Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 6.5 Grendel

Feedback Score
    BHW went to the TYPE II, .136 bolt, around May of 2011. Prior to that they used the standard 7.62 bolt. All other BHW LBC cases use the TYPE I bolt, .125. in their chamberings.

I had my 264 LBC custom cut for a TYPE I from BHW. Several things came into play on that decision.

1. I didn't want to chase the dragon looking for a TYPE II that were scarce as hens teeth.

2. I have four other LBC barrels and did not want to deal with multi-depth bolts. If one went down I have a spare laying around that would fit all five of my guns.

3. I figure the less case hanging out of a chamber the better you are on pressure control. Approximately 0.011 might no seem like much but it does make a difference IMHO.

4. My thoughts on the TYPE II vs the TYPE I center around the sides of the bolt are taking up more pressure as they cover more of the case. I would think that would be a detriment but maybe I have it backward. The bolts at this time are not "opened up" AFAIK. They are built for that head size just like the 6.8 is built smaller. No one is going in and re-cutting the face like they did on the first ones so the strength, to me, has been returned.

5. I do know that AA/Lapua made brass is the primo choice for the Grendel and any derivatives IMHO. It works much better for forming than the Hornady stuff. Less neck turning is a plus in my world.

The arguments from 6.5 vs 264 chamberings are pretty esoteric to me. Since I handload I don't worry about any of it. Also since I have a penchant for BHW I will probably go with their offerings even if they are not "the best" according to some keyboard ballistics expert. I also know that if I want something different in the order department that I can get accommodation for that by a phone call just like any BHW customer.

Greg

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GLShooter View Post
    BHW went to the TYPE II, .136 bolt, around May of 2011. Prior to that they used the standard 7.62 bolt. All other BHW LBC cases use the TYPE I bolt, .125. in their chamberings.

I had my 264 LBC custom cut for a TYPE I from BHW. Several things came into play on that decision.

1. I didn't want to chase the dragon looking for a TYPE II that were scarce as hens teeth.

2. I have four other LBC barrels and did not want to deal with multi-depth bolts. If one went down I have a spare laying around that would fit all five of my guns.

3. I figure the less case hanging out of a chamber the better you are on pressure control. Approximately 0.011 might no seem like much but it does make a difference IMHO.

4. My thoughts on the TYPE II vs the TYPE I center around the sides of the bolt are taking up more pressure as they cover more of the case. I would think that would be a detriment but maybe I have it backward. The bolts at this time are not "opened up" AFAIK. They are built for that head size just like the 6.8 is built smaller. No one is going in and re-cutting the face like they did on the first ones so the strength, to me, has been returned.

5. I do know that AA/Lapua made brass is the primo choice for the Grendel and any derivatives IMHO. It works much better for forming than the Hornady stuff. Less neck turning is a plus in my world.

The arguments from 6.5 vs 264 chamberings are pretty esoteric to me. Since I handload I don't worry about any of it. Also since I have a penchant for BHW I will probably go with their offerings even if they are not "the best" according to some keyboard ballistics expert. I also know that if I want something different in the order department that I can get accommodation for that by a phone call just like any BHW customer.

Greg

I would agree with you on most of those points...bottom line is this:

a quality made bolt assembly can make a big difference with having a AR functioning properly over the long term, especially when it comes to the Grendel cartridge as there is very little material left
    on the webbing of the bolt head, add to that the larger extractor radius, and added bolt thrust and it can become a Issue...

I would agree that the .011" difference between the two different bolt depths does not mean all that much, all things being equal.,
    but it does add confusion in the mix.

Thanks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12