Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Single Stack 9mm

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rubberneck View Post
    I am not a big fan of 38 special but I guess it does beat a 380 ACP.
    By a wide margin.

The S&W J frame is THE most popular BUG you'll find in law enforcement and in many civilian circles as well. People like Ken Hackathorn and Larry Vickers have had some very positive things to say about the little J frames.

A J frame is a SUPERB idea. Load it with 135 grain +P Speer Gold dot ammo, and put Crimson Trace laser grips on it, and viola! You've got an effective, lightweight, concealable weapon that will be easier to make hits with under stress at all sorts of ranges.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Wayne777 View Post
    By a wide margin.

The S&W J frame is THE most popular BUG you'll find in law enforcement and in many civilian circles as well. People like Ken Hackathorn and Larry Vickers have had some very positive things to say about the little J frames.

A J frame is a SUPERB idea. Load it with 135 grain +P Speer Gold dot ammo, and put Crimson Trace laser grips on it, and viola! You've got an effective, lightweight, concealable weapon that will be easier to make hits with under stress at all sorts of ranges.
    I wasn't questioning the utility of the J frame itself but the under powered cartridge that it is most commonly associated with. Sure a 38 special is better than a sharp stick and certainly better than some other cartridges, but it is what it is, and that is an underpowered (by modern standards) 99 year old design.

That is the reason why the 327 Federal magnum is appealing to me. It bridges the gap between 38 +p and 357 magnum while being able to slide a 6th round into a J frame sized cylinder. You get a more effective cartridge in the same package.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The .38 Smith & Wesson Special is often derided as an underpowered 100 year old design. The funny thing is that it has left a wake of dead people hundres of miles long in that century.

I do not feel undergunned with a handgun so chambered in the least. Particularly not with my choice of loading.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    The .38 Smith & Wesson Special is often derided as an underpowered 100 year old design. The funny thing is that it has left a wake of dead people hundres of miles long in that century.

I do not feel undergunned with a handgun so chambered in the least. Particularly not with my choice of loading.

It certainly does work but on the continuum of effective self defense cartridges it is much closer to the ineffective end than many other cartridges. I knew referring to its age would draw some fire, as the 45 ACP is nearly as old, but what was once considered state of the art is no longer. The 45 ACP is still the rare exception to that rule. As I said earlier it still beats carrying nothing or a sharp stick.

I'd also like to point out that my comments are my own personal opinions of what I prefer. If you don't agree with that who am I to say you are wrong. I just prefer a little more meat on the ribs, if you will. YMMV.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I wasn't questioning the utility of the J frame itself but the under powered cartridge that it is most commonly associated with. Sure a 38 special is better than a sharp stick and certainly better than some other cartridges, but it is what it is, and that is an underpowered (by modern standards) 99 year old design.
    The Speer load I mentioned was developed specifically to provide a round that offers acceptable penetration and reliable expansion from one of the super-small J frames. It has performed very well in ballistic testing thusfar.

I've never seen any testing data on the 327 Federal Magnum....but in general making lighter bullets and pushing them to higher velocities doesn't necessarily translate into better terminal ballistics. The age of the cartridge isn't the limiting factor here.

Rather, it is the amount of performance you can squeeze out of a light-weight, compact revolver with a 1 7/8" long barrel.

That is the reason why the 327 Federal magnum is appealing to me. It bridges the gap between 38 +p and 357 magnum while being able to slide a 6th round into a J frame sized cylinder. You get a more effective cartridge in the same package.
    Well....that's the goal, anyway....

Whether or not the .327 actually delivers that kind of performance has yet to be seen. When DocGKR gets some testing done with it we'll know more. In the meantime, I'm reluctant to encourage people to get too worked up about a new handgun caliber offering that's supposed to be "revolutionary".

I'm kind of an old fashioned guy. I don't like carrying what I consider to be untested weapons and ammo. The super small J frame may not be perfect, but it's a known quantity and there's something to be said for that, in my opinion.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    It certainly does work but on the continuum of effective self defense cartridges it is much closer to the ineffective end than many other cartridges. I knew referring to its age would draw some fire, as the 45 ACP is nearly as old, but what was once considered state of the art is no longer.
    The 9mm is also 100 years old. The basic idea for the .327 is older than that.

When it comes to firearms there really is very little that's new under the sun.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    My 3913 is perfect, shoots dead on and always goes bang.

Feedback Score
    He wants the .380 because of the size I think.

I tried to talk him into just getting a little j frame but he didn't like that idea. I carry the s&w 342 as my backup gun and love it. I wasn't loving it when we did a 50 round qualification course but for a backup gun I really like it.

If he can manage to find one of the little LCP's that's probably what he'll go with.

Thanks for the help

Feedback Score
    Don't forget the Kel-Tec PF-9 or P-11. Crappy little guns, but they get the job done.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I owned a Kahr subcompact 9mm before the polymer model came out . Great little gun, and very accurate. They are not worth the price in my opinion, and a little heavy to carry on the ankle. The PM model should be the ticket for weight though, but still too pricey. If you have the extra money I would highly recommend the Kahr.
    I currently own a Kel-Tec PF-9 that is undergoing testing. I'm far from sold on it as the end all be all, and probably never will be. BUT, out of 600 rounds it has not failed to go boom, and it is the smallest/lightest 9mm I have carried. It is a single stack mag but holds 7+1. The price is cheap at $265 on Gunbroker, but you get what you pay for. I don't expect it to live forever and am surprised it hasn't failed me already. But when loaded with Winchester Ranger+P+, it will ruin anyones day if it must be used.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast