Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Winchester LEO Ranger 9mm 147gr

Feedback Score
    1 (57%)

Winchester LEO Ranger 9mm 147gr

I went to a gun show today and picked up 2 50 rd boxes of this stuff for 27 dollars a piece. What do you think of this ammo? Is is good for carrying for defensive ammo?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by evilmonkey View Post
    I went to a gun show today and picked up 2 50 rd boxes of this stuff for 27 dollars a piece. What do you think of this ammo? Is is good for carrying for defensive ammo?

We use it at work and it has preformed very well...

Just my .02

Buck
    MossieTactics.com ~ KMA 367

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buck View Post
    We use it at work and it has preformed very well...

Just my .02

Buck
    When hitting people, or just at the range?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    When hitting people, or just at the range?
    When used to stop a deadly threat...

Feedback Score
    1 (57%)
    Thanks A lot Buck for your opinion! I had been carrying the TAP 147 gr ammo in my Glock 17 for the last month and Ive havent heard very impressive stuff about the TAP 9mm ammo(I do think it is the best ammo for .223 though). I bought a restaurant about 3 months ago in not that great of a neighborhood and have been carrying my G17 for protection. The previous owner sold me the place because he got robbed and pistol whipped 5 months before he sold it to me so protection and good ammo are my main concern.

Feedback Score
    I just spoke with one of our SEB teams yesterday about this topic. They, along with one of our leading "gun guys" at our station said the samething as Buck. I have no personal experience with hitting someone with it, but I have been following the OIS's at our stations which patrol an impoverished area of the county. The verdict is the same... it works.

Of interesting note... SEB has MD's come in and discuss what damage is being done by the 147 SXT on legal threats that have been shot with it. The MD's reports are making our boys comfortable with the round apparently.

Feel safe with your choice.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I've used it for carry and competition, it's very accurate, pretty soft for recoil and does over 1K fps out of my Glock 17.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    We're been using 147 gr. GDHPs for our 9mm pistols and it works well. We've recently switched to the Winchester from the Speer. It should work very well in your Glock 17. As for whether that's a good price or not, I don't know, I get mine for free.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Federale View Post
    I get mine for free.
    Me too...

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by evilmonkey View Post
    Going price is $20 a box if you order online.

I have found it to be accurate, giving me 2" groups at 15 yards from my 226 Elite ST. As stated, recoil is very sedate, but nonetheless I found that it hit a SMIDGE high compared to other, lighter loads (we are talking an inch or two at 15 yards, nothing to worry about).

It does lack hard-target penetration when I compared it to the 124gr +P Ranger T. It was much less reliable going through a car door (mid 80's crown-vic door). It is a good round, but in 9mm it seems the 124+P and 127 +P+ and a few of the 115 gr +P and +P+ rounds are the ticket. I favor them for their higher chance of expanding due to the extra velocity. Both the 147 and the 124's tend to penetrate 12"+ in gel and BG's.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast