Thread: Red dots for astigmatism?

Feedback Score

Red dots for astigmatism?

My dominant eye has a worsening astigmatism which is corrected by contacts. EOtechs and Mr. Astigmatism do not get along. It has been years since I have played with an Aimpoint, but they did not seem to be as bad. I was planning on purchasing an M3 or T1. Anyone have the same experience? I have heard the Tri-power is more forgiving. Your thoughts and experience is appreciated.

O 319

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar 319 View Post
    My dominant eye has a worsening astigmatism which is corrected by contacts. EOtechs and Mr. Astigmatism do not get along. It has been years since I have played with an Aimpoint, but they did not seem to be as bad. I was planning on purchasing an M3 or T1. Anyone have the same experience? I have heard the Tri-power is more forgiving. Your thoughts and experience is appreciated.

O 319

I have a mild astigmatism in my dominant eye and have no issues with the Aimpoint M2 or T1.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    For me, the red dot winds up looking like a comma and not a dot. If I turn the brightness down really low it's better, but still not a dot. This is with either a 2 or 4 MOA dot. It doesn't bug me anymore.. I'm more accurate with them than without them, so they stay on the rail...

IL (formely the worst damn state in the nation, but no more. Thank You New York.)
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

astigmatism follow up

I have SEVERE astigmatism, and have had same for over 50 years. That, combined with severe myopia, major vitreal floaters, and a detached/reattached retina in my dominant shooting eye make for some real interesting sight pictures at times. I wear glasses which do an excellent job of correcting the astigmatism. As long as my glasses are on, the RD on my M3 is fine. Take them off and there is some major abberation!!!! FWIW - I have the 2moa dot, and the abberation with my glasses off is significantly worse when I have it cranked up to the brightest (largest) conformation.

I've often wondered if those who see abberation while wearing their contacts/glasses simply don't have the exact correction factor ground in??? Also, there are different forms of astigmatism, i.e. some are due to asymmetry of the cornea, while others are from an asymmetric lens. And as the lens changes dimensions with changing distance of focus, perhaps there are variances d/t that?

I've only been into ARs for 6 months or so, and initially came in wanting to use only the iron sights:) Foolish boy! Just like I fought tooth & nail to resist computers, so I fought the recommendations of everyone on this list to get a RD sight of some sort. Shoulda listened earlier:)

Even with my glasses off (which puts me way past legal blindness) - I can shoot fairly well with the Aimpoint at distances where I can identify a target (or more correctly, ID the overall "shape" of the target:), whereas the irons are totally useless.

jm
    jmoore (aka - geezer john)

"The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." Thucydides

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    And here all along I though it was just me ! ! !

Using my dominant eye on my 4 MOA Aimpoint ML2, I nowadays often see three distinct dots: (1) the "real" dot, (2) a fainter "ghost" dot at about 1 o-clock, and (3) another ghost at 8 o-clock. I never noticed this when I first bought the unit a couple of years ago. At some point a second dot appeared, and eventually the third. To put in context, I turned 50 just over a month ago.

The effect seems to vary at different times, increasing with a general sense of eye fatigue (like spending too much computer time). It also isn't as bad with my non-dominant eye. Maybe I should attempt some cross-dominant shooting ???

I was thinking possibly that I had damaged the optic, although I can't recall any particularly bad knocks, and Aimpoints are supposed to be built like tanks anyway. I tried having my wife take a look, but her eyes seem to be worse than mine. I'm going to have a couple of the young bucks look through it at my next 3-gun match, just to make sure it's really just me.

Feedback Score
    I have both Distance and Low Light stigmatisms. I wear corrective lens a lot of the time. Zero issues with the Aimpoints in regular or low light, corrected or not.
    Last edited by Erick Gelhaus; 04-01-08 at 09:37.
    Yup, I'm a Dinosaur!

Feedback Score

Thanks guys

Fantastic info. M4C does it again. I just located and messed with a 4moa M3. Not too shaby. I am fairly certain that when the wifes not looking, one of these will magically appear on my patrol rifle.

Feedback Score
    I have mild astigmatism - I can pass a regular eye exam w/ letter chart if I squint - but I wear glasses for convenience. They're a bit out of date, but with them, I generally get a round Aimpoint dot or crisp EoTech reticle. Without them, the 4MOA dot turns into a 4x16MOA horizontal bar. Luckily, the "real" dot is in the middle of the bar.