Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: .260 on the cheap?

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Suwannee Tim View Post
    He wants something par-full. But not too par-full.

Feedback Score
    Interesting development: a buddy of mine has raised the possibility of a Ruger 77 in .308 becoming available to build off of (has a source of one cheap). Is there a reason Rugers aren't typically used other than lack of the extensive aftermarket availability of stuff which then becomes a circular problem?

I think I'm going to try to be smart and take everyone's advice here and keep it way simple. Put money in glass, get the action trued (whatever I get) and a decent barrel, maybe keep the stock simple and not drop an extra grand into it until I put a lot more rounds downrange to improve my skill to the point something fancier will actually push beyond limitations of what I'd have.
    Last edited by yellowfin; 07-12-13 at 23:07.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things with insane laws...it's...insane!" -- Penn Jillette

Feedback Score
    Ruger rings blow
    Lack of good stocks and no chassis..
    Rebarreling more costly...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The Ruger 77 uses an odd bedding system that'a a little harder to work with than a conventional action. They're also cast, so things that should be square may not be. Other actions are nearly always a better place to start.

Okie John
    Quote Originally Posted by Suwannee Tim View Post
    He wants something par-full. But not too par-full.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If you want to build a precision rifle, and don't want to run a SAKO/AI or even a SPR action... Then buy a Tikka. Have never seen one shoot worse that 1 MOA with decent ammo.

For around 550 you will get a fantastic action, A CHF barrel that is made on the same machines as the Sako TRG's, and a stock that you can actualy use. If you decide to upgrade the stock, you can get a KRG W3 Stock http://www.kineticresearchgroup.com/products/w3c.php, which is probally the best and most comfortbale chasis on the market.

If you want one in .260, then buy a T3 Sporter for around 1500 and sell the stock. Or buy one in .243 (very formidable long range round) or in .308. When you shoot the barrel out or get more money, send it away and get rebarreled in .260 or 6.5C.

The action comes true from the factory unlike the piece of shit remingtons the industry jocks so much.

Other good contendors are Winchester70/SPR or one of the custom actions and throw a barrel on it.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TurretGunner View Post
    The action comes true from the factory
    While I agree the Tikka is a a very nice action, butter smooth and great looking, NO ACTION comes from the factory "true" regardless of weather is a ruger or a high end custom stiller, or borden, etc. Every action requires some work.
    "After I shot myself, my training took over and I called my parents..." Texas Grebner

"Take me with a grain of salt, my sarcasm does not relate well over the internet"

Jonathan Morehouse

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ICANHITHIMMAN View Post
    While I agree the Tikka is a a very nice action, butter smooth and great looking, NO ACTION comes from the factory "true" regardless of weather is a ruger or a high end custom stiller, or borden, etc. Every action requires some work.

if my custom actions required work to 'true' them, i'd be asking for money back. I've watched GAP and others build my rifles using Badger, Bighorn, Defiance etc. none of them needed additional work.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by taliv View Post
    if my custom actions required work to 'true' them, i'd be asking for money back. I've watched GAP and others build my rifles using Badger, Bighorn, Defiance etc. none of them needed additional work.
    Yea that dude has no idea what hes talking about. The whole reason people buy custom actions is they come right from the begining. Who the hell is going to pay $1 - 1.5K for an action to send it to get trued LOL.

And fyi, Winchester and Tikka actions do NOT need to be trued. Stick a high end tube on them and they will shoot bugholes, if properly stocked/bedded or put into a chasiss.

And I don't seem to recall Smiths having to true up TRG's, AI's or SPR's.
    Last edited by TurretGunner; 07-14-13 at 12:49.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Well as much as the two of you would like to debate it your both wrong. There is no such thing as an action that does not need a tweak here or there. Its impossible for a company to hold the same tolerances part after part and still turn a profit.

There would be no need to ask for your money back as the resale value is still higher and I was never implying a full "blue print" to the point that would be required of a big name factory action.

I can site one personal experience that I had with a custom action, the rifle smith was Kirby Allen of Allen precision shooting and the action was a McMillan. I asked for details with my build in-case he was not available when it was time for a re-barrel again. When he sent me the details I was shocked, over the course of our next few conversations I learned from a guy who builds rifles all day every day that my Custom McMillan was more out of spec than a factory rem 700. Now most customs are not this bad and do not require a full blue print to get them true but they do require work and that's a fact. Tooling wears out machines wear out operators get lazy etc.
    "After I shot myself, my training took over and I called my parents..." Texas Grebner

"Take me with a grain of salt, my sarcasm does not relate well over the internet"

Jonathan Morehouse

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast