Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Civility (aka the "We Will Crush Your Balls" edict).

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Safetyhit View Post
    Chuck with each passing day you continue to remind us why we hold you in such high regard.
    You, of all people, should know that there is nothing even remotely special about me; however, if I do ever hit the big time and need an agent to handle my PR work, I know exactly who to call.

As for the rest of this madness, I think that the point has been made, so I'm not going to beat this thread to death. Just do the right thing, and when there is any doubt whatsoever, do the thing that is even righter than that.

Easy day.

AC
    Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here. -- Captain John Parker, Lexington, 1775.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Laconic, he ain't

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlelebowski View Post
    Laconic, he ain't
    See? Name calling without the actual name calling. It's an art form.

AC

P.S. LL, you suck. I mean, er, your position on this matter sucks.
    Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here. -- Captain John Parker, Lexington, 1775.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Re: Civility (aka the "We Will Crush Your Balls" edict).

What's with the obsession with other members' balls?
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me." Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Army Chief View Post
    See? Name calling without the actual name calling. It's an art form.

AC

P.S. LL, you suck. I mean, er, your position on this matter sucks.
    My favorite example of being laconic.

One famous example comes from the time of the invasion of Philip II of Macedon. With key Greek city-states in submission, he turned his attention to Sparta and sent a message: "If I win this war, you will be slaves forever." In another version, Philip proclaims: "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city." According to both accounts, the Spartan ephors sent back a one word reply: "If". Subsequently both Philip and Alexander avoided Sparta entirely.
    Last edited by Littlelebowski; 05-24-13 at 20:35.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Koshinn View Post
    What's with the obsession with other members' balls?
    met·a·phor [met-uh-fawr, -fer] noun

1. a figure of speech in which a term or phrase is applied to something to which it is not literally applicable in order to suggest a resemblance, as in “A mighty fortress is our God.” Compare mixed metaphor, simile.

2. something used, or regarded as being used, to represent something else; emblem; symbol.

Origin: 1525–35; < Latin metaphora < Greek metaphorá a transfer, akin to metaphérein to transfer. See meta-, -phore
    Just seemed like the one inference to a whole new special kind of pain to which most here could relate in some fashion.

AC

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

Re: Civility (aka the "We Will Crush Your Balls" edict).

Quote Originally Posted by munch520 View Post
    ETA: I browse many media outlets and usually watch 2-3 (even CNN) to get my news. I like to get it from all biases. Given that, I enjoy I GD for getting news as well; primarily since we are all like-minded and the productive discussion that can ensue. That said, I don't think I'd be for nuking GD.
    Agreed. There is too much positive benefit to close GD. At the end of the day most of us can either agree or agree to disagree.

This thread brings to mind two old and extremely simple principles.

- Don't get your underwear in a bunch.
    - Don't poke a sleeping bear.

I don't say that to be lecturing anybody but because I've had to learn those the hard way.
    Last edited by Waylander; 05-25-13 at 13:37.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Army Chief View Post
    You, of all people, should know that there is nothing even remotely special about me; however, if I do ever hit the big time and need an agent to handle my PR work, I know exactly who to call.

While I know you're being complimentary I've not done anything but recognize, acknowledge and attempt to help someone uniquely special and good. Never imagined we'd actually meet and get to talk a while, was just icing on the cake.

Yes, I'd do your PR if so desired but wouldn't take a dime for it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I like a man that takes a sojourn into the valley of death, stares down his demons and his mortality, and returns to the land of the living ... to commence crushing balls!

The bickering is bad ju-ju and I've been as guilty as the next guy. And I will voluntarily submit my balls for the requisite crushing should I step over the line. Let there be peace in the valley (and intelligent discourse/debate rather than invective).

Just an aside (in response to littlelebowski's earlier comment): I am one of those members who posts more to GD than other areas of the forum. It's not that I don't read other areas of the forum. It's just that in the technical areas I don't have a great deal of expertise. I learn from reading but don't necessarily have anything substantive to add to the discussion. I'm sure many members feel I don't have much of substance to offer in the GD either. But I do have opinions and I am interested in discussing topics of interest as well as posting up the occasional thread seeking advice or information from other members on a variety of non-firearms related topics. So there you go.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Montanadave, I think you add to GD.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast