Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Hog hunting.... With a knife!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlelebowski View Post
    I really want to do this someday.....
    There is absolutely nothing anyone can say that will adequately describe this experience for you until you have it for yourself. Probably like combat (although I know nothing about that myself) until you're BTDT, you gotta be there to know.

Feedback Score
    I have hunted pigs with every thing from bows to crossbows and pistols to rifles. Haven't had the interest to try my luck with a knife, but this thread has me interested.

Feedback Score
    Ffchevy, I have been hunting pigs with dogs since before it became cool. I see a few descrepancies in what you posted.

-bulldogs are a must, no cur or even 3/4 bulldog will catch everything.
    -dont send a bulldog in a cow pasture. Period.
    -you have to break a bulldog off of a caught animal with the use of a break stick or the choke off method. NONE OF MINE WILL RELEASE EVEN A DEAD ANIMAL
    -basicly it is your fault the calf and dog were needlesly killed, and it is rookies that do stupid stuff like this that give the rest of us a bad name.
    -If you stick your knife in a pigs heart and give it a little jiggle, he will drop like you hit him with a hammer

Feedback Score
    You do it your way, I'll do it mine. As any hunter can tell you there are no absolutes in any type of hunting. I see you hunt from a quad, we prefer a more physical approach of running. I'm guessing you have never hunted in Florida, almost every piece of private large acreage land is cow pasture.

Feedback Score
    PIg;
    Nice hogs BTW, I'll be bowing out of this thread.

Feedback Score
    The thing is, I hunt around livestock a good bit and have never had to kill a cow or dog because of it. I do use a 4- wheeler,'you can walk, ride a horse, or a boat, swam buggy, what ever the terrain calls for. I have spent plenty of time in Florida, know all about it. The point is it doesn't take minutes for a pig to die, and a responsible hunter doesn't kill livestock or kill a dog because they don't know how to handle it. Makes us all look bad. Not picking a Internet fight, just saying.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    it makes me proud to see hunters using knife and dogs instead of high powered rifles on animals that would normally tear them to shreads.
    (think native americans with spears killing bears)

ive always hated trophy hunting and most of the vaginas that do it.

fat, out of shape, asshats with enough money to buy a rifle does not qualify as hunting to me.

keep up the good work
    "I must study politics and war so that my sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy."
    -John Adams
    "The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Albert Einstein
    “Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pig View Post
    Ffchevy, I have been hunting pigs with dogs since before it became cool. I see a few descrepancies in what you posted.

-bulldogs are a must, no cur or even 3/4 bulldog will catch everything.
    -dont send a bulldog in a cow pasture. Period.
    -you have to break a bulldog off of a caught animal with the use of a break stick or the choke off method. NONE OF MINE WILL RELEASE EVEN A DEAD ANIMAL
    -basicly it is your fault the calf and dog were needlesly killed, and it is rookies that do stupid stuff like this that give the rest of us a bad name.
    -If you stick your knife in a pigs heart and give it a little jiggle, he will drop like you hit him with a hammer
    Not all of these statements are 100% accurate. Bulldogs are not a "must". Plenty of hogs have been caught with good bay dogs only. Not all bulldogs will come off hogs and go to cattle, and not all bulldogs require break sticks or choking to get them to release a catch. It all depends on the dogs and how the dogs are handled and/or trained. You will not catch everything everytime, no matter what kind of dog is hunting with you.

This statement is 100% accurate.

Feedback Score
    You got me there. Bulldogs really aren't a must. I guess what I was trying to say was that most curs aren't 100% catch dogs. Meaning most will back down at some point and bay.
    The breaking a bulldog off statement was meant more as, you don't kill a dog because it won't come off on its own. Personally I don't trust a bulldog that will come off on its own, this is a widespread feeling around here and elsewhere best I can tell..
    The whole cow catching and dog killing thing really just hit a nerve with me.
    Last edited by pig; 05-19-13 at 19:11.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I know folks in Central Texas who hunt feral hogs using hounds for tracking. Pits are the catch dogs and require a break stick to free them from the hog. It's not been stated here, but one reason for using a pit catch dog is that the monetary value of a pit is much less than a Catahoula hound or one of the black mouth cur dogs. No person will argue that the pit is not a master at this game.

Up until about 1970, in the deep South and Southwest, in prison organizations, the fugitive was tracked by hounds and if on the ground was caught by a pit or pit mix catch dog. In such cases a smaller dog worked well.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast