Page 1 of 98 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Centurion Modular Rail (CMR) picture and info thread (add your pics)

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Centurion Modular Rail (CMR) picture and info thread (add your pics)

The Centurion Modular Rail (CMR) was first shown at SHOT 2013, and was shown installed on a Centurion Arms complete .308 build. The rail received positive reviews from everyone who handled it, but the most common question was how long it would be until a 5.56 variant was released.

For the past several months, I've been working with the Centurion Arms .308 Battle Rifle, and the CMR rail has quickly become one of my favorite. The over all feel and light weight provides a great balance for the .308 platform.

Fast forwarding to more recent times, and I'm now in a position to comment on the 5.56 CMR rails. I have had a chance to run drills, do several installations, as well as have a friend and fellow instructor go over them with me. Without a doubt, these are some of the easiest, if not "THE" easiest barrel nut and rail assembly either of us have ever installed.

The Centurion Modular Rail is first being released in 12 and 14 inch versions in both the 5.56 and .308 variants.

The 12" rail weighs 10 7/8 oz (308g), and with the barrel nut and three installation screws is a total of 13 1/8oz (371g). Total length is roughly 12 1/2", which is normal for most rails labeled as 12 inchers. The reason for this is that is the length needed to cover the receiver to FSB on a rifle, which is the traditional 12"/ rifle rail. If the CMR used an old school locking collar, the actual rail would be 12" while the collar made up the difference.

The 14" rail weighs 11 3/4 oz (333g), and with the barrel nut and three installation screws is a total of 14 oz (398g).

Machine work on the rails is all extremely high quality, and the anodizing is very clean. It is evident these rails have a lot of machine time, and for people who are unaware, machine time is what is the driving force behind the end price. This is why you see cheap, heavy rails with sharp edges being sold for low prices. This is not a cheap heavy rail, and it does not have sharp edges.

The sides are blended nicely, and the lightening / cooling/ vent holes are well laid out. Anti-rotation tabs are part of the rail, and are nice and snug on each of the forged receivers we used (3 total). There are QD holes fore and aft on each side.

Installation of the rail is easy, and it is entirely possible we will do another article showing the various steps. For now, we will just talk about it a bit. The barrel nut is grooved, and the bolts which lock the barrel nut to the rail ensure there can be no movement once installed. The barrel nut is tightened with an old school barrel nut wrench, the type that only has one tooth. These are pretty cheap to pick up if you don't already have one, and don't slip off like a standard barrel nut. The other way to do it is using a spanner wrench (the pin or hook type), which should run you under $15 for most hardware or similar stores. Torque specs are 30-80 ft pounds, which is simple when there is no need to line up a gas tube.

With the barrel nut installed, slide the end of the rail into place. It may take a firm press to lock it up against the receiver, and it is normal to have a tiny space in between the two parts. Now use a 3/32 allen head wrench and install the 3 screws. There is no need for thread locker, but you should alternate tightening each screw and side just like you would a lug nut. Watch your alignment on the top of the rail and your receiver, but we found everything lined up perfect ever after we took it apart a few times.

The Centurion Modular Rails will be hitting your AR15 stores this month in 12 & 14" and in 5.56 and .308.

You may notice the second picture has a Surefire Scout Light mounted, this is a prototype of one of the mounts Centurion Arms will be releasing along with the rails. 1913 sections are also going to be coming out shortly, and none of these add one pieces use backer plates or screws.

There are also some additional items coming out for this rail series, but I'm not 100% sure what I can or can't talk about. When I get more information, and verify that I can speak freely, I'll post more info and pictures.

If you have any questions, feel free to fire away, I'll answer whatever I can.

Last edited by Stickman; 05-16-13 at 14:33.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the review Stick. I've been contemplating getting a Centurion rail and it looks like the CMR fits the bill for what I'm looking for.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Another good write up as usual Stick. How do you like the profile of this rail system? I really liked the URX 3 profile but hated the needing to send it away to get mounted. This seems similar and might fit the bill on what I am looking for. Really liking the mix of tubular and 4 side pic. railed systems companies are trying to put out.

Feedback Score
    84 (100%)
    Is that a PLATEminus carrier hidden in the first pic?

The rails are sick!
    Last edited by bleaman225; 05-04-13 at 23:41. Reason: Added compliment on the rails to stay on topic

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bleaman225 View Post
    Is that a PLATEminus carrier hidden in the first pic?

The rails are sick!
    1. Doesn't everyone have a PLATEminus carrier in Arcteryx Wolf color? Man, you've got a good eye.

2. Yes, yes they really are.
    Last edited by Stickman; 05-04-13 at 23:51.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Mark's soul just died a little more Nice looking slick rail.

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    What is the MSRP on the 5.56 rail?
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Did they release the MSRP? I like the light mount. That's right where I have the light on my DD MFR. Stick, does that light mount screw into the rail?
    Last edited by AKDoug; 05-05-13 at 00:27.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Dammit.... now I'm going to have to build another rifle.

Last edited by jpmuscle; 05-05-13 at 00:32.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    I liked the idea of being able to mount something like the Scout light directly to the rail. I am eagerly waiting for this rail to get released. I think it's going to be a big seller.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Page 1 of 98 1231151 ... LastLast