• 22LR

33 45.83%
  • Other (please specify)

6 8.33%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Next AR build: 300BLK or 22lr ?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I was facing a similar decision several months ago and initially went with a dedicated 22lr upper build. The money that I put into that system was just plumb stupid, so I sold it all. I already had a 15/22, so it was sorta redundant anyhow. After looking at the 6.8 and the 300 for some time, I just got one of each.. No sense playing either/or.. My initial interest in the 6.8 was to build something that I could call "a hunting AR"; not because I hunt anything (I don't) just to have something to throw up to all the "hunting guys" that were throwing us AR guys under the bus. The 300 seems a good copy of the original "assault rifle" cartridge (7.92x33mm Kurz) and makes much more sense in a AR that the 7.62X39. I'm actually about to build a AR pistol in 300, just because.. I got plenty of ammo for them to! Enjoy.. Cheers.. Ron
    Last edited by Kokopelli; 05-28-13 at 13:45.
    Ain't no pockets on a shroud..

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 6933 View Post
    The reason is b/c it has limited applicability.
    As more of the country is overtaken by hogs, and more states become suppressor friendly, you'll find the 300BLK will continue to gain ground.

Here in the upper Midwest, it's more popular than 5.56 if you go off which used rifle sells faster and for more money as regular inventory levels on 5.56's return to pre-panic norms (prices are back to former retail as well).

These are great deer guns for people who like the AR platform over a traditional .243. Sure, it's not the most powerful round on the market, but we're not exactly talking about hard targets. It was only in the last couple-three years that .223 became legal for deer. .30 cal is still considered a more ethical and less placement dependent deer round by the majority of folks I've encountered.

I haven't seen blackout ammo on a shelf in 5 months - still hot as ever here. I had no idea 6 months ago I'd like this little odd duck as much as I do; but 1500 rounds later I've taken quite a liking to it.
    Owner of Simple Threaded Devices
    Visit our Facebook page

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I vote to shoot what you use. You need to feel the effects of recoil and handling with your full power defensive loads and caliber to maximize your muscle memory. Fortunately you are getting into reloading, so the long term cost will be reduced.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer762 View Post
    Rather than pick the round first, pick what you want the rifle to do. If you want short-medium range with ability to be suppressed, go with 300 BLK. If you want to hunt hogs or deer, maybe get a 6.8. If you want to reach out and touch something at 600m or more, get a 6.5 Grendel.

I would not buy a 22LR conversion because they are not as accurate as a dedicated upper. My CMMG conversion could barely get a 2" group at 25m, while the same barrel can shoot a 1/2" group at 100m with .223

I personally just sold my 300 BLK upper and all of the reloading supplies because I felt it dropped off too much after 250m for what I do. Where I live and hunt, shots need to be taken at ranges much longer than that. However reloading wasn't too hard because several people sell converted brass that worked well for me.
    Well I already stated my intended purpose: Plinking, 3-gun, and possibly hunting during the season.

I have a friend who owns a private land where we can shoot any targets we desire. He has invited me a few times to hunt hogs but we have not had the chance to make that happen. There's also public land we can go to but I would need to obtain my hunting license.

In short, it will definitely be under 150yards of shooting, whatever it is. I'm no expert, just your casual shooter and gun enthusiast. Getting a .30caliber into an AR platform other than 7.62x39 and NATO is a big plus with the 300BLK.

I might just have to wait a little longer to see if things become available the next few weeks in regards to ammo and reloading components.

Quote Originally Posted by Symmetry View Post
    I vote to shoot what you use. You need to feel the effects of recoil and handling with your full power defensive loads and caliber to maximize your muscle memory. Fortunately you are getting into reloading, so the long term cost will be reduced.
    I already shoot 5.56, 22lr, 7.62x39, and 7.62x54R so no issues there. Was hoping to expand the caliber options while sticking to the AR platform because that is what I prefer.
    Last edited by JusticeM4; 06-01-13 at 00:13.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JusticeM4 View Post
    Well I already stated my intended purpose: Plinking, 3-gun, and possibly hunting during the season.

I have a friend who owns a private land where we can shoot any targets we desire. He has invited me a few times to hunt hogs but we have not had the chance to make that happen. There's also public land we can go to but I would need to obtain my hunting license.

In short, it will definitely be under 150yards of shooting, whatever it is. I'm no expert, just your casual shooter and gun enthusiast. Getting a .30caliber into an AR platform other than 7.62x39 and NATO is a big plus with the 300BLK.

I might just have to wait a little longer to see if things become available the next few weeks in regards to ammo and reloading components.

I already shoot 5.56, 22lr, 7.62x39, and 7.62x54R so no issues there. Was hoping to expand the caliber options while sticking to the AR platform because that is what I prefer.
    Well, based on that..plinking, 3 gun and hunting and considering the other calibers you already own, I think 300 would be a good fit. Especially as you already have 5.56 mags. I'm going plinking today with my 300, BUT I also just reloaded what I'm shooting today last night. Right now, I'm sorry to say that if you want to shoot 300 you are going to have to reload, unless you have the cash to pay 3 bucks a round from the sharks on Gunbroker.

Ammo IS available but it's still way overpriced. As this scare calms down (which it is quickly) you will see more but right now it's just a waiting game.

Feedback Score
    i've done "all of the above" and here's what you should do as long as you're conflicted:
    buy a .22 conversion kit and a few mags to run in your current 5.56's
    and use the on-hand receiver to build the .300 upper.

but, the ONLY place .300 is actually worthless IS as a range/plinking gun. so skip it and get more practice ammo for your 5.56's.

and if you like actually shooting, spend your cash on an m&p15-22 instead. get the performance center model if you prefer match accuracy.

look at the numbers:
    have: stripped upper rec.
    need:
    barrel, $250
    b-nut/d-ring, $40
    gas block, $50
    gas tube, $20
    front sight, $75
    rear sight, $60
    charging handle, $20
    bcg, $200(!)
    muzzle device, $25
    handguards and cap, $50

these are prices off the top of my head, and i know you can find them cheaper, or better, or whatever...

so, let's say, $700 for a middle of the road upper. and actually doesn't matter/change much whether it's .22 or .300.

you'll still need to buy .22 mags. they're not any cheaper than 5.56 mags.

or you can buy a ready-to-shoot m&p15-22, AND a dozen mags.

i have a cmmg .22 dedicated upper. and an m&p15-22.
    the cmmg simply does not run as well as the m&p. and it fails in ways that are not useful for cross training with 5.56's
    very ammo sensitive: only likes plated rounds (runs okay with cci ar tactical).
    dedicated upper also does NOT work "just like your 5.56" (bolt hold open, release, etc.) - the 15-22 does.
    the 15-22 has yet to fail-to-anything with any ammo i've run through it.
    is the 15-22 lighter? much.

if i had to do it again? 15-22 and .300 with good barrel as $$ allows.

the 10/22 doesn't count if you're looking for any commonality with your AR skills.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Jmk, thanks for your input.

Fortunately my parts resources are way cheaper. Here is what the 300BLK parts list looks like:

Barrel - $140
    BCG - 130
    Gas block - 25
    BCM CH - 50
    Flash H - 15
    Quadrail - 95
    (already have gas tube)

Thats around $450 total for parts I need (shipped).

A M&P15-22 goes for $550 in my area, and I don't really have that cash to blow at one time. I also found 300 ammo for $29/box, expensive I know but it is coming back.

The M&P15-22 is an excellent rifle no doubt, I just cant justify spending $500+ for one when I already practice with 5.56AR's anyway. Maybe down the road *if M&P's get cheaper.

The ridiculous part is that people are trying to sell M&P's for $600+ on FTG!
    Last edited by JusticeM4; 06-04-13 at 19:38.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JusticeM4 View Post
    Jmk, thanks for your input.

Fortunately my parts resources are way cheaper. Here is what the 300BLK parts list looks like:

Barrel - $140
    BCG - 130
    Gas block - 25
    BCM CH - 50
    Flash H - 15
    Quadrail - 95
    (already have gas tube)

Thats around $450 total for parts I need (shipped).

A M&P15-22 goes for $550 in my area, and I don't really have that cash to blow at one time. I also found 300 ammo for $29/box, expensive I know but it is coming back.

The M&P15-22 is an excellent rifle no doubt, I just cant justify spending $500+ for one when I already practice with 5.56AR's anyway. Maybe down the road *if M&P's get cheaper.

The ridiculous part is that people are trying to sell M&P's for $600+ on FTG!
    sure, thing. if it's good for you, it's the right thing to do. just wanted to let you know where i came out after going down the same path.

i went somewhat high end on my .300blk parts list - i don't want to buy another one.
    but ammo is so scarce and expensive that i haven't even bothered assembling it yet.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Do a form-1 on the lower, sbr it. 4.5" .22 barrel(keeps standard ammo subsonic), can of your choice, and a 7" rail. Tons of fun and makes for good quite trigger time. I am about to build 16" barrel .22 upper too though because the 4.5" will hold a 1" group to about 20 yards. After that it really opens up (4" group at 30 yards)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmk View Post
    sure, thing. if it's good for you, it's the right thing to do. just wanted to let you know where i came out after going down the same path.

i went somewhat high end on my .300blk parts list - i don't want to buy another one.
    but ammo is so scarce and expensive that i haven't even bothered assembling it yet.
    Thanks. I'd like to go high-end too but there are other non-firearm priorities on the list.

As a background note, this was my previous PSA 300BLK rifle with a MI Gen2 rail:

Miss that rifle
    Only cost around $900 last year

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456