Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deleted

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)

Deleted

Deleted
    Last edited by davidjinks; 07-25-14 at 13:38.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for taking the time to do the write up on the gun. With the price/lack of availability of 9mm ammo recently, I've been giving a lot of consideration into getting a .40 of some type. It isn't my favorite caliber, but there seems to be a decent amount of reasonably priced ammo available, so I'm about ready to make a temporary jump. I like Glock Gen 3 9mms quite a bit, but never really liked the guns in .40 and was hoping that the Gen 4 might change my mind.

Sorry that your gun doesn't work as well as it should.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Deleted
    Last edited by davidjinks; 07-25-14 at 13:39.

Feedback Score
    I had two Gen4 22s. One ran perfect from day one including with a Surefire X300 attached.
    My other behaved very similar to what you're describing. Several failures per mag with no remedy.
    These combined with an utter crapfest with my batch of 9mm Glocks, I walked away from the brand as a whole.
    There are other quality pistols out there that run fine with a light, etc. Unless you're issued/have to keep it, I'd consider getting rid of it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by davidjinks View Post
    I've owned Gen 2 and 3 Glock 22/23. I liked them all.

Disregarding the current issues I'm having, this is the most accurate, softest shooting 40 cal I've owned. I'm a closet HK USP guy and yet I'd shoot a Gen 4 40 before I picked up the USP.

I won't say 9MM soft, but pretty close.
    Interesting. It has been awhile since I shot a USP 40C, but I remember thinking it was about the best stock gun that I've ever shot in that caliber. The only other gun that I thought was better was a Sig P226-40. But it had been worked over by Gray Guns, so I don't really count it. I've never shot the Gen 4 Glock 22, just the Gen3 and can't compare, but I was thinking the dual spring RSA probably tamed the recoil a bit.

Out of curiosity, are you going to send it back to Glock? I would. If they can't fix it, I think I also would get rid of the pistol. Not sure how useful a gun that you can't drill with as you like and that won't work with a light attached is for anyone.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Reread your post. Disregard.
    Last edited by ST911; 05-06-13 at 18:58.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Deleted
    Last edited by davidjinks; 07-25-14 at 13:39.

Feedback Score
    Your experience with the gen 4 G22 with the Surefire X300 mounted is vastly different from mine. Mine is 100% with the X300 mounted with about 500 rounds of Gold Dot and various bulk pack FMJ. Mine is completely stock except I added night sights.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by davidjinks View Post
    UKD*** Prefix

Sights changed out to Meprolight NS
    Generation 4 trigger changed out to Generation 3
    "•" connector changed out to standard connector
    Magazine springs upgraded to Wolff Springs
    #9 followers
    #2 stamped on the mags all Gen 4 compatible new factory mags

995 rounds down range

150 rounds of FMJ 165 & 180 Federal and Remington
    845 rounds RA40T, RA40B, Speer GDHP all 180 grain

Complete disclosure: The first round of failures I had after initially changing mag springs was used error. I had a moment of mental misfire and put Glock 19 mag springs in my Glock 22 mags.

In case anyone asks about the mag spring change; I have had personal experiences many many times with the standard springs in Glock mags varying greatly in length. The current crop of mags was no exception.

Failures in the magazine: stove pipe, live rounds inside the mag, nose down, JHP catching on feed ramp, nose into the hood (Bolt over base).

Failures outside the magazine: stove pipe live rounds, traditional stove pipes of fired rounds, partially ejected case gets caught in between the slide and barrel hood.

First range trip: Bone stock gun without any changes to any parts. Pre-shooting inspection and lube. Good stance, solid weight behind the gun, good recoil control either 2 handed or 1 handed yields no malfunctions. Weak handed/injury type drills will yield multiple failures as described above.

- Disclosure: Any new gun I buy for the purpose of SD I will intentionally attempt to make the gun malfunction. Weak grips, no recoil control odd angles etc. I do it to see what the limits of the gun is.

I was able to make this 22 fail every time. Having said that, I know what the limitations of this particular gun is. I'm not saying I go out and blast gangsta style. However I try to envision worst case scenario of serious injury/odd shooting positions.

No failures occur with this gun when I'm shooting and I'm behind it.

Second range trip: After magazine spring replacement and changes listed above to the gun. I'd like to skip this because as I disclosed earlier, I was retarded and put the wrong springs in the magazines. Needless to say, I had many failures.

Third range trip: with brand new, correct magazine springs in all of my magazines...Zero failures of any kind to report. To include purposely attempting to induce malfunctions. This was a short range trip because ammo is tight.

Fourth range trip: All of the malfunctions started to occur again. Weak handed/injury drills, supine shooting position and purposeful malfunction attempts. Again, if I'm solid behind the gun it's golden. If I shoot weak hand or shoot from odd angles its a no go.

This gun will not run with a light. Surefire X-300, 2 different lights, total no go. Tap rack bang every other round. Sometimes I'll get a good string of 3 and then TRB. It doesn't occurs with any one specific magazine. It is equal across the board with all mags.

Now, I understand that purposely trying to induce malfunctions isn't how the gun was intended to be run. I get that. I expect the gun to fail if I'm purposely trying to make it fail.

What I don't like is the fact I cannot run weak hand/injury drills without a malfunction and I cannot run a light at all.

Having said all that, what's left to do? Money is very tight right right now, ammo is next to none on the market (I'm already eating into rainy day ammo). Changing platforms would just exacerbate the current issues.
    The Glock has a number of design characteristics to it that make it not an ideal platform for shooting .40S&W.

1) Poor feeding design. The magazine sits too low in the magazine well for the larger diameter .40S&W. It still retains the same height as the original 9mm configuration. Also, Glock did not modify the barrel cam to allow for more barrel tilt. So it will not tilt low enough to properly feed the larger .40S&W cartridge diameter. The original Glock design had the tapered 9mm case in mind which does not require the magazine to sit as high. Glock's solution to the .40S&W feeding problem was to simply cut out 6 o'clock chamber support. A poor solution, particularly when other manufacturers like S&W, Sig, and H&K managed to build very reliable .40 guns with full chamber support in the early 1990s.

2) The Glock has a flexible frame. A rigid shooting platform is important when dealing with the fast slide speeds and heavier recoil of the .40S&W. The M&P .40 uses a steel skeleton to minimize frame flex, creating much better overall reliability in .40S&W vs the Glock.

3) Poor recoil management. The original FBI contract for the S&W M1076 10mm specified a 40,000 round service life using full power Norma loads. The specifications for any prospective pistols would be that they have two requirements. Have a metal alloy frame(increased rigidity), and that they be hammer fired. A slide that must not only push against a recoil spring, but also a DA hammer spring has a greatly reduced slide velocity. This means that the recoil spring does not have to be as strong, thus reducing the recoil and return forces. It increases pistol longevity, and felt recoil.

As all govt bureaucracies go, most that incredibly sound knowledge and recommendations of the FBI researchers of that time was disregarded when the transition to the .40S&W was made.....and the Glock .40 was adopted. My agency has been using .40S&W Sigs since the early 1990s. We have rarely had any problems with them, even with some of our academy guns coming close to 100k rounds. BP's H&K P2000s have also been exceptional performers over the years. As many smart people have said in this forum.........the platform dictates the caliber. In Glock, I would only use 9mm. Since Glocks are the favorite for most people now days, the .40S&W doesn't get as much range time for many shooters. In Sigs, M&Ps, and H&Ks.......the .40S&W is a very appealing option as it works very well in most of those manufactuer's guns.
    Last edited by S. Galbraith; 05-07-13 at 10:34.
    Insert impressive resume here.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Deleted
    Last edited by davidjinks; 07-25-14 at 13:40. Reason: Damn you auto correct!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast