not believe the Evil One when he tells us that there is nothing we can do in the face of violence, injustice and sin. - Pope Francis I

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12