Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "best" powder/bullets for 9mm

Feedback Score

"best" powder/bullets for 9mm

I am getting into reloading (yes I know years late to the game) and I really can't seem to find any good solid answers on what powder or bullets I should be aiming for. I know that at this point get what I can, but really what should I be looking for? Also what should I be avoiding if there is anything I should be avoiding. I read the So you want to reload sticky and it really doesn't say anything about the quality of the different powders and bullets out there. Any help would be appreciated!

I have the following kit:

• Hornady LnL AP
    • #8 shell plate
    • HORNADY Taper Crimp 9MM Luger/9x21 Series II 3 Die Set Titanium Grade #546516
    • Once fired brass from FCBB

Still need(to know what is good/bad/indifferent):
    • Bullets
    • primers
    • powder

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

"best" powder/bullets for 9mm

For pistol I'll use any primer I can find at a good price. I prefer CCI, but it's only preference.

For powder I use Winchester 231 because I load for 45 acp also and it works well for both.

For bullets I buy from Precision Delta. http://precisiondelta.com/ Great quality and price on true jacketed bullets. I use 124gr FMJ or HP or both if that's what's in stock. You can backorder your choice of bullets and they won't charge your card till they ship.

That's what works for me, other opinions will surely follow.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
    For pistol I'll use any primer I can find at a good price. I prefer CCI, but it's only preference.

For powder I use Winchester 231 because I load for 45 acp also and it works well for both.

For bullets I buy from Precision Delta. http://precisiondelta.com/ Great quality and price on true jacketed bullets. I use 124gr FMJ or HP or both if that's what's in stock.
    That is good advice. You might add to your list of powders Universal, Unique and Bullseye. Most any bullet between 115 gr and 147 should be fine. If you are shooting lead, it should be sized .356 for most guns. Any small pistol primer will do fine.

Feedback Score

Re: "best" powder/bullets for 9mm

You also need some good reloading manuals

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    Yeah I have 3 of them in the mail on their way to me. I wish I could get them in PDF format also though... Thanks for the help we shall see how this goes.

Feedback Score

Re: "best" powder/bullets for 9mm

All of mine are in pdf format so I can access them on my tablet

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    I haven't loaded for 9mm, but I will second W231 as a good choice. I have had great luck with this powder in 45 acp and even 38 special. It's versatile and meters well. Bullseye is also an old standby.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Dont be too zealous to jump in, last saturday I seen locally Winny LPP for 60$ per K

What grain and construction(FMJ,plated, moly,cast) do you want to use?

I run Bullseye right now with moly 147s, only bc thats the powder I could get locally. It goes bang but is rather dirty. Thats quite OK with me in these times.

WST,WSF, Win 231 are solid "all around" powders with all types of bullets. IPSC guys love VV320 more then gold itself, but its hard to get even in good times because people buy jugs at a time. Another fav is solo 1000 which is a shotgun powder by design but works.

Note: I've had prob 5-10 per k of CCI magnum SPP that are duds. Both my M&P's have a stock recoil spring. Federals work and also seat nicer for some reason.
    Last edited by theblackknight; 05-14-13 at 22:15.

Feedback Score
    IPSC guys love VV320 more then gold itself...
    For soft shooting this, but be aware that there are no recommended book loads listed for 147gr bullets and N320 - which is a (but not the only) preferred competition loading for Minor power factor. And it's what I'm using right now with Montana Gold 147 gr CMJs.

It's best to start with standard stuff at first, however. Get your reloading manuals out first, and then research the Brian Enos reloading forums (if competition loads are what you are looking for).

Also pay attention to whether the manual(s) are calling for cast or jacketed bullets - cast (and molly) bullets take less power than jacketed bullets to achieve the same velocity.

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TeamGrazzi View Post
    Yeah I have 3 of them in the mail on their way to me. I wish I could get them in PDF format also though... Thanks for the help we shall see how this goes.
    Check here also,,http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp if you have a phone or tablet,,you will always have current data !! All the major powder makers have Online info,,always good to know !! I load 9mm a lot & I use Universal myself,,something like 3.8 grns with a 124 grn lead rd nose bullets !! Beauty of this powder is ya can get well over 1K Rd's loaded out of one LB of powder,,, that's awesome !! There are other good ones also like stated above,,231/Unique/Titegroup/Bullseye & many more !! Primers,,at this stage of the game,,any you can find at a fare price !!! Same thing with bullets,,don't be afraid of Lead,,Especially with summer on the way,,your gonna be shooting outside most of the time I would think,,save your jacketed bullets for Winter and crappy days when you shoot inside !!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast