Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Just finished SPR/Recce... LOVE IT! Pics

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Just finished SPR/Recce... LOVE IT! Pics

Just got it done, well, sort of done, still waiting on a SSA-E for my Mega lower. So, this is my SSA with a forged lower. I have the same A5 on the Mega lower, but a ACS instead of an STR stock, and someday it'll have an SSA-E vs the (normally my carbine lower) SSA.

Important parts:
    16" Proof Research (carbon wrapped, formerly ABS) Satern 1/8 barrel
    Surefire socom hider, waiting on socom brake
    13.5" NSR
    Mega billet upper
    Vortex 2.5-10x32mm FFP PST (been waiting on this)
    ADM Recon mount
    Geissele SSA
    Vltor A5 with A5H3 buffer (A5H0 and A5H2 run as well)
    Atlas QD
    - Still waiting on SF RTS sights

Weight as shown with mag 9.6lbs using a precision scale

I love that it's still handy, the NSR, light-ish scope, and carbon barrel all do a little to keep weight down. With the mega lower and ACS I'll be at 10lbs. I take comfort knowing that some people's red dot carbines are heavier, until my silencer is approved I guess.

In case anyone wanted to see what a Mega billet upper (3H style) looks like on forged lower. It's plenty fine. I should sometime look to see what the opposite looks like. A lot of people are put off or picky about Mega's 3H and 3S styles, I think this combo looks fine enough.

While this isn't internet phenomenal by any means. I mean it's ONLY 3/4 MOA, I was shooting 69gr HSM reloads, certainly acceptable for what I want this gun for! I didn't have a proper rear bag just a hat with some gloves tucked in it, and the SSA-E might have been a tiny bit better, oh, and I also suck. I would have done a proper 10 shot group but it was raining and I was cold. I only shot these three when sighting it in then photo-ed it later. I spent most of my time on the 300y range, seeing how fast I could hit the 10" plate... pretty quickly.

I spent quite some time planning this gun, and so far I'm THRILLED with it. I have a SPR class coming up, I think this gun will do just fine.
    Last edited by Noodles; 05-23-13 at 18:52.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Very nice. Very similar to what I am working on.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Nice rifle and nice group! What made you want to go with a 16" barrel vs. 18" or 20"?
    Good equipment is no substitute for good training.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Achilles11B View Post
    Nice rifle and nice group! What made you want to go with a 16" barrel vs. 18" or 20"?
    Basically.... 65fps is why I chose 16" over 18".

Good question... I actually put a ton of research into that. Everyone does 18" rifle length because for the most part it's a comprise off of 20" and that's what Crane chose for the Mk18.

What I discovered in my research was that... This is all just mostly my opinion. If you disagree, I probably don't care I'm not bashing your 18" just explaining my choice for 16":

- I read a couple places that Crane chose 18" for the Mk12 because one group wanted 16" and another wanted 20" to make everyone happy the chose 18", I didn't have the same requirements and didn't want the same compromise.

- I talked to a very smart guy at Noveske who admitted that 18" rifle was dumb and they hated it. They had no problems with any combo except 18" rifle. So that's why they started using intermediate. Well, all fine and good except I'm not a huge fan on non-standard parts. I made an exception for the A5 buffer since it's not a wear part.

- Noveske also echoed that it's 50-75fps difference and that guy personally preferred 16" rifles

- I wanted a gun that I COULD configure as a carbine.

- Proof Research got me a barrel to test out, not free, but not retail, I wanted a 16" at this point, but that's what this one happened to be anyhow

- I'm suppressing it with a SF 556-RC and a 762-RC, I didn't want 18" + a 308 can as a worst case, that said... My next point

- 2" didn't ****ing matter pro or con, at 600y it won't make a noticeable difference to me. This is my long range "training" gun. I can't afford a 308 semi, so I'll make due with this, everything will be harder (wind and drop) but cheap enough for me to shoot

IMO, go 16" Middy, or go 20" rifle if you feel you need the extra velocity or smoother action. This gun is STUPID smooth with the A5H3, all the brass lands in a 15" diameter pile on the ground, it's lovely, 20" I'd probably not notice a difference. If I find I want longer, I'll go 20". But I knew I would hike this gun into shooting spots so I wanted to keep it as small and light as possible.

For the velocity difference of the 16", I figure with the suppressor boost, it's negligible to 18", really it's all the same.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by fallenromeo View Post
    Very nice. Very similar to what I am working on.
    I can massively recommend the NSR rail and the A5 specifically. Of course the SSA and SSA-E are great. Magpul's MOE+ grip was noticeably better than hard plastic in the rain. The ATLAS vs Harris is a toss up because both excel at different things. The Vortex 2.5-10x FFP is stunningly nice for the price, I have absolutely nothing bad to say about that.

Feedback Score
    I just finished putting together a precision rifle and chose the 16" for many of the reasons you chose 16". I figured I would lose a little distance (IIRC it was ~30-40 yards from an 18"), but the slightly shorter, lighter barrel was worth it to me.

As soon as the market calms down a little more I want to put together a 14.5" or 12.5" lightweight precision set up for my wife. She wants something a little lighter than my 16" (BCM 16" SS).
    Last edited by Agnostic; 05-23-13 at 21:46.

Feedback Score
    Looks very nice. I am awaiting the same optic right now to replace the TR24 sitting atop my recce.

The A5 is a great piece of kit. Everyone who has shot my ARs equipped with them has commented on how much smoother the whole thing becomes.
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
    I can massively recommend the NSR rail and the A5 specifically. Of course the SSA and SSA-E are great. Magpul's MOE+ grip was noticeably better than hard plastic in the rain. The ATLAS vs Harris is a toss up because both excel at different things. The Vortex 2.5-10x FFP is stunningly nice for the price, I have absolutely nothing bad to say about that.
    I agree. I already have the 15" NSR on my 16" BCM SS410 upper. I am waiting on my SSA-E (currently have an SSA in the lower). I went with a UBR stock though and I am going with the 3-15 FFP from SWFA. I love the Vortex though, great scopes. The 2.5-10FFP was the other option, but I decided on the SWFA.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Any chance you're going to try a 77gr projectile in the future? I'm fairly new to the 5.56 being used as a longer range gun, but I thought the 77gr was the go-to round for distances?
    OIF/OEF vet (Ramadi/Hit & Ghazni)
    Former Army infantry squad leader
    NRA Endowment Life Member
    NR-EMT

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CodeRed30 View Post
    Any chance you're going to try a 77gr projectile in the future? I'm fairly new to the 5.56 being used as a longer range gun, but I thought the 77gr was the go-to round for distances?
    I shot 55gr, 69, and 77 the other day when I took these photos. The group with 77gr was .9 vs .7, but it was also just three shots to see POI difference, and to verify function.

I've repeatadly been told that 1/8 loves 69gr and only like 77gr. We'll see. I have 500 of each on hand to see.

For the most part, between 69 and 77, find what the gun likes better and stick to it, it's 11% more mass and probably about 11% less velocity so, it's all the same imo.

Judging by how much I was moving around, not having a proper rear bag, just getting started on long range, and the break on the trigger, I am all but certain this gun can do 1/2 MOA with a better shooter. Now, I definitely did not build this gun for that, I built it for 600y+, so if it mechanically holds 6" at 600y I'd be thrilled. If I can do 3MOA at 600 I'd probably equally be thrilled
    Last edited by Noodles; 05-24-13 at 15:03.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast