Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New IDPA Rules

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I wish man. There are some clubs upstate that run a proper match but I'm not driving 3 hours for it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    IDPA's divisions are what keep me away. Keeping guns like PPQ's and XDm's out of SSP is retarded.

Adopt USPSA's production class.

It's an old argument, I know..

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I don't know about the PPQ, but the proposed changes removed the SSP restriction which lumped the xD and XDm into ESP. I suspect that the PPQ probably now qualifies as well. Round dumping has no mention in the new rules, either.

I have no problem with frame stippling putting a gun into ESP personally.

There are douchebag SOs/ROs in every sport.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I still shoot IDPA when there is nothing else to shoot. Its starting to be on the bottom of the list of things I like to shoot.
    1. Three gun.
    2. USPSA pistol
    3. Steel Challenge
    4. IDPA.

IDPA is starting to become a 1990's equivilant of SASS. They have stupid rules on equipment they have stupid rules on reloads and they have stupid rules limiting course designers so the stages can not be too difficult. Its like USPSA lite.
    Pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Here's my positive note

IDPA is the gateway drug to action shooting. It's biggest divisions are based on 9mm, you can buy one of these, grab a old button down and go race. I usually tell new guys to shoot the match safely, but do as they will, worry about penaltys and junk later.

[IMG][/IMG]

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    IDPA's divisions are what keep me away. Keeping guns like PPQ's and XDm's out of SSP is retarded.

Adopt USPSA's production class.

It's an old argument, I know..
    In addition to what Hutto said, the classification for SSP and ESP are so close now it almost doesn't make any difference.

I kind of agree with the general consensus. My plan is to make master at the next classifier, and when I do, I'll need to decide whether or not to go to more USPSA and fewer IDPA matches. Obviously, doing well there requires a lot more practice and commitment.

I was hoping for some of the Vickers/Hackathorn suggestions, like higher PFs. Granted, I load to the current PFs, but the PF system seems to run contrary to what they say the goal is for most of the other rules. If I can't stipple the frame, why can I use powder puff loads?

More than anything, I wanted .40 165 PF CDP.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post
    IDPA is starting to become a 1990's equivilant of SASS. They have stupid rules on equipment they have stupid rules on reloads and they have stupid rules limiting course designers so the stages can not be too difficult.
    HAHA!
    Nicely done.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CC556 View Post
    This is 100% true. I can't even count how many times I've personally seen SOs or MDs make stuff up on the spot. The fact that something isn't in the rulebook seems not to matter at all in IDPA, and HQ doesn't seem to have any ability to reign this in nor even any interest in doing so.
    Glad to see this post. I was beginning to think it was just me.
    My final moment was when an SO turned fired a shot 2 inches from his front foot, and the SO running him didn't notice.
    I know it is different from club to club and state to state, but my local club is a for profit business and the rules are $ first.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ty_B View Post
    More than anything, I wanted .40 165 PF CDP.
    Remember who founded IDPA - OFWGs who wanted to be able to compete with their 1911's in 45, because they didn't make a 46.

There is an open comment period to the proposed rules, so hopefully they will listen and create a valid home for the .40 shooters. USPSA has major and minor power factors, but IDPA has no such distinction, putting someone at a disadvantage if they want to seriously compete with their .40 cal. This needs to be rectified somehow. Either they need to let the 40's compete in CDP, or they are going to have to change the scoring (reduce the .5 multiplier for major PF?)

This is coming from someone who shoots SSP/Production minor in 9mm exclusively.

Feedback Score
    IDPA is a game, ran in many cases by people whose only exposure to "TACTICS" is IDPA. The folks who first helped form the sport, Vickers, Hackenthone, Cirillo & Rauch had a handle on tactics of the day. Our understanding of tactics is fluid, evolves and definitely not set in stone. Something that a game with rules to establish fairness and competitiveness can't adequately handle. Much of what was "Solid tactics" when I first was certified as a NRA Police Firearms Instructor in 1979 is considered foolish & dangerous today.

Quite frankly my two biggest complaints about IDPA were not being able to start an emergency reload when moving to cover & tactical sequence. One is now taken care of and one isn't. Am I going to stop playing the sport because of this, nope. Not like some of the primadonnas I happen to shoot with who are going to stop shooting IDPA because they didn't allow 40 major in CDP. IDPA is locally available and gives me a time to practice my gun handling skills while under some modicum of pressure. My feeling has always been if I am really against something because I think it is just wrong I'll take the procedural rather than do it. It's not like I'm going to compete for a National Championship. Is it training NO; is it better practice than standing in a booth at a public range, in many cases YES.

Frankly I'm more bothered by the safety implications of their new Finger On the Trigger penalty/rule & the almost break the muzzle safe points penalties than any of this tacticool stuff.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast