Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AAR: Redback One 2-Day Combat Carbine, Birchwood AK,

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

AAR: Redback One 2-Day Combat Carbine, Birchwood AK,

Course: Redback One Combat Carbine
    Date: May 18 and 19, 2013

This class culminated a week of Redback One training in Alaska. Two full classes of one day Women’s Intro to Handgun courses, a two day Basic Pistol class, and then the two day Combat Carbine class I attended. Jason has been doing a great job of bringing quality training to Alaska.

This is my fourth Redback One class. I have attended Basic Pistol, Basic Carbine, Combat Pistol and now Combat Carbine. I have only received formal handgun and carbine training with Redback One.

Looking back on last year’s AAR for Redback One’s Basic Carbine class last October, I had to chuckle at the similarities. https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...&highlight=AAR This class began with a unseasonable 2” of snow the night before class and 27 degree temps. I was fully prepared for the worst and came prepared with proper clothing to train in that type of weather, as did the rest of the class. Kneepads abounded, I believe everyone brought theirs. They must have read my AAR about the Basic class. The weather improved substantially throughout the day and it actually turned out to be a pleasant day.

Once again, day one opened with class room time. This classroom time is essential to fill out the required hold harmless agreements, photography and video permission paperwork, and roll call. We had 14 students. Jason went through all the safety procedures. He defined the minor and major infractions and the related disciplinary actions that would result if you failed to follow any of them. This is an intermediate level class and the more advanced drills required utmost adherence to the safety rules. As this was an intermediate class, the classroom time was much shorter than the Basic Carbine class. We finished the classroom time with a lesson in Jason’s preferred 50yard zero for the carbine. This discussion was to get everyone on the same page for the class. We finished up in less than two hours and headed to the range to zero.

The zeroing process took about 20 minutes. Most of us were veterans of RB1 classes and had an established 50 yard zero. We fired one 3 round group to confirm and moved on. A couple students had new equipment that was quickly zeroed. It was nice to be in a group of more experienced shooters and not burning up time getting squared away.

As mentioned above, the students were well prepared for the class. We had several combat veteran soldiers, seasoned Alaskans, and a well prepared Hawaiian in the class. All had appropriate clothing for the class so there was no wasted time in trying to survive the poor weather. Redback One believes that you need to train as you fight. Bad weather is not a reason to go easy, it’s an opportunity to shake out your gear in hard conditions. Every student was running an AR of some sort. All were high quality carbines, but some ammo used by students was of questionable quality. Most stoppages, including my own, were ammo related.

Day one drills involved some dot torture to learn our holdovers at short ranges, learning to shoot off balance left and right, shooting around cover using strong side only left and right, cadence drills to build our speed, reload drills, and transitions from the carbine to pistol. We worked hard on getting the carbine back in action after finishing off your opponent with the handgun by reloading the carbine or solving the stoppage of the carbine. To do this we worked with every manner of carbine stoppage you can imagine and solved it the Redback One way.

Jason firmly believes in challenging you both mentally AND physically, often both at the same time. He wants you to think on your feet under stress. Throughout day one there were relay races that tested each block of skills we learned. We were split into two teams and that bred some healthy competition. Misses were treated with having to run penalty laps. Pretty soon you figured out a balance of running fast enough to get the job done, and taking the time to make your shots count. If you are a fat out of shape guy like me, you’d better shoot good I did and didn’t run any penalty laps that day. Penalty laps were also doled out for dropping gear or not running the gun properly.

The end of day one saw a briefing on controlling bleeding in a shooting situation and the importance of tourniquets.

Day two dawned bright and sunny with temps that started at 30F and moved up to the mid 40’s.It was a beautiful day for training.

Day two started with more barrier shooting drills from the left and right sides. This progressed into learning strong side to weak side carbine transitions. Jason systematically taught us the process and we then progressed to using it while shooting from cover. It was amazing how tiring repetitive transitions on command are if the instructor doesn’t allow you to put the rifle down. We moved on to shooting more drills that taught us roll-over prone and shooting from cover in various positions in both strong side and weak side. When done with these drills you definitely could feel the burn, as it put us in some weird positions that you rarely come up with in your own training. We had more timed competitions that were challenging both physically and mentally. We finished the day working with a teammate against another team shooting from cover and, yes, more running.

We finished the training on day two with a drill on improvised tourniquets. Redback One really stresses the important skills of combat first aid.

We finished the course with awards for various races and funny moments in the class. Jason brought some good swag for the prizes and that was really nice.

I was very satisfied with this class. I learned a tremendous amount that I will integrate into my personal training. One of the biggest things I learned was that to be an effective fighter, physical conditioning is as important as your fighting skills. In fact, it’s hard to have good fighting skills without strength and balance. I came away from the class as tired and sore as I haven’t been in twenty years. This is not to say that the training is over the top, but for a guy that is 60 lbs over weight, it’s a challenge. With Redback One you have the option of opting out of any drill, so I wouldn’t be afraid of the training. You will just get more out of it if you are in shape. I’ve reached the point that my physical condition is holding me back from reaching the next step. I will say that the 30lbs I have lost since my Basic Carbine class made a HUGE difference. When I lose the other 60lbs I will be headed to the states to pick up an Advanced Carbine class with Jason (when I pass his standards). Oddly enough, on my two hour drive home, I came up with a workout that combines all of Jason’s shooting drills with a workout of sprinting, stretching and calisthenics. This might very well get me to work out by combining exercise with my interest in shooting.

Thank you to Jason and Giselle for running a top notch training company and bringing your talent to Alaska.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Great AAR, Doug.

I don't have a lot to add other than that this was my third RB1 class, and it was without question the most intense of the three. It definitely was not a feel-good, "everyone's a snowflake" class. If you sucked, Jason let you know it, which I personally thought was ****ing bad ass (despite being one of the guys who sucked). Lots of low percentage targets. Lots of Misses. And lots of punishment PT.

I drove down to Achorage from Fairbanks with my best friend, an active duty 11B E6, and we both couldn't talk stopping about what a great class it was on the six hour drive back home. Honestly, this was the first class where I felt like I was drinking from a firehouse, rather than just refreshing things that I already knew, which was exactly what I was hoping for.

Here's a few cell phone pics of the two of us. I'm sure Kyle will have better ones of the whole class in a bit, but until then this should hold people over...

My best friend "IH8POGS" heading down to the hotel lobby on the morning of TD1 with a luggage rack full of drama...

My buddy getting ready for TD1 (and yes, it was snowing 10 ****ing days before June):

Some random "barricade" drills:

Putting together a bolt carrier group under stress like a boss (it's supposed to take 45 minutes, right?):

These are just some pics of some Kydex I was wearing from a local startup company called Arctic Concealment. I'll be writing a review of them soon, but the jest of it is that they were ****ing awesome:

I just posted this picture because it gives me an erection:

Last edited by F-Trooper05; 05-24-13 at 03:21.
    "Remember, if it doesn't violate the BYU Honor Code, it's not worth doing"
    -Daniel Tosh

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Sorry if the pics are upside down for some of you. They're iPhone pics, and on my Mac they look fine.
    -Daniel Tosh

Feedback Score
    What grip is on the gun with the alpha rail with the holes. (not the one with the slotted vtac trx)
    Quote Originally Posted by skd_tactical View Post
    It's a shot in the dark ... I have a better chance of guessing when my wife will be mad for no reason.
    "If your not using an aimpoint, you need to take a ****ing piss test." -LAV

Feedback Score

AAR RedBack One 2 Day Combat Carbine AK

Red Back One

AAR 2 Day Combat Carbine

Instructor: Jason Falla

Class Date: 5/18-5/19 2013

Rifle Equipment Present: Noveske, Colt, and Daniel Defense rifles were present as well as several “combination” type rifles.
    Pistol Equipment Present- primarily Glocks, as well as an M&P, a 1911 (not sure on the brand), and an XD.

Student Make-up: The class was a mix of civilians, active duty military and at least one LEO.

Day 1
    Weather: Day one students were greeted with snow and temperatures in the low to mid thirties. Most students drove past several vehicles that had lost control on the road, and were in the ditch, with one vehicle roll-over.

The class linked up at the classroom shortly before 0800. Once there, Jason took care of the required administrative actions which included liability release waivers, emergency contact information should the unfortunate occur, and an opportunity for any felons do self-identify and leave the group’s presence.

Jason then discussed his background in the Australian military ( go to Red Back One’s website for additional details) as well as his extensive training experience stateside since relocating to the U.S. He then discussed range safety expectations and gave a thorough explanation of potential consequences should a student violate safety expectations resulting in either a “minor” or “major” safety violation.

Jason did a quick review of the seven shooting fundamentals, promised more to come on those, then launched into a discussion on exterior and terminal ballistics as well as appropriate zeroing distances for the 5.56 platform. Jason then laid on performance expectations for the class and talked briefly about Red Back One’s shooting and training methodology. NOTE- This class was not a beginner level class, and required prior instruction for rifle and pistol. Having attended the Basic Pistol Class the two days previous to this class, I was greatly impressed with Jason’s safety brief in the basic course. It is by far the most comprehensive safety brief I have observed, and it would start someone off on the right path.

We then rallied at the range where approximately half the class needed to either zero or confirm their rifle’s zero. After zeroing, Jason’s first instructional block included offset, relation of sights to axis of the rifle’s bore, and transition drills from primary to secondary weapon systems. He then introduced us to his IDP (Individual Protection Drill) which allows a shooter to be capable of scanning/engaging threats with their secondary weapon system while recovering and addressing their rifle’s stoppage. Jason then had the class conduct a team relay type drill inducing elevated cardio and driving home the point of “patience on the sights” as well as not overrunning one’s cardio.

The next blocks of instruction surrounded recoil management (one of his passionate topics) emphasizing the need for appropriate “sight package” and aggressive grip and stance. During this block, Jason introduced the class to “counting” one’s shots out loud when conducting recoil management/rhythm drills. This technique greatly aided me in decreasing split times significantly. Jason also mentioned acceptable time limits, with an emphasis of not accelerating beyond “combat speed”.

The next block of instruction focused around malfunction clearance drills with a good lecture on “cycle of operation”. Prior to this block a couple of students had rifle stoppages, for various reasons, and struggled with reducing them. After the block of instruction, and lots of practice, stoppages were reduced more smoothly, even under the stress of relay type events for this block and others.

The last block of instruction for the first day focused on TCCC (Tactical Combat Casualty Care) principals with a strong emphasis on TQ (tourniquet) preparation (prior to deployment), TQ placement, achieving appropriate constriction effect, and the construction and use of improvised tourniquets. The class was given an improvised TQ assignment, as homework, we conducted a quick debrief of the day’s training, and were released for the day at approximately 1900.

Day 2 (stress day-my term)
    Weather Day 2- Second day sunny and clear with temperatures warming up to low to mid forties.

The first block of instruction revolved around engaging masked threats and cover/concealment work from the strong side shoulder only, around both strong and support side cover. Jason then covered his methodology for transferring the rifle from strong side to support side in order to utilize the most out of one’s cover. Jason discussed the tactical/technical pros and cons to each method making it clear it is shooter and situational driven. The class then conducted a “conga” line drill laterally prior to individual/timed runs with strong/support side rifle usage with rifle stoppages, and clearances mixed in, with some students electing to add profanity in the steps.

The second block of instruction was a continuance of the previous day’s trauma block focusing on TQ usage (appropriate constriction), placement (high and tight), and Jason gave a demo of field expedient TQ usage from items he scrounged from behind the line.

The class then moved back to the barricades to work rifle transitions from strong shoulder to support shoulder in conjunction with strong side/support side cover, as well as unconventional positions to include rollover prone and junkyard prone, while focusing on safe individual movement, conducting threat scans prior to moving , and negotiating sight/bore offset issues.

The class then broke into a team barricade (over distance) drill, with a search for items each team was to secure and return to the FOB for times; prior to Jason ending the second day by having each two person team apply a TQ to their partner from the “home made” materials (homework assignment) they were supposed to secure. My partner’s was great, mine sucked, didn’t work as planned…

We then conducted a debrief and Jason dispensed some goodies from the tactical goody bag for top shooters/teams in certain drills, as well as an award for most improved shooter. The class was debriefed, Jason thanked us for taking the time to attend his training, and the class was released at approximately 1800.

Additional Info:
    Jason is a personable instructor who does an excellent job of conveying information and breaking it down component by component. He’s got a great sense of humor and can take “jabs” as well as he gives them. I bent his ear on a couple of sidebar topics and he was patient, confident, and didn’t give any universal/vague answers. Jason demonstrated his highly competent ability to teach to different levels; basic pistol course two days previous to more seasoned shooters over the last two. As such, we were penalized for misses, incorrectly setting up a drill, or dropped equipment (which you might need later), with “penalty laps”. Jason discussed physical conditioning throughout the course, and gave examples of various exercises and their relevancy to improving one’s shooting.

If you’re interested in receiving training from a Tier 1 level Operator who has been down range, can demonstrate excellent command of the fundamentals and tactical expertise, and if you like to be out of your comfort zone, then RedBack One should be on your hit list for training providers. If you like to run, you’ll really like it!
    Many thanks to Kyle and Chris for working with RB1 and setting up the training, great shooting fellas!!!
    " I can't walk with gum in my mouth...It makes it to where I can't breathe"-The Wife Unit

Feedback Score
    Excellent write up and very thorough. Thank you for sharing your experience with our training and I'm very happy to know that it was a positive one! Remember to practice what you learned and keep your skills fresh! Let us know if you have any questions at all, we'd be happy to answer them.

Feedback Score
    We enjoy reading all of the feedback from everyone and appreciate your honest thoughts, opinions and experience with our training. Thank you for sharing with us and with others! We hope to see all of you again on follow up training with RB1!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NeoNeanderthal View Post
    What grip is on the gun with the alpha rail with the holes. (not the one with the slotted vtac trx)
    It's a BCM Gunfighter Mod 1.
    -Daniel Tosh

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Putting together a bolt carrier group under stress like a boss (it's supposed to take 45 minutes, right?):
    I felt for you man That was some slow ass shit.

Feedback Score
    Doug, F-Trooper and Slab covered the details of the course in excellent detail, so I'll add some key points that I picked up along two days of great training with Redback One.

TD1 was a continuation from the Basic Carbine, which included identification and remediation of common stoppages with the AR. Empty chamber, body obstruction and bolt override. The bolt override left an impression on me from the Basic Carbine as a tough one to clear, but it came much easier this time around.

- Individual Protection Drill
    Normal IPD for daytime or adequate light situations and variation using the weapon mounted light on the handgun. Both keys being the chamber check when trying to get the carbine back up and running.

- Improvised Tourniquet
    This and introduction to TCCC was something that I was really looking forward to. Jason covered key considerations when it comes to TCCC and application of a couple excellent commercially available TQs as well as what to look for in putting together an improvised TQ. You'll never know when you'll be in need for one. There are also key considerations in every day items that one may want to consider for dual usage.

First aid/casualty care is something that I was looking to prioritize in my training this year and in the coming years. I hope to attend RB1's TCCC course in the coming years, until then I will be looking to get as much medical related training locally as I can find.

- Transition to Support Side
    The steps in which RB1 teaches how to transition to the support side was different than a couple of different ways that I had been taught how to perform the transition. After going through a crawl, walk, run, sprint method of teaching this technique, it's a method that I will be implementing from now on. Something that I will dedicate much dry fire time to help get it down, particularly the proper transition of stance for counter weight when shooting from barricades/cover.

Included was reloading from the support side grip/stance. I occasionally shoot from support side, but never really did any consideration for reloading from support side, which for me is left hand/side. I found that this is really something that I need to put in time on.

- High & Low Percentage Considerations with Carbine and Handgun
    There are many considerations when determining high and low percentage shots with the carbine, which include available stance/position, distance to threat, available exposure of the threat, etc. and there are more considerations when transitioning to the handgun. For me, that is to slow the tempo down and match the appropriate sight package to the distance to the threat. Going from what is normally is a high (or higher) percentage shot with a carbine may be a low percentage shot with a handgun.

- Sling Setup
    I found that I was fighting with my sling setup for some parts of the class. The padding of the VCAS sling proved to be more of a hinderance than a help, particularly when doing transitioning from strong to support sides.

For the Combat Carbine course, I ran the following gear:
    DDM4 V5 with Aimpoint T-1 and Tango Down optic cover (the optic cover was great, particularly in the snowy weather that we had on TD1
    Glock 17 with X300 in Safariland SLS holster
    HSGI SGPB with two each handgun and carbine Tacos
    CSM dump pouch

I didn't have any malfunctions with either of my guns (that were not intentionally setup of for malfunction drills). Having gone through RB1's Basic Carbine, it was good to validate the gear changes that I made as a result of that class.

Overall, it was an excellent two days of training with Redback One, in conditions ranging from cold and snowy to warmer, dry and sunny. I thought I was in ok physical shape, but I surely will be putting more time and dedication into improving my fitness level after this course.

It was great to see many familiar faces from the Basic Carbine from September 2012. Looking forward to training again with Redback One and the Alaska peeps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast