Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: What Did You Grow Up With That Is Gone Forever...?

Feedback Score
    Mom and pop convenience stores, where I knew the owners personally. The last one I frequented was in Sacramento, and it's owner closed it down in '09 after he found out he had cancer. Luckily he made it, but he isn't in good enough health to keep it open. Also, there's a Wal Mart that's too close by. ****ers.

Record/Music stores that aren't chains. I worked at a music store from the time I was 15 to the time I was 19. Loved every second of it. Lots of cool promotional stuff, and free tickets to see all my favorite bands.

Mom and pop book stores. Loved the one that was on Pacific Avenue in Tacoma.

There's a lot. Maybe one day it'll come back.
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    1. Common Sense. ;-)
    2. Bike hills - There used to be tons of them for riding BMX bikes on. Local parents would take their equipment out and build up some jumps and paths in empty lots for their kids to ride on. Now, there's too much risk of being sued, so they were all flattened out. A shame, I had so much fun riding those jumps and trails as a kid.
    Last edited by Zhurdan; 05-20-13 at 09:40.
    Time flies when you throw your watch.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nickdrak View Post
    The "Rocket Slide". We had one in the park behind my house in Chicago ...

****ing lawyers.
    This reminds me of the old (stripped out) Martin B-57 bomber that used to be in Dennis the Menace Park/Sherman Park in Sioux Falls, SD when I was a kid. You could mangle yourself three-ways-to-Sunday playing on that thing (falling off of a wing, getting stuck in an engine inlet, catching a sharp edge in the cockpit), but man ... was that ever fun.

As I recall, they had an old Armored Personnel Carrier, a fire truck and even an AAA gun on site, too. Try getting away with any of that today.

Good times.

AC
    Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here. -- Captain John Parker, Lexington, 1775.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Well stocked inde records stores. There a chain in my home town, one shitty one here full of hipster crap.

The ice cream shop at the lake
    gas @ .99c
    totally rad toy commercials.
    When WWF didnt suck (RIP Machoman!)
    When metal ruled the earth
    Knowing all the neighbors
    You could get in a fight at school and they would only call your parents.
    Analog sound. Vacuum tubes still rule the world of guitar amps for a reason.
    When my family was still awesome and every weekend was spent at the lake/motocross track
    When small .22 rifles didnt have plastic parts.
    A car you could fix with your ear and a screw driver vs. a computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Zhurdan View Post
    2. Bike hills - There used to be tons of them for riding BMX bikes on. Local parents would take their equipment out and build up some jumps and paths in empty lots for their kids to ride on. Now, there's too much risk of being sued, so they were all flattened out. A shame, I had so much fun riding those jumps and trails as a kid.

Go to the woods my friend.

Feedback Score
    1. Oysters and shrimp as affordable lunch and beer snacks @ $4 a basket instead of $1 apiece.
    2. Anything cool and antique Americana not being bid up to Gucci price level.
    3. Makarovs, AK kits, FAL kits for less than $100.
    4. Public schools not being run by far left communists, producing normal people with real grasp of the world.
    5. Entire schools full of kids without numerous psychological diagnoses w/ accompanying medications and bizarre food allergies.

...Actually, screw accepting this. We need to get it back. I don't know who of us requested this wholesale scrapping of the America we know, but it sure as hell wasn't me.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things with insane laws...it's...insane!" -- Penn Jillette

Feedback Score
    1. A thriving job market and a decent economy!

2. gas prices that were so low....they were not a constant concern.

3. The notion that everything was "ok" and that America, American culture and life as we knew it would just go on forever and was not being threatened at every turn.

...yeah...I miss those days.

-brickboy240

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Army Chief View Post
    This reminds me of the old (stripped out) Martin B-57 bomber that used to be in Dennis the Menace Park/Sherman Park in Sioux Falls, SD when I was a kid. You could mangle yourself three-ways-to-Sunday playing on that thing (falling off of a wing, getting stuck in an engine inlet, catching a sharp edge in the cockpit), but man ... was that ever fun.

As I recall, they had an old Armored Personnel Carrier, a fire truck and even an AAA gun on site, too. Try getting away with any of that today.

Good times.

AC
    ... Your childhood had APC, an AAA gun, and a stripped plane in the park?

Your childhood was way more awesome than mine.
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Feedback Score

Re: What Did You Grow Up With That Is Gone Forever...?

Quote Originally Posted by brickboy240 View Post

3. The notion that everything was "ok" and that America, American culture and life as we knew it would just go on forever and was not being threatened at every turn.

...yeah...I miss those days.

-brickboy240
    The crappy part about this is that the Russians or Libyans or some other nut job elsewhere in the word is no longer the biggest threat to our way of life.

The biggest threat to America and our way of life is our own government. Now that sucks....

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    Nope, the biggest threat is the large number of our own citizens that believe the progressives and leftists and their lies.

The very people living amongst us that believe that everything was Bush's fault, that taking away guns is ok and are largely detached from the reality of the growing and oppressive govt. that they voted for.

THEY are the biggest threat...because they now outnumber us.

-brickboy240

Feedback Score
    1. Paper and plastic cups, boxes, containers of all kinds that weren't so flimsy that you can easily crush or damage them and spill your stuff.
    2. Coca Cola with real sugar in it. Drink a Coke made in Mexico for a reminder of what Coke is supposed to taste like.
    3. Things that used to be made to last--like out of steel or wood--and are now made of plastic or some other cheap material. I have a set of card table chairs that were probably made in the 1940's and are still going strong. I watched a more modern set of chairs made of thin tubing that only lasted a couple of years.
    4. Things that used to be made in America but are now made in China.
    5. Cars that with some tools and some knowledge you could work on in your garage. Now you've got to have diagnostic computers and the whole shebang.
    6. Women without tattoos that didn't shave their nether regions.
    7. The expectation of good customer service rather than the expectation you're going to be given the runaround.
    8. The general lack of having to worry about everything you eat, drink, breathe, or touch.
    9. One working person could have enough money for the car, the house, and sending the kid's to college. Now both spouses work and they can't make ends meet.
    10. TV shows that stayed in a time slot and didn't get moved around like pieces on a chess board.

Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast