Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Single Stack 9mm

Feedback Score

Single Stack 9mm

I was wondering if I could get some suggestions on single stack 9mm. My dad wants to get a .380 for his carry gun and I'm trying to talk him into a 9mm. If I can't find something I'm probably going to point him towards the Ruger LCP. If anyone has any ideas on a 9mm that is roughly that size for around $500 I'd really appreciate it. I like the small Kahr's but I think they'll be out of his price range.

Thanks

Feedback Score
    Bud's has German police trade in Sig 225 for $325. They make really nice carry guns and you can always send it back to Sig for the once over if the used thing really bothers you. I haven't shot the new Walther PPS but I have held one and dry fired it and it felt pretty good in the hand. Other than those two there isn't much in the way of single stack 9MM out there for less than $500.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Do not overlook the superb Smith & Wesson 3913.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    There aren't going to be many 9mms the size of the LCP.....

As far as good single stack 9mm pistols, if you can find a used Sig P239 or S&W 3913, that would be my pick.

I own both.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    I'll +1 the 3913, great little guns. Personally I'm a fan of the Kahr's, I have a K9 and love it. I've seen some good deals on used Kahr's in the past. The 225 is a great gun if you like Sigs, I sold mine recently only because I prefer the Kahr.

ToddG Guest
    As John_Wayne777 pointed out, you're not going to find a LCP-sized 9mm pistol. It's amazing you can find a LCP-sized LCP, in my opinion.

The smallest available 9mm pistol I'm aware of is the Rohrbaugh R9. Definitely not within your price bracket, though. Your best bet for <$500 is going to be a used pistol in good shape. SIG P225 or P239, S&W 3913, or Kahr are all options.

Is he looking for a .380 due to size or recoil? Most .380's recoil substantially more than an equivalent 9mm because they use a different mechanism for keeping the gun locked during the firing cycle. So if it's about shooting comfort, a slightly larger, heavier, 9mm pistol will be better for him. If it's all about size, just getting a .380 in an LCP-sized pistol is, as I mentioned, quite a feat.

You might also want to consider a S&W j-frame (revolver). Not as small as the LCP but extremely concealable, lightweight, and easy to use.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    You might also want to consider a S&W j-frame (revolver). Not as small as the LCP but extremely concealable, lightweight, and easy to use.
    Indeed.

And more powerful to boot.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Do not overlook the superb Smith & Wesson 3913.
    Yep.

I've owned a 3953 (DAO version of the 3913) for over 15 years, and it's been ergonomic, concealable, accurate, and completely reliable.
    GLOCK PREFECTION

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Indeed.

And more powerful to boot.
    I am not a big fan of 38 special but I guess it does beat a 380 ACP. I must admit that the new Federal 327 magnum could cause me to rethink my position on carrying a snubbie if more companies were to make loads for it and if S&W decides to make a 6 shot snubbie for it.

Sorry for the slight thread hijack.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rubberneck View Post
    I am not a big fan of 38 special.
    Getcha some 158 gr LSWCHP +P from Remington (good) or Buffalo Bore (best).

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast