Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: What Did You Grow Up With That Is Gone Forever...?

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Penny candy stores.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Re: What Did You Grow Up With That Is Gone Forever...?

My mullet.

I can travel 30 min in any direction & hit either a drive-in theater, VHS video store, arcade or mom & pop hardware store. In fact, I frequent the hardware store quite often. It still has the creaky hardwood floors and all. That's my honey hole for reloading supplies, I've even scored a dusty, old restricted 6920 from there.
    I know what you're saying, Steyr, about being off the grid. My buddy's & I would hop on our Redlines & Haros and peddle 5 miles out to another town for popsicles, jumping every driveway culvert on the way. We'd be gone all day & it felt like we were soooo far away from home. Oh, the good 'ol days...

Sent via Tapatalk
    Last edited by Ryno12; 05-20-13 at 12:23.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Kids walking to school.

Seriously, the moms around here drive their kids 800 yards to the bus stop and then wait for them in the afternoon to drive them home.

I wonder why we have fat kids these days, such a mystery.

-bc

Feedback Score
    Amusement parks are disappearing.

Growing up in Detroit, there was Boblo Island, and amusement park that was around for 90+ years, where you took a steam ferry for a 1 hour trip down river to the island. It was relatively inexpensive, closer than Cedar Point, and used to go there 2 -3 times every summer. Great times and found memories...
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Feedback Score

Re: What Did You Grow Up With That Is Gone Forever...?

The local barber shop. When I was a kid I got my hair cut down the block at a barber shop called Brunos. Run by John Bruno, old Italian guy. I miss that place.

The constitution.....

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by gunrunner505; 05-20-13 at 09:00.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Industrial Art Classes...

I had the good fortune of being exposed to wood and metal shop starting in Junior High. My son who is a high school freshman this year will never get the opportunity to learn the basics in wood shop, metal shop and automotives.

My mother still has every project I ever made. That being said, its 5 o'clock somewhere...

To my shop teachers Mr. Bennett, Mr. Berkshire and the man himself Doc Drescher, cheers!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    The "Rocket Slide". We had one in the park behind my house in Chicago identical to this one pictured in Iowa:

****ing lawyers.
    "The future's uncertain, and the end is always near." Jim Morrison

"Fortuitous outcomes reinforce poor training and tactics"

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    They won't let them ride the bus either. Riding the bus was as natural as breathing for us 50's & 60's kids...

Quote Originally Posted by Business_Casual View Post
    Kids walking to school.

Seriously, the moms around here drive their kids 800 yards to the bus stop and then wait for them in the afternoon to drive them home.

I wonder why we have fat kids these days, such a mystery.

-bc
    Ain't no pockets on a shroud..

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Just seeing kids playing around the neighborhood. We used to all hang out at a vacant lot down the street where there was a big tree that had half a dozen different tree houses in it. The little kids had a pallet nailed to a branch six feet off the ground while the older kids had veritable "sky mansions" twenty feet up. We walked or rode our bikes everywhere .. with our dogs running alongside. We knew everybody in the neighborhood. They might be the grumpy old guy or the local "Boo Radley" house, but we knew who they were. We would have neighborhood games of "kick the can" with twenty-five kids playing. We'd put together backyard "carnivals" where we'd build our own game booths and snack stands, selling cookies and cupcakes our moms baked to each other and then spending whatever we made at some other kid's game. The same five bucks in change would get passed back and forth ten times in an afternoon.

There was a very real neighborhood "community." It wasn't Walton's mountain ... not everybody got along and we weren't all bosom buddies. But we knew each other. We knew who drove what, we knew whose kids were whose, we knew which dog lived where.

I'm fortunate to live in the same town where I grew up. I live within a half mile of where I've lived (in three different houses) for fifty years of my life. And I know most of my neighbors. But it's a different vibe. All those kids running around together were kind of the social lubricant that opened up channels of communication. There was a neighborhood elementary school and the kids were all in the same class. Families grew to know each other because their kids were hanging out together.

My parents are elderly. A lot of their contemporaries have passed. And when there's a funeral, the majority of folks showing up are the kids. The old kids from the neighborhood. And most of the conversations generally end up shooting the shit about our childhood hijinks back in the "old neighborhood."

Now I drive through these new neighborhoods with all little McMansions and the manicured yards and the drawn shades. And not a kid in sight on a sunny Saturday afternoon.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    1. The Coal industry
    2. SKS rifles for $79 and m44s for $39
    3. Jobs
    4. Cassettes
    5. Low Sulphur Diesel
    6. Twinkies

Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast