Thread: Ulitmak Mounting Question

Feedback Score
    247 (100%)

Ulitmak Mounting Question

I am about to install an Ultimak on a Bulgarian SA-93. It is a milled receiver and the Ultimak is older(i have had it for a few years, never mounted it).

What is bothering me is the gap you are supposed to leave both front and rear of the tube/Ultimak(I called Ulitmak and they said that is the best, most accurate mount).

Is this common with you "Ultimak Users" to have a non-contiguous tube as such?

TIA,

Brian

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    It's not an issue. Go to their website and check this out.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    A wild guess here, is the gap because of the slight tolerance difference between various AK's?
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    you should be fine. i just installed an ultimak on my ak74 a week or so ago and this past weekend put about 240 trouble free rounds through it saturday afternoon.

Feedback Score
    I saw one that worked great and the gap was about an inch.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post
    A wild guess here, is the gap because of the slight tolerance difference between various AK's?
    Partially. According to Ultimak, it's also to allow for the expansion and contraction of the aluminum gas tube as it heats and cools.

I've installed a number of Ultimaks on various AKs, and have never seen an instance where the gap at the fore/aft of the tube was more than 1/4" - usually it's even less. Besides, since the Ultimak gas tube is attached to the barrel itself, the fore/aft gap has no impact on stability or functioning.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have one on my cheepo WASR 10 and its good for co-wittnessing.

As long as your "Piston" moves freely, you shouldnt have a problem.

Mine was about 1/8 inch shorter and I was able to split the diff between front and back for heat expansion. With it mounted to the barrel and a lot of ammo it will get worm+, but should not effect your scope.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by shooter521 View Post
    Partially. According to Ultimak, it's also to allow for the expansion and contraction of the aluminum gas tube as it heats and cools.

I've installed a number of Ultimaks on various AKs, and have never seen an instance where the gap at the fore/aft of the tube was more than 1/4" - usually it's even less. Besides, since the Ultimak gas tube is attached to the barrel itself, the fore/aft gap has no impact on stability or functioning.
    Makes sense, that may cause binding if it was tight when cold.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!