Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10-8 Extractor Test Question

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

10-8 Extractor Test Question

Original link: http://modernserviceweapons.com/?p=131

I'm a bit confused, do I load 1 round in a magazine, insert it into the firearm, chamber the round, drop the mag, and fire?

I'm a bit weary having the slide drop after the round is fired with no mag to catch the slide lock.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Yes, the test is performed without a mag in place. If the extractor is functioning correctly, the empty will eject out of the ejection port between 2 and 5 o'clock.
    I treat my lawnmower better than I treat my 1911.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by beschatten View Post
    Original link: http://modernserviceweapons.com/?p=131

I'm a bit confused, do I load 1 round in a magazine, insert it into the firearm, chamber the round, drop the mag, and fire?
    Yes you fire the weapon with no magazine inserted. The whole purpose is to check extraction/ejection without a magazine follower supporting the round. I will not be a problem to fire 14 to 16 rounds with the slide going home on an empty chamber.

My Sig scorpion carry has never malfunctioned with metalform mags, but will drop the round down the magwell everytime doing this test. Our old armorer at work use to perform this test on every pistol he replaced the extractor in. Not sure why, probably just habbit. David

Feedback Score

10-8 Extractor Test Question

Great test. Took his 1911 armorers class and feel confident with my Springfield professional now.

Feedback Score
    He's talking about the slide dropping without a round in it.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=121153

^

Like that.
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    MS: It is used as a diagnostic "test" to see if the extractor is functioning properly.

Dropping the slide with no round on to of the follower is a surefire way to FU a Wilson 47_ magazine follower to were it will not raise the slide stop enough to engage the slide stop cut out on the slide. Worse yet it partially raises it and it just catches the bottom edge of the window and peens it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ttwwaack View Post
    MS: It is used as a diagnostic "test" to see if the extractor is functioning properly.

Dropping the slide with no round on to of the follower is a surefire way to FU a Wilson 47_ magazine follower to were it will not raise the slide stop enough to engage the slide stop cut out on the slide. Worse yet it partially raises it and it just catches the bottom edge of the window and peens it.
    I know that. I'm just trying to clarify about what the OP is asking.

I know that my 1911 passes the extractor test. But he's talking about it being detrimental because of hammer follow if you do it.
    Last edited by Magic_Salad0892; 05-14-13 at 22:22.
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    As a 1911 owner you do have a valid concern. On a user level this is considered a no no. On an amorer level it is a useful tool to diagnose an extractor problem. It is also similar to checking a pistol for hammer follow after adjusting lock work. They are not talking about going to the range an doing 50 extractor 'drills', just a couple times and you should have your answer. The same for checking hammer follow. Do I advocate doing a hammer follow check every time I re-assemble my pistol after cleaning, no. I do recommend it though after altering sear & hammer hook geometry. These tests are diagnostic/ necessary evils.

When an extractor is installed in a pistol, there are several checks performed and modifications made to the extractor to help guarantee reliable extraction. When the gun is proofed you run it hard, soft ect trying to choke it. If it fails you diagnose the problem based on where it happened in the firing cycle.

Failure to extract can have several causes, a worn/broken hook, clocking, weak tension either from improper initial set up or loss of tension due to metal fatigue which is the general death of extractors at 7-10k. Another is ammo, in particular excessively reloaded brass with dinged up rims. God I hate throwing that stuff out after I've spent the time to deprime and clean even if its tough to get in the shell holder.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Understood. So I guess the consensus is it's okay to perform the drill?

I currently just got a new Colt and would like to check if the extractor is properly functioning. Tension seemed good with a snap cap, but I wanted to be sure.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Yes it's ok to do the test. Over time, letting the slide slam forward on an empty chamber can damage the sear nose, doing it a few times won't hurt anything. 1911s aren't nearly as fragile as some folks make them out to be.
    I treat my lawnmower better than I treat my 1911.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast