Thread: Is there a way to evaluate the quality of the chrome lining in the bore?

Feedback Score

Is there a way to evaluate the quality of the chrome lining in the bore?

I was reading a thread about making custom barrels with chrome lining and found this post interesting: http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showpo...7&postcount=24

The barrel itself isn't that hard to do, but the chroming is. What I was told is that the machine needs to be tuned to the barrel so that it delivers an even coat of chrome free of variances, and that it requires a batch of discards to be run until they get it right. For mass production, this isn't really a problem, but for a small run like mine, well, there were a lot fewer barrels to spread those charges across.
    1) I am guessing the reason some people believe a chrome bore harms accuracy is because it might be inconsistent down the bore.
    2) Is there a way to evaluate the quality or consistency of the chrome lining on your barrel to be sure it is done well?

Feedback Score
    The quick answer is no. Unless there is an obvious flaw in the chrome lining there is no way to tell.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Berg View Post
    I was reading a thread about making custom barrels with chrome lining and found this post interesting: http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showpo...7&postcount=24

1) I am guessing the reason some people believe a chrome bore harms accuracy is because it might be inconsistent down the bore.
    2) Is there a way to evaluate the quality or consistency of the chrome lining on your barrel to be sure it is done well?
    2 methods - one is visual done with a borescope - you'll be amazed at the differences between a quality chrome bore and a fair / bad bore.
    Second - use of an air gauge - this will show variances in the bore diameter, which in relation to a chrome lined bore "may" indicate uneven plating thicknesses. An air gauge is a very expensive intrument and is extemely sensitive. typically measuring to 50 millionths of an inch. (.00005")

I have borescoped many a lined barrel and found the chrome lining to be eroded away (gone) and actually chipping in the throat area. Once this occurs - the barrel is a tomato stake.
    opsoff

"I'd rather go down the river with seven studs than with a hundred shitheads"- Colonel Charlie Beckwith