Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 10-8 Extractor Test Question

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Are you having extraction problems on the new Colt? If so please elaborate.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ttwwaack View Post
    Are you having extraction problems on the new Colt? If so please elaborate.
    I actually have not been able to shoot the Colt since I got it about a week ago due to ammo shortage.

I do have other 1911's where I'll get a stovepipe or FTF about every 400-700 rounds with CMC magazines though and I decided that it may be a good idea to diagnose and find out what may be the problem.

I checked extractor tension, seemed to be good, and I currently have 18.5lb recoil springs on the way from Brownells. I would post a picture of the feed ramp and barrel but I am currently not home.

If the extractor is the issue, I may get the EGW HD Extractor or Wilson BP Extractor and have a smith tune and fit it.
    Last edited by beschatten; 05-15-13 at 18:42.

Feedback Score
    I'd like to add a comment here if that's okay ? I will assume it is so I will proceed;

There is no reason to do it from slide lock - insert a magazine (on a slide forward pistol) with at least one round loaded in the magazine, cycle the slide (thus chambering the round), and then drop the mag to perform the live fire extractor test

Watch for ejection - it should be consistent with 'normal' ejection ( meaning live fire with a mag in place )

Repeat the procedure

I do this for one complete magazine - in my experience , for what that's worth, one or two rounds is not sufficient

Also to clarify Hilton ( and Tim by proxy ) got this test from me - I in turn got it from Ken Hackathorn

Credit where credit is due

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    As I understand it: There is a difference in the effect on the gun between dropping the slide on an empty chamber with the trigger forward and doing the same thing with the trigger back.

If you fire a round with no magazine the trigger is back when the slide drops. The sear doesn't get "pounded" if the trigger is back.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Vickers View Post
    I'd like to add a comment here if that's okay ? I will assume it is so I will proceed;

There is no reason to do it from slide lock - insert a magazine (on a slide forward pistol) with at least one round loaded in the magazine, cycle the slide (thus chambering the round), and then drop the mag to perform the live fire extractor test

Watch for ejection - it should be consistent with 'normal' ejection ( meaning live fire with a mag in place )

Repeat the procedure

I do this for one complete magazine - in my experience , for what that's worth, one or two rounds is not sufficient

Also to clarify Hilton ( and Tim by proxy ) got this test from me - I in turn got it from Ken Hackathorn

Thats exactly how it was taught to us in the 10-8 class. Nice to know the origin of the test.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Repeat the procedure

Very cool to know that Ken was behind it. I guess I'll give it a go the next time I hit the range.

Feedback Score
    I'd like to add a comment here if that's okay ?
    Oh? What do YOU know about 1911s?
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Feedback Score

10-8 Extractor Test Question

Never mind..... Not apples to apples..
    Last edited by Hydguy; 05-25-13 at 10:57.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    If you were worried about damage to the sear couldn't you just put upward tension on the slide stop as you pulled the trigger? I've never tried that, but seems like it would work.

I've never done this test and ill do it next time I go to the range.
    All of this is just advice. You go out and do whatever the f&<€ you want to do.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DBR View Post
    As I understand it: There is a difference in the effect on the gun between dropping the slide on an empty chamber with the trigger forward and doing the same thing with the trigger back.

If you fire a round with no magazine the trigger is back when the slide drops. The sear doesn't get "pounded" if the trigger is back.
    Unless you have an ultra light trigger job somewhere around 2# you're not going to hurt anything.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12