Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: What Did You Grow Up With That Is Gone Forever...?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SteyrAUG View Post
    List those things that were the norm for most of your life but are now the equivalent of a horse and buggy. They exist but you don't see them very often.
    Scruples.

Used to be the norm in the past but in our new age it seems nobody has any scruples. Quite disturbing. The concept is all but gone.
    Last edited by Ick; 05-20-13 at 13:45.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    - The very back of the Sears catalog at Christmas time. Oh the amount of time I spent day dreaming about all the cool toys!

- Taking my single-pump Daisy BB gun everywhere with me.

Feedback Score
    You are right about manners and morals.

In most people under the age of say 30....they are almost non-existent.

It is as if at some point...most parents just stopped teaching their kids how to behave or act in public. My kid is one of the only ones I know that holds doors open for older people and says "yes sir" and "thank you."

(waiting for the under-30 posters to jump in and call me a cranky old fool and ream me out.....proving my point! LOL)

-brickboy240
    Last edited by brickboy240; 05-20-13 at 14:09.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    1) Common Sense. The real kind. Not the BS kind called for when people are trying to take away our rights.

2) Imagination. Seems to be little these days with video games & TV acting as a replacement of sorts.

3) Kids without cell phones/mobile televisions/electronic entertainment devices in front of their faces 24/7. <--- I really can't stand this.

4) Real playgrounds made out of wood and steel- with stuff you could get hurt on and have fun on. (Remember those slides that were steeper than the pitch on the local church steeple, 150 degrees on cloudy days that shot you off the bottom so quickly and violently you were lucky to take your teeth with you? ) Not these plastic safety zones for kids we have these days.

5) Bottle rocket/roman candle/firecracker wars. At any given park on any summer day there were different wars being played out by different factions of children armed with firecrackers of variouos kinds. Haven't seen this (Or been a part of one) in a decade or so now.

What I really miss the most:

The "Colorado" I grew up in.
    We interrupt this programme to bring you an important news bulletin: the suspect in the Happy Times All-Girl Glee Club slaying has fled the scene and has managed to elude the police. He is armed and dangerous, and has been spotted in the West Side area, armed with a meat cleaver in one hand and his genitals in the other...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Re: What Did You Grow Up With That Is Gone Forever...?

Couple more I thought of... Count Chocula, candy cigarettes, Mr. Pibb & as of just recently, Hungry Man XL dinners. Can't find any of those by me any more.
    Sorry, not very nostalgic. I'm just hungary...
    Sent via Tapatalk
    Last edited by Ryno12; 05-20-13 at 14:47.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I really miss the news stand, book stores and record stores. It is definitely sad when small privately owned shops like this are forced out of business.

The video rental store on the other hand got what they deserved. Netflix is awesome, as is the ability to buy a DVD for what it cost to rent one (and maybe a day late).

Feedback Score

Re: What Did You Grow Up With That Is Gone Forever...?

Quote Originally Posted by THCDDM4 View Post
    1)
    5) Bottle rocket/roman candle/firecracker wars. At any given park on any summer day there were different wars being played out by different factions of children armed with firecrackers of variouos kinds. Haven't seen this (Or been a part of one) in a decade or so now.
    [/U][/B].
    How about toy plastic rifles? We used to go into the local toy store, C. Fosters Toys, and get toy AK looking rifles and have wars up and down the block. If that happened today you'd have HRT shut down your whole neighborhood for a few 10 year olds.....

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by montanadave View Post
    Just seeing kids playing around the neighborhood. We used to all hang out at a vacant lot down the street where there was a big tree that had half a dozen different tree houses in it. The little kids had a pallet nailed to a branch six feet off the ground while the older kids had veritable "sky mansions" twenty feet up. We walked or rode our bikes everywhere .. with our dogs running alongside. We knew everybody in the neighborhood. They might be the grumpy old guy or the local "Boo Radley" house, but we knew who they were. We would have neighborhood games of "kick the can" with twenty-five kids playing. We'd put together backyard "carnivals" where we'd build our own game booths and snack stands, selling cookies and cupcakes our moms baked to each other and then spending whatever we made at some other kid's game. The same five bucks in change would get passed back and forth ten times in an afternoon.

There was a very real neighborhood "community." It wasn't Walton's mountain ... not everybody got along and we weren't all bosom buddies. But we knew each other. We knew who drove what, we knew whose kids were whose, we knew which dog lived where.

I'm fortunate to live in the same town where I grew up. I live within a half mile of where I've lived (in three different houses) for fifty years of my life. And I know most of my neighbors. But it's a different vibe. All those kids running around together were kind of the social lubricant that opened up channels of communication. There was a neighborhood elementary school and the kids were all in the same class. Families grew to know each other because their kids were hanging out together.

My parents are elderly. A lot of their contemporaries have passed. And when there's a funeral, the majority of folks showing up are the kids. The old kids from the neighborhood. And most of the conversations generally end up shooting the shit about our childhood hijinks back in the "old neighborhood."

Now I drive through these new neighborhoods with all little McMansions and the manicured yards and the drawn shades. And not a kid in sight on a sunny Saturday afternoon.

Where I spent the first twelve years growing up was pretty much Walton's Mountain.. A little town on Clinch Mountain named Powder Springs Tennessee.. I miss it.. Ron
    Ain't no pockets on a shroud..

Feedback Score
    Nintendo 64
    Red Ryder BB guns
    Cap guns
    Surge

Doc Glockster: You do know that refined sugar is just as bad for you as HFCS, it's all insulin inducing carbs. And why the hell would you want unshaven chicks?
    Dogma is failure - Ken Hackathorn

Only performance counts - Paul Sharp

Feedback Score
    and our small local store we ran a tab paid once a week

Quote Originally Posted by ridgerunner70 View Post
    I miss our country store. It was a husband and wife and they lived there. I would pick up soda bottle and turn them in for I think I dime a piece. The old timers sat around the stove that sat in the middle of the store. Had the big cooler you reached and got your soda with the bottle opener on the side of the chest. Had one soda machine outside put the money in and small door opened and you pulled your soda bottle out. When his wife passed away it wasn't a month the husband passed. The floor had cracks in it and when we tore it down there was old change, letters, (it was our post office as well), etc. Would like to see small country store like that again.

Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast