Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "best" powder/bullets for 9mm

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    For range fodder I really like Winchester 231 and Winchester Super Target. The latter burns cleaner in my opinion but both work well. They sell it in various sizes and its fairly economical. Winchester has quite a bit of loading information on their powder site which is very useful. I've used 124gr Rainers (RN & HP) and Montana Gold 124gr HP. Plated like the Rainers or Berry's will be cheaper and are great for the range. Pick your weight bullet and then pick your loading information, test and change accordingly.
    "The only defense against violent evil people are good people who are more skilled at violence" - Rory Miller

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    There are multitudes of different load combos. The one I've been using lately is a Bayou Bullets 125gr. over 5.6g of AA#5, and a Fed sp primer. Gets about 1030 fps out of my 4" M & P with pretty good accuracy.

Feedback Score
    I like the bulk packed Winchester 124 FMJ and 231 as my powder of choice. I have been using Winchester SP's mostly but in reality about any would work for most uses in my needs that rarely exceed 25-30 yards on big IPSC targets.

Greg

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    "Best" is relative, but for me, the cheapest, most accurate and relatively soft shooting, 1,150 fps load I've found is:

124 gr Precision Delta JHP
    4.9 grains N340
    CCI SPP
    Speer Brass
    ~1.090" OAL

Runs in all guns (even short throat CZs), is 1.5" 10-rd group at 25 yards accurate and only costs ~$.13/rd, give or take.

Now if I could just find more N340, I'm down to my last 4 lbs.

Feedback Score
    It's going to be hard to get an answer as to what's best because 9mm works so well with many powder and bullet combinations. I personally buy hollow points in bulk because they cost just a little more than FMJ's. My favorite 9mm bullet is the Zero 147gr JHP. One good thing about it is that it has a rebated base. Because of this, you don't have to bell the case mouth nor do you have to taper crimp (remove the bell). Since setting the correct taper crimp (just enough to remove the bell) is more difficult when you're using mixed headstamp cases, this bullet would be a good option for you.

Last edited by Bret; 05-18-13 at 15:07.

Feedback Score
    These are hard times to be picky about what you buy. You may have to settle for what shows up at a gun show. I would avoid the cheap primers for anything critical.

What you want depends on the use. My need was for something cheap enough to practice with, but also good enough for personal defense.

Anyway, I have been happy with both CCI #500 and Federal Match primers.

I'm using Hodgdon Universal Clays. It is relatively clean and low-flash. Based on my use of Vihtavuori in another caliber, I wouldn't hesitate to use VV for 9mm as well. I use a load about 3/4 of the way up the suggested range of low to high values.

As for bullets, I have settled in on Hornady XTP JHP in 124 gr. It exhibits reliable expansion in a variety of media while maintaining structural integrity.

Exploring cheaper alternatives to the XTP, I have tried Zero and Montana Gold and would regard them as acceptable if I couldn't find the XTP in stock. Both the Zero and Montana Gold had a tendency to lose their jackets and lose petals on the terminal end.

Good luck in shopping!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    My current range/plinking load is a Ranier or Berry's plated 124 grain bullet with 4.1 grains of Hodgdon Titegroup with a 1.125 OAL. I also use HP-38 and W231 which are the same powder, btw. I have used cast lead bullets at times also, but not in pistols with polygonal barrels.

Whatever bullet you end up using, be sure to research the proper cartridge, overall length (OAL) as it can effect feeding and accuracy.
    Last edited by Pilot1; 05-19-13 at 07:27.

Feedback Score
    I prefer Alliant American Select. I believe it was originally a shotgun powder but it works great in my 45 auto and 38 Spc. It burns cleaner than Red Dot, Bullseye and Unique. It's supposedly just a slightly slower burning powder than Red Dot and faster than Green Dot. kwg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12