Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .3 MOA production rifle?

Feedback Score

.3 MOA production rifle?

Sorry if this has been posted before, but my dad just sent me this vid showing how an M700 Police is a "production .3 MOA rifle".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZpqOkc-ih8

Admittedly I'm not the most knowledgeable when it comes to shooting at extended ranges, but I would think that a production rifle consistently putting out .3 MOA groups would be rare and/or prohibitively expensive. Anyways, I'm hoping some of the more experienced long-range guys on here can help me understand what I'm seeing here. From what I can tell, he either massaged his numbers, got a lucky rifle, has a custom job, or cherry-picked his groups.

Feedback Score
    It is not uncommon for those rifles to produce that level of accuracy. I would call 1/2 moa commonplace, with a great many doing better, and 3/4 moa being extremely easy to find.
    Greg Dykstra
    Primal Rights, Inc.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    3 shot groups don't fully show a rifles true accuracy. There is math behind that showing that statistically a rifle will often shoot 3 shots close enough together to make it seem more accurate than it actually is.

That being said the 700P rifles are pretty accurate. I bet as a whole they average around .75-1 MOA. I have seen several examples of factory Remington's shoot around .5 MOA so I bet it's possible that he just got a fluke that shoots REALLY well.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    +2 on the 5 and 10 shot groups being necessary for validity. I'm not too impressed by 3 shot groups only. I am sure lots of cherry picking goes on for internet bragging rights.

However, it certainly could be one of the better examples - a consistent .5-.75 MOA for a 5 shot groups could certainly be possible.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    How does the 5R compare to the 700P, precision-wise, in general?
    Last edited by Skyyr; 06-08-13 at 00:30.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I would be shocked if a significant percentage of 700s produced .3" five shot groups on demand.

Feedback Score
    Mine has done a few .3" 5 shot groups but doesn't do that "all day long". Some is the shooter I'm sure but I would consider mine around 3/4 to 1 MOA overall.
    Last edited by gunnut284; 06-08-13 at 05:08.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I thought this was an interesting read

http://www.the-long-family.com/group_size_analysis.htm
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyyr View Post
    How does the 5R compare to the 700P, precision-wise, in general?
    I believe the 5r has what rem considers a higher grade barrel than the pss and they are ss. The sendero is the most accurate production rifle Remington makes, and is for the most part considered the starting point if you want to get into the long range game for a little less coin. The pss is no slouch either, I only have experience with one that a friend of mine bought from Mark5pt56. Upon remounting the optic for my buddy we fired it for groups with some cheep (no such thing) factory federal ammo, 180g, at 200m. One ragged hole off the bipod no less, so I would consider it a very small cross section.

Factory sendro group first 3 rounds at 200m and I pulled one.

same rifle/load group at 323m, quite good considering the optic was at 6.5 power.
    "After I shot myself, my training took over and I called my parents..." Texas Grebner

"Take me with a grain of salt, my sarcasm does not relate well over the internet"

Jonathan Morehouse

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

.3 MOA production rifle?

Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
    3 shot groups don't fully show a rifles true accuracy. There is math behind that showing that statistically a rifle will often shoot 3 shots close enough together to make it seem more accurate than it actually is.

That being said the 700P rifles are pretty accurate. I bet as a whole they average around .75-1 MOA. I have seen several examples of factory Remington's shoot around .5 MOA so I bet it's possible that he just got a fluke that shoots REALLY well.
    I have seen very few rifles that could hold .3 over 5-10 shot groups. I have seen many that could do it for three. Many folks will shoot multiple 3 shot groups that look like sub .5 moa. But if you superimposed them they open up to closer to 1 moa.

Multiple 10 round groups will tell you what your rifle will do.

My cryo'd OBR will shoot some crazy small 3 shot groups at 100. (.1-.2). 5 shot groups are usually around .4-.5 and 10 shot groups .5-.7.

If I just shot a bunch of 3 shoot groups with a clean cool barrel. My rifle would seem supernatural. But in reality it is a fairly standard OBR.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast