Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Police traffic stop firefight in Ohio

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DTakas View Post
    I wondered if it happened before the new mag transport rule went into effect but I didn't bother to check the dates.
    I don't know why my brain didn't make the date-jump until just yesterday.

Also don't forget that a loaded 40 round mag is a no go in Ohio too.
    ^ Doh! To be honest, that was another thing I'd overlooked!

I need to slow down when watching online vids.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Possession of an OH CHL is absolutely NOT a requirement to be able to now legally transport loaded magazines so long as the relatively easy storage requirements are complied with and there is no ammo physically in the firearm.

I have no idea why people in this state love to invent shit that is clearly not in the law, and that's one of the reasons I left the OFCC forum long ago.

You are correct - I don't know if I simply misread others' posts, or if I invented it in my mind ([/i]ETA: it was both - there were misinformed posts, but there were counterposts which corrected for those mistakes...and I read too fast and did not properly absorb the points made in the counterposts[/I]) - regardless, my apologies for propagating misleading info. Pertinent sections of ORC follows:

(B) No person shall knowingly transport or have a loaded firearm in a motor vehicle in such a manner that the firearm is accessible to the operator or any passenger without leaving the vehicle.

(C) No person shall knowingly transport or have a firearm in a motor vehicle, unless the person may lawfully possess that firearm under applicable law of this state or the United States, the firearm is unloaded, and the firearm is carried in one of the following ways:

(1) In a closed package, box, or case;

(2) In a compartment that can be reached only by leaving the vehicle;

(3) In plain sight and secured in a rack or holder made for the purpose;

(4) If the firearm is at least twenty-four inches in overall length as measured from the muzzle to the part of the stock furthest from the muzzle and if the barrel is at least eighteen inches in length, either in plain sight with the action open or the weapon stripped, or, if the firearm is of a type on which the action will not stay open or which cannot easily be stripped, in plain sight.

(5)

(a) "Unloaded" means

, with respect to a firearm other than a firearm described in division (K)(6) of this section, that no ammunition is in the firearm in question, no magazine or speed loader containing ammunition is inserted into the firearm in question , and one of the following applies:

(i) There is no ammunition in a magazine or speed loader that is in the vehicle in question and that may be used with the firearm in question.

(ii) Any magazine or speed loader that contains ammunition and that may be used with the firearm in question is stored in a compartment within the vehicle in question that cannot be accessed without leaving the vehicle or is stored in a container that provides complete and separate enclosure.

(b) For the purposes of division (K)(5)(a)(ii) of this section, a "container that provides complete and separate enclosure" includes, but is not limited to, any of the following:

(i) A package, box, or case with multiple compartments, as long as the loaded magazine or speed loader and the firearm in question either are in separate compartments within the package, box, or case, or, if they are in the same compartment, the magazine or speed loader is contained within a separate enclosure in that compartment that does not contain the firearm and that closes using a snap, button, buckle, zipper, hook and loop closing mechanism, or other fastener that must be opened to access the contents or the firearm is contained within a separate enclosure of that nature in that compartment that does not contain the magazine or speed loader;

(ii) A pocket or other enclosure on the person of the person in question that closes using a snap, button, buckle, zipper, hook and loop closing mechanism, or other fastener that must be opened to access the contents.

(c) For the purposes of divisions (K)(5)(a) and (b) of this section, ammunition held in stripper-clips or in en-bloc clips is not considered ammunition that is loaded into a magazine or speed loader.

(6) "Unloaded" means, with respect to a firearm employing a percussion cap, flintlock, or other obsolete ignition system, when the weapon is uncapped or when the priming charge is removed from the pan.

(7) "Commercial motor vehicle" has the same meaning as in division (A) of section 4506.25 of the Revised Code.

(8) "Motor carrier enforcement unit" means the motor carrier enforcement unit in the department of public safety, division of state highway patrol, that is created by section 5503.34 of the Revised Code.

(L) Divisions (K)(5)(a) and (b) of this section do not affect the authority of a person who is carrying a valid concealed handgun license to have one or more magazines or speed loaders containing ammunition anywhere in a vehicle, without being transported as described in those divisions, as long as no ammunition is in a firearm, other than a handgun, in the vehicle other than as permitted under any other provision of this chapter. A person who is carrying a valid concealed handgun license may have one or more magazines or speed loaders containing ammunition anywhere in a vehicle without further restriction, as long as no ammunition is in a firearm, other than a handgun, in the vehicle other than as permitted under any provision of this chapter.

