Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Springfield Custom Shop work

Feedback Score

Springfield Custom Shop work

What's the difference between hand and machine checkering?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    The hand checkering is done by hand, the machine checkering is done by machine.

Just a wild guess.....
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Proud Son of a former Tomb Guard

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sl4mdaddy View Post
    The hand checkering is done by hand, the machine checkering is done by machine.

Just a wild guess.....
    You're correct, but let me rephrase the question; what's the difference in looks? Does it look the same?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    the machine checkering will be more consistant,and prob. less expensive becouse hand would take more time,and you will be charged by the hour,also take a good look at their jobs before you let anyone touch it.to get a good hand checker job, it will need to be done by a master,, any good handjob cost money!lol...

I think you should take a close look at both and then decide what you want.as far as looking the same i would say yes and no, you need to look at both,and decide which one you like best, sometimes more expensive isnt what you want,BUT normaly it cost more becouse of attention to detail, is this for the frame or grip, if its on the front grip you might look into skateboard grip tape, i put a piece on my front grip 15 years ago and its still there today as fresh as ever. and you can buy a huge sheet for like 5 bucks. if its some kind of wood, i like hand checkering becouse of the detail,but it cost.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by texasgunhand View Post
    the machine checkering will be more consistant,and prob. less expensive becouse hand would take more time,and you will be charged by the hour,also take a good look at their jobs before you let anyone touch it.to get a good hand checker job, it will need to be done by a master,, any good handjob cost money!lol...
    I'm sending it to Springfield Custom Shop. I'll probably not be able to differentiate the two, but I figured I'd ask.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    With the advancement of fixtures and tooling, I think machine checkering is superior. Hand checkering is only worth the expense if you want to be able to say your gun was hand checkered. Both have the potential to look like shit if not done by someone who knows the ins and outs of each.

Many of the more "experienced" smiths have moved away from hand checkering due to the physical toll it takes on wrists, elbows and eyes. Guys like Pete Single and some others have taken machine checkering to a high art.

There are some pretty good videos on YouTube showing each being done.
    Up men! Up! And to your posts! Let no man forget today that he is from Old Virginia! - General George Pickett

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    When the machine job is done right, it's very difficult to say that the hand checkered jobs are better

If it's for anything other than a show piece, I'd opt for machine checkering. It's cheaper, sometimes faster, and your gunsmith's elbows might last another year.
    "you give peace a chance, I'll stay here and cover you, in case it doesn't work out"

Feedback Score
    It's a $50 difference between machine and hand checkering. I initially thought machine checkering would be more precise/consistant.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I'm not affiliated with Mr. Harp, nor have I ever seen his work in person.

Just FYI...

Machine
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STaUN6XaZNI

Hand
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZvhpLzzg-0
    Up men! Up! And to your posts! Let no man forget today that he is from Old Virginia! - General George Pickett

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BBossman View Post
    I'm not affiliated with Mr. Harp, nor have I ever seen his work in person.

Just FYI...

Machine
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STaUN6XaZNI

Hand
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZvhpLzzg-0
    Very interesting videos. Thank you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast