Thread: Need Help With Optics Options

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Need Help With Optics Options

I locally shoot a monthly 3-gun match where the maximum range is only 80 yards, but some of the targets are hand-sized steel to simulate greater distances. I also live in a rural setting where a homeland-defense SHTF type rifle should be capable at least to 200 yards (the distance through deep woods from my house out to the main drive).

Currently I'm running an Aimpoint ML2 with a 4 MOA dot. At the last match, a fellow shooter lent me his 3x magnifier, which was the first time I had ever tried one. The small targets were bigger and easier to see, but so was the dot. So these targets got hidden behind the dot pretty much the same, whether shooting with or without the magnifier. Didn't really help much. The same thing would be happening with that zombie hoard or band of renagade bikers coming through the woods to my house!

I'm now looking into some kind of upgrade from the 4 MOA ML2, which I figure will be either:
    (A) another Aimpoint with a 2 MOA dot, along with the separate magnifier, or
    (B) some kind of variable-power scope.

Looking around, it seems like taking option A is going to run me somewhere $1200-$1300 altogether, which appears to be roughly the same as the option-B S&B scope that I'm learning is highly regarded.

Other option-B choices, however, seem to cost a lot less. This includes the Nightforce, but it apparently has some brightness issues. The Trijicon Accupoint also is a lot less -- I'm not yet sure of any drawbacks it may have.

The other impression I got using the Aimpoint-magnifier combo was the much more limited field-of-view. I had to spend more time searching around for the next target before I could engage it. Option A would allow me the full field for CQB by just swinging the magnifier out of the way, whereas any option-B set-up would likely still limit the field even when cranked back to 1x.

Given my needs outlined above, what would you recommend?

Thanks for any help.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    How about Millett DMS-1 (1-4X illuminated circle dot) and Larue SPR mount for less than $450?

Feedback Score
    I would try a low powered 1-4, 1.5-6, 2-7 optic. No need to go to a Short Dot unless you want to. You could also mount a small reflex/red dot (Burris, Dr Optic) on the rail or on top of your optic for close in stuff.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Thanks for the steers guys. I'll follow-up on them.

I just read USMC03's very well thought-out post here: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=4209

Based on my needs assessment, he would appear to recommend that I just stay with the set-up I've got.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    As you've found out the magnifier is a nice option but it really works best with a 2MOA dot. It's a good set up which give you a 1-3x or 1-4x option. This is why I prefer variable scopes. Mine is a Vari-X III 1.5-5x, the dot is about 4MOA on my scope too (I have the German No.4 reticle).

Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Thanks Robb. In addition to the virtual sea of variable-power choices, there seems to be some pretty huge price differences among different models -- like by an order-of-magnitude. Do the units ranging from ~$200-$700 have the umph to serve reliably in a home-defense role, or are they mostly for matches, range work, etc. I don't want to spend more than I must, but likewise want to have a reasonably comfortable margin of confidence. Is $1000-$2000 really needed to achieve that?