Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Just finished SPR/Recce... LOVE IT! Pics

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
    Vortex 2.5-10x32mm FFP PST (been waiting on this)
    I went back and forth about this glass for weeks and finally went with the 1-4 PST. Hopefully I will be ble to do what I want with the lower power (800 yards). Having to wait is what did it in for me also, once I found the 1-4 in stock I bought it to have a bit of piece! Hope it works well for you!
    USMC MSGT Ret. 1371

SEMPER PARATUS Certified AR-15 Armorer

"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." -Alexander Hamilton

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sapper36 View Post
    I went back and forth about this glass for weeks and finally went with the 1-4 PST. Hopefully I will be ble to do what I want with the lower power (800 yards). Having to wait is what did it in for me also, once I found the 1-4 in stock I bought it to have a bit of piece! Hope it works well for you!
    I kicked around the 1-4 too. Decided that for a long range trainer, his gun would need a little more scope. For a to-use gun, I thought the 1-4 or acog would be great.

I'm pleased with the 2.5-10 ffp, but the SFP would be probably just as good. Magnification aside, that reticle is the shit! Only thing better would be an open center but I'm a pretty big fan as is.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Re: Just finished SPR/Recce... LOVE IT! Pics

Quote Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
    I kicked around the 1-4 too. Decided that for a long range trainer, his gun would need a little more scope. For a to-use gun, I thought the 1-4 or acog would be great.

I'm pleased with the 2.5-10 ffp, but the SFP would be probably just as good. Magnification aside, that reticle is the shit! Only thing better would be an open center but I'm a pretty big fan as is.
    My only problem with the vortex 2.5-10 is that the illumination isn't daylight useable.
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me." Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Koshinn View Post
    My only problem with the vortex 2.5-10 is that the illumination isn't daylight useable.
    I messed around with that actually... The only thing I haven't been able to see the illuminated reticle on has been a bright white building, and a couple other things that during peak daylight have been too bright, BUT, in everything I've tried and couldn't see the lit reticle, I have been able to easily the black reticle.

So, I don't have a ton of experience with this, but so far, I'm not really understanding the big deal about daylight visable. Same goes for the acogs I've used, at 400y you are off the lot section but its still useable. Maybe a black target would change things.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Why is that an issue?

Feedback Score
    Great looking rifle! I myself have been strongly considering a Proof Research bbl.

1. I know you said you didn't necessarily get it the usual route but if you had to wait for it, can you share how long the lead time was?

2. Also, how well does the bbl handle rapid fire strings? Does it handle it like a bull barrel would, where the accuracy doesn't degrade much, or does it handle it like a pencil barrel, where you do see the accuracy degrade after firing a lot of rounds in short order?

3. Lastly, not that I'm asking you to touch the bbl ( ), but can you tell if the carbon fiber is either
    A. Heating up rapidly but then cooling down rapidly
    B. Heating up slower than a regular barrel would

Thanks man!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    at any power above the minimum it's not an issue. with a scope like a 1-4, where the bottom x substitutes for a RDS, it can be but I don't find it to be a problem. people were shooting far away things long before scopes were illuminated...
    never push a wrench...

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Re: Just finished SPR/Recce... LOVE IT! Pics

Quote Originally Posted by bp7178 View Post
    Why is that an issue?
    I like illumination for close range work at the lowest magnification without an offset rds or buis.

Oh and another separate issue is exposed turrets. It's not actually an issue, more like personal preference. But I like to set the zero then protect the turrets and use hold overs.
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me." Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Oh and another separate issue is exposed turrets. It's not actually an issue, more like personal preference. But I like to set the zero then protect the turrets and use hold overs.
    Definitely not an issue. The PST series has adjustable zero stop.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hygienist View Post
    Great looking rifle! I myself have been strongly considering a Proof Research bbl.

1. I know you said you didn't necessarily get it the usual route but if you had to wait for it, can you share how long the lead time was?

2. Also, how well does the bbl handle rapid fire strings? Does it handle it like a bull barrel would, where the accuracy doesn't degrade much, or does it handle it like a pencil barrel, where you do see the accuracy degrade after firing a lot of rounds in short order?

3. Lastly, not that I'm asking you to touch the bbl ( ), but can you tell if the carbon fiber is either
    A. Heating up rapidly but then cooling down rapidly
    B. Heating up slower than a regular barrel would

Thanks man!
    Well... Difficult subject. I don't really know yet on most of that, and on some I'm not really the guy to ask about it.

1. No lead because I picked on up used/demo, sort of.
    2. I've only had a chance to sight it in for the most part. I'm going to be running a carbine class in July, that will be with my 12.5", but I'm going to run this gun as well using angled irons (to test them out). I'll see if I can get this gun nice and hot and confirm hot/cold zero in the meantime, but worst-case then.
    3. No idea yet. I'll do some testing when I get the gun hot. One thing that I can say, is I've seen some highspeed thermal testing of these barrels, it doesn't exactly make a ton of sense to me sometimes, but I can confirm I have see them side by side run cooler at the muzzle and chamber than steel. That's about all I could comment on that yet. I've talked to people that complain about near instant mirage on the barrels, and others that insist they must be insulting because the carbon doesn't get "hot enough". I can confirm that these barrels are light, and they are stiff as shit! I have them making me a 20" bull barrel for a 700 that should be about lightweight barrel contour weight, it's 1.25" all the way to the muzzle.

PM me if you like and I can help you figure out what makes the most sense for you.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast