Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: .3 MOA production rifle?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Many rifles can produce that. Factory and custom. I've had a stock ltr shoot 1/4 moa with hand loads. The question is, is the shooter capable of being a .3 moa shooter, consistently.
    Tier 1 Defense
    Precision rifle builders
    (908)403-1757
    www.tieronedefense.com
    www.facebook.com/tier1defense

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by shattuck View Post
    I have seen very few rifles that could hold .3 over 5-10 shot groups. I have seen many that could do it for three. Many folks will shoot multiple 3 shot groups that look like sub .5 moa. But if you superimposed them they open up to closer to 1 moa.

Multiple 10 round groups will tell you what your rifle will do.

My cryo'd OBR will shoot some crazy small 3 shot groups at 100. (.1-.2). 5 shot groups are usually around .4-.5 and 10 shot groups .5-.7.

If I just shot a bunch of 3 shoot groups with a clean cool barrel. My rifle would seem supernatural. But in reality it is a fairly standard OBR.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited by m4hk33; 06-17-13 at 07:53.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by orkan View Post
    It is not uncommon for those rifles to produce that level of accuracy. I would call 1/2 moa commonplace, with a great many doing better, and 3/4 moa being extremely easy to find.
    Agreed.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    What ammo is being shot?

A rifle cannot shoot better than the ammo loaded into it.

If the ammo used is a factory load like Federal Gold Medal Match, then what accuracy standard is that load built to?

Typically, most factory match ammo is held to a 0.75-1.0 MOA requirement; occasionally an exceptional lot is found that approaches 0.5 MOA. NONE of the major ammo vendors produces consistent 0.3 MOA match ammo loads.

The rifle cannot consistently and reliably shoot better than the ammo loaded into it.

Testing needs to be 4-5 groups with at least 5 rds or even better, 10 rd groups.

That will provide a more accurate and realistic understanding of how a particular rifle and ammo combination will perform.

None of us involved in ballistic testing has EVER seen any type of rifle, from any vendor, consistently group below 0.5 MOA using factory ammo when tested correctly using multiple 5-10 shot groups. Most high quality rifles shooting the best factory ammo run 0.75-1 MOA, which is quite good.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I'd consider it about a given that anyone chasing this level of accuracy is handloading ammo specific to the gun.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Several vendors have told LE agencies that they offer guaranteed less than 0.5 MOA rifles--NONE have ever lived up to the claim when several random rifles are tested using multiple 5-10 shot groups with factory ammo...

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Yeah... you'd be pretty lucky to get a gun that'd run under half MOA with Gold medal match. It's good ammo, but it's not dialed to every gun out there.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Only vendor I can think of that might take the challenge would be TacOps but he's pretty much a one man shop.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    A lot of it has to do with the shooter, too. Not everyone can just sit down and start shooting .300" groups.

Okie John
    Quote Originally Posted by Suwannee Tim View Post
    He wants something par-full. But not too par-full.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    A lot of it has to do with the shooter, too. Not everyone can just sit down and start shooting .300" groups.

Okie John
    I know I can't hold it together for 10 rounds. I simply do not shoot 10 round groups for that very reason. I start getting impatient and sloppy... and even fatigued or frustrated if I'm fighting any part of my position or the gun.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast