Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hog hunting.... With a knife!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    How long does it take the pigs to die?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Doing that in the dark, in a swamp, with a wild feral pig ... with a knife ...

You know they have these things called guns right? And spotlights.
    Last edited by Moltke; 05-13-13 at 12:18.
    Ken Bloxton
    Skill > Gear

Feedback Score
    The hogs are usually out of the fight in 2 min, then another 1-2 min to fully bleed out.

On a side note its made me really good at sutures for the dogs

The dogs recover really fast and we use 3M vet bond to help with the cuts also.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ffchewy17 View Post
    The hogs are usually out of the fight in 2 min, then another 1-2 min to fully bleed out.

On a side note its made me really good at sutures for the dogs

The dogs recover really fast and we use 3M vet bond to help with the cuts also.
    I'm sure it is some kind of tradition or whatever, but I just can't see letting the animal suffer like that. Same with the current thread in GD about hunting hogs from a chopper. Looks more like a free for all and little guarantee of a clean kill, though there was some impressive shooting.

Thanks for the reply. I was just curious. I have been a hunter most of my life. This type of hunting is just not my cup of tea.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TacCommE21 View Post
    I'm sure it is some kind of tradition or whatever, but I just can't see letting the animal suffer like that. Same with the current thread in GD about hunting hogs from a chopper. Looks more like a free for all and little guarantee of a clean kill, though there was some impressive shooting.

Thanks for the reply. I was just curious. I have been a hunter most of my life. This type of hunting is just not my cup of tea.
    If I could choose, I would much rather be stabbed than shot! Pinch in the side and a slow fade rather than my chest explode and fade faster.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

They die in seconds, more pain from the pit's bite.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've been going to South Carolina hog hunting for 3 years now & we do some of our hunting with dogs & knives. My only kill with a knife was the most thrilling hunting moment of my life, no question. The pigs expire VERY quickly when stabbed in the heart, I personally do not see a difference between a well placed blade and a well placed bullet in the speed with which the pig dies. The level of trauma to the heart from either means a quick death, which is a humane death.

Skypup, you are right, the sounds at night when the dogs get on a hog are otherworldly, it reminds me of a scene from Predator with Arnold Schwartzenneger. It is a mad minute for sure and must be experienced firsthand to be understood. Pigs squeeling, dogs barking, people yelling and you can barely hear anyone talk.

Sidenote, the guys who own the dogs "rescue" a lot of them from the local dogpounds.

Feedback Score
    The guys I went with for a couple of years used "Dogos" as catch dogs, most we took where the 150-175lb class, JP took a couple that did push the 275 mark and like the OP posted where easier then the small ones, as long as you got the legs quick

pic is of the knife I used, was made in Argentina, for me by a gentleman down there , that makes several a year for the hog hunters down that way
    Last edited by Dave James; 05-14-13 at 07:29.
    "A shot never fired is always a miss"

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

How long does it take your meat you buy from the supermarket to die? Would you prefer your meat have a miserable life in a feed lot or at least have a chance in the wild, living free?

Feedback Score
    I can understand the hesitancy on many to knife an animal due to the chance of it causing prolonged suffering, I had the same feeling prior to my first hunt. But after experiencing it first hand I personally feel that it's a progression that most hunters take, from hunting a deer or other large animal from a long range, to closer stalking of said game, to muzzle loaders, then bow hunting, and finally to a close in fight were you as the hunter have no necessary advantage. It boils down to to animals (hunter and pig) in a fight for there lives, both subjects are armed with the same tools, a knife vs tooth/tusk, and you as a human have a distinct strength disadvantage.

I think it gives the pig the ultimate chance to survive, escape, or injure the hunter. That is the fairest form of hunting I have ever experienced.

The pigs are aggressive animals, more so than any deer, dove,duck, or squirrel I've ever encountered; I have yet to fear for my life sitting in a duck blind, but in a swamp in the middle of night with the pig snorting and crashing through the palmettos, you can see dogs flying a couple feet through the air from being tossed realizing your about to fight a 175lbs muscle bound pig with 3inch knives for teeth who is pissed of at your for even being in his domain, that's fair hunting in my opinion.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast