Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 300 BLK Remington 220gr Subsonic Gel Test

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rsilvers View Post
    An arrow was designed for hunting, so that would make it better than a MK?
    The premise to me is that a three bladed hunting broad head is the ethical way to harvest game via archery. In the same line of thinking, I utilize bonded, expanding bullets for hunting medium gamerather than varmint or target bullets.

The SMK is like the target/field point of the archery world. You can kill stuff with it but it isn't the best tool in the toolbox for a quick, ethical harvest.

Ultimately, the hunter must choose for himself but it seems the utility of using a subsonic round is not a sufficient enough benefit to justify use of a non expanding bullet.

Feedback Score
    Is the desire to hunt with primitive weapons, such as archery, a sufficient enough reason to justify use of a broadhead arrow instead of an expanding bullet from a rifle?

Maybe people enjoy the extra skill required to get closer to the game as needed for either.

Not me. I would use supersonic expanding. But just sayin'
    Last edited by rsilvers; 06-01-13 at 19:20.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rsilvers View Post
    Is the desire to hunt with primitive weapons, such as archery, a sufficient enough reason to justify use of a broadhead arrow instead of an expanding bullet from a rifle?

Maybe people enjoy the extra skill required to get closer to the game as needed for either.

Not me. I would use supersonic expanding. But just sayin'
    Deer run just as far when hit by my .308 or slug gun as with a broadhead. That is to say, some are DRT, some run a little, and some run like a scalded dog, piling up with a skid mark in the leaves.

A bad hit is a bad hit no matter what the weapon, but that is the only thing that tips the favor to a high powered rifle. However, I doubt a deer that is gutshot with a subsonic anything will behave much differently than if gushot with a broadhead.

There is a good analogy to tease out of this, though. The gel results of the SMK are similar to what would be made with a field point, not a broadhead.

Feedback Score
    Next time try the gel test with 240 grn smk in a 1:8 twist barrel (not 1:7)
    and see how the bullet tumbles and tears instead of making a round hole.
    Last edited by redtazdog; 06-03-13 at 22:13.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by redtazdog View Post
    Next time try the gel test with 240 grn smk in a 1:8 twist barrel (not 1:7)
    and see how the bullet tumbles and tears instead of making a round hole.
    That combination seems to have a good real-world track record with game for the reason you point out. With few exceptions, however, I only test factory ammunition.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123