Thread: AK Heat &Optics

Feedback Score

AK Heat &Optics

Ok guys im going to stop being a weenie and put a RDS on a Ultimak on my new ARS AK that I had made. I would post pics but you guys know me and my lack of computer-fu.

I was thinking of using a Burris Fastfire but im not sure if they can handle the heat. I was thinking Kobra as they are relatively cheap but may splurge and get the Baby Aimpoint for it. What experience's have you guys bothe good and bad with mounted optics?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Eotechs don't like the heat off the Ultimak gas tube, and they mount way high over the bore.

Aimpoints don't care about the heat and you can co-witness them with the irons off of an Ultimak.

You can modify the BP-02 mount to sit pretty low, but not low enough to co-witness, if that doesn't matter to you then there are a couple threads here where someone modified the BP-02 for an Aimpoint and it looks pretty good.

Don't waste your time or money on East Bloc electronic optics, they're 30 years behind the better Western stuff.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I originally used a LaRue Tactical Iron Dot based on the Pride Fowler unit, but found it to be less than satisfactory in actual use. I could take the heat but the dot brightness just wasn't adequate and the adjustment is a major pain.

If using an UltiMAK go with an Aimpoint. C3 if you are on a budget or T-1 Micro if you are not.

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)
    Years ago I tried running a 552 Eotech on an Ultimak rail. Every time I'd get about 75 or maybe 100 rounds through it the thing would turn off and not come back on until the whole mess had cooled down.

At that time I posted this on TOS and wound up basically getting told I was crazy and the heat couldn't possibly affect the sight.

Now I see it's 2008 and the same basic issue is being discussed.

How about that?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by one View Post
    Years ago I tried running a 552 Eotech on an Ultimak rail. Every time I'd get about 75 or maybe 100 rounds through it the thing would turn off and not come back on until the whole mess had cooled down.

At that time I posted this on TOS and wound up basically getting told I was crazy and the heat couldn't possibly affect the sight.

Now I see it's 2008 and the same basic issue is being discussed.

How about that?
    Except on this site your getting the straight scoop and not some BS.

Feedback Score
    Thanks guys I guess I wil pony up and get a Aimpoint Micro, they arent cheap but lucky im an Aimpoint dealer

Bulldog1967 Guest
    You will LOVE the micro on the AK, I love mine!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog1967 View Post
    You will LOVE the micro on the AK, I love mine!

That Samson rail weigh it down in the front alot?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I really don't like rails on Ak's ,but that is a nice setup Bulldog. that is really sharp and functional .Most people i have seen with rails on there ak hang everthing including the Kitchen sink on them.Rock on

NRA Member