Amended by 129th General AssemblyFile No.190,HB 495, §1, eff. 3/27/2013.
    OK, let's see if I've got this right - currently:
    - non Ohio-CHL holders must meet stowage requirements
    - valid Ohio-CHL licensees: anywhere but in the gun

Quote Originally Posted by Jdbl14 View Post
    I agree whole heartedly. I'd say that 90% of the people I talk to in Ohio have no clue what our laws are.
    ^ I'm new to the gun world - especially long-guns .... still quite green. Trying to keep on top of the laws, where OFCC has helped me a lot both prior to as well as after seeking my Ohio-CHL (which, at first, I only obtained in order to make it less worrisome for range-trips and training classes).
    Last edited by TSiWRX; 05-10-13 at 10:32.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TSiWRX View Post
    - valid Ohio-CHL licensees: anywhere but in the gun.
    Your first statement is correct.
    Your second statement is not. If you are talking long guns, even CHL holders must meet ALL of the transport requirements including the transport requirements for loaded magazines.

A CHL authorizes you ONLY to have loaded handguns in the vehicle, see ORC2523.16(F)(5). A CHL does not authorize you to have loaded long guns in the vehicle. A loaded long gun is one that does not meet ALL the requirements of 2523.16(K)(5)(a).
    Last edited by Alpha Sierra; 05-12-13 at 08:25.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TSiWRX View Post
    - valid Ohio-CHL licensees: anywhere but in the gun
    Your first statement is correct.
    Your second statement is not. If you are talking long guns, even CHL holders must meet ALL of the transport requirements including the transport requirements for loaded magazines.

A CHL authorizes you ONLY to have loaded handguns in the vehicle, see ORC2523.16(F)(5). A CHL does not authorize you to have loaded long guns in the vehicle. A loaded long gun is one that does not meet ALL the requirements of 2523.16(K)(5)(a).
    ^ Regarding that second statement....

Quote Originally Posted by ORC
    (L) Divisions (K)(5)(a) and (b) of this section do not affect the authority of a person who is carrying a valid concealed handgun license to have one or more magazines or speed loaders containing ammunition anywhere in a vehicle, without being transported as described in those divisions, as long as no ammunition is in a firearm, other than a handgun, in the vehicle other than as permitted under any other provision of this chapter. A person who is carrying a valid concealed handgun license may have one or more magazines or speed loaders containing ammunition anywhere in a vehicle without further restriction, as long as no ammunition is in a firearm, other than a handgun, in the vehicle other than as permitted under any provision of this chapter.
    ^ The way I'm reading it, as long as the long-gun is not loaded (no bullet in the chamber, no magazine inserted), its magazine may be anywhere in the vehicle, without any stowage restrictions.....

Is there another piece that I am (persistently) missing?

Thanks for helping a noob.
    Last edited by TSiWRX; 05-12-13 at 09:39.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I stand corrected. You are right.

The structure of the Ohio Revised Code sucks dirty dog balls and it forces one to dance from section to section to section. Many of which either contradict each other or appear to do so.

Feedback Score
    ^ No problem at all. I'm more than glad that someone is simply taking the time out of their busy day to help a noob like me.

Like you said, it's a confusing read. I could potentially consider myself a science writer - and that's something that puts a lot of readers to sleep right-away - but I find it extremely difficult to sort through the verbiage of the ORC and similar documents. That was a *BIG* part of the reason why I joined OFCC two year ago, when I first started shooting. But even so, as you pointed out before, I still managed to get 5 from adding 2 and 2.

We're all human, and I'm glad that we've got each other to help spot our mistakes! Thanks again.
    Last edited by TSiWRX; 05-12-13 at 14:07.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Honestly I didn't read any of the other posts but I just wanted to say I like how he "covers him" while she calls dispatch. Sounded like about half a mag full of "cover".

Joe
    "The world would be a better place if more people owned wild animals and were eaten by them" me

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213