Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hog hunting.... With a knife!

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ffchewy17 View Post
    I think it gives the pig the ultimate chance to survive, escape, or injure the hunter. That is the fairest form of hunting I have ever experienced.
    Exactly what I was trying to say.

Feedback Score
    Just a heads up too, we usually hunt 3-4 times a month and killed over 200+ pigs last year.

These animals are considered nuisance animals and they bread faster than we can control the population in Florida.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlelebowski View Post
    How long does it take your meat you buy from the supermarket to die? Would you prefer your meat have a miserable life in a feed lot or at least have a chance in the wild, living free?
    How did I know it was going to be you that was going to say this? I was just waiting for it!

I didn't mean to go all PETA or anything. I have no illusions about from where some of my food comes. I was curious and I find it interesting that the answers to my question were so varied.

It is certainly a primal way to hunt, with the odds stacked as evenly as possible. Make no mistake, the pigs can and do win sometimes.

My personal opinions aside, this thread provided a little education as perhaps it was intended.

Sorry if I derailed the thread.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    No worries, dude.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I can understand the hesitancy on many to knife an animal due to the chance of it causing prolonged suffering, I had the same feeling prior to my first hunt. But after experiencing it first hand I personally feel that it's a progression that most hunters take, from hunting a deer or other large animal from a long range, to closer stalking of said game, to muzzle loaders, then bow hunting, and finally to a close in fight were you as the hunter have no necessary advantage. It boils down to to animals (hunter and pig) in a fight for there lives, both subjects are armed with the same tools, a knife vs tooth/tusk, and you as a human have a distinct strength disadvantage.

I think it gives the pig the ultimate chance to survive, escape, or injure the hunter. That is the fairest form of hunting I have ever experienced.

The pigs are aggressive animals, more so than any deer, dove,duck, or squirrel I've ever encountered; I have yet to fear for my life sitting in a duck blind, but in a swamp in the middle of night with the pig snorting and crashing through the palmettos, you can see dogs flying a couple feet through the air from being tossed realizing your about to fight a 175lbs muscle bound pig with 3inch knives for teeth who is pissed of at your for even being in his domain, that's fair hunting in my opinion.
    Minus the loincloth, it's primal as it gets it sounds. Not sure it would be my cup O tea, but I have no doubts it must be quite the A dump, and taps into a very base part of our brain.

What's next, Kodiak and box cutter?
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    TacCommE21, I didn't take it any way other than a question concerning a form of hunting, glad you asked and in know way a thread derail.

I don't want other hunters to thank I hunt this way because I am some blood thirsty Rambo wannabe, it's the complete opposite. I enjoy it the most because I get to experience a form of nature that is very far removed from modern life. Plus watching the dogs work and the enjoyment they get from the hunt is more rewarding than the actual kill.

Most of the time the newest hunters are the ones doing the knife work and I control the dogs or the pig.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    TacCommE21, I didn't take it any way other than a question concerning a form of hunting, glad you asked and in know way a thread derail.

I don't want other hunters to thank I hunt this way because I am some blood thirsty Rambo wannabe, it's the complete opposite. I enjoy it the most because I get to experience a form of nature that is very far removed from modern life. Plus watching the dogs work and the enjoyment they get from the hunt is more rewarding than the actual kill.

Most of the time the newest hunters are the ones doing the knife work and I control the dogs or the pig.
    I appreciate you taking the time to provide details. Be safe out there!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The guys I have hunted with take 6 or so dogs out with us. Once we get a hog, everyone has to step up & help with the dogs, they really get excited when they are on top of a hog.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I really want to do this someday.....

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    There was a group right across the state line in North Carolina, that offered this about 20 years ago. The dogs they used were Plott hounds mixed with bulldogs, and they were very good at their job. He had a contract that if the dogs anchored the pig and you got cold feet- you ponied up any vet bills for your cowardice...I thought that was awesome.

Pigs were scarce back then, and his business didn't last. Now the Smoky Mts are being ruined by them...

OP- this is true hunting in my opinion...when you put your own flesh and blood on the line, not to mention your dogs, its hard to be more sporting than that.
    "I would rather be the hammer than the anvil."- Rommel

Owner: Hangar 18 Custom Coatings

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast