Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Slide to frame fit question.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

Slide to frame fit question.

Now that u have the facts, i must point out that your looking at the "overhang" in the wrong light. What you all see is a slide that looks to long, i see a short frame. Regardless colt gave you more than your moneys worth, by giving you that extra material, for free. Now you have the opportunity to blend the rear of the slide and add serrations, with room for mistakes.
    Last edited by ICANHITHIMMAN; 05-24-13 at 23:25.
    "After I shot myself, my training took over and I called my parents..." Texas Grebner

"Take me with a grain of salt, my sarcasm does not relate well over the internet"

Jonathan Morehouse

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ICANHITHIMMAN View Post
    Now that u have the facts, i must point out that your looking at the "overhang" in the wrong light. What you all see is a slide that looks to long, i see a short frame. Regardless colt gave you more than your moneys worth, by giving you that extra material, for free. Now you have the opportunity to blend the rear of the slide and add serrations, with room for mistakes.
    Hmmmm,,now that's a good way to look at it !!! I will have to go check my 3 and see what I have !!! I know my Colt Combat Elite shoots circles around my Springer Loaded,,,but I will have to check the BBL Lock-up & compare ! I always figured it was just the Colt BBL versus the Springer BBL.

Feedback Score
    With 1911 fitting the critical is the barrel to slide and bushing with the slide to frame less critical for accuracy. The proof is in the shooting

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by og556 View Post
    My rail gun is pretty loose. I think that is normal for Colt 1911's.
    This. Colt uses excellent components, but only their custom shop guns seem to consistently be given aesthetic attention and a ton of hand fitting.

The 1911 market has become so obsessed with RCH tolerances that people forget that a little rattle in a defensive pistol is not an issue, functionally speaking, and can even be desirable. When it comes to 1911's, I tend to be skeptical until proven otherwise of the reliability of super-tight guns that cost less than about $2,500, give or take.
    Last edited by crazymoose; 05-27-13 at 22:28.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by El Pistolero View Post
    I'm with mike240 on this one. The overhang is just a cosmetic issue but it should not be there at all IMO. I would contact Colt about sending it back to have it re-fitted. I would expect nothing less on a Colt, especially a more upscale model such as the Wiley Clapp. My XSE Commander is properly fitted as they all should be:

Mine does rattle when I shake it. That I don't care about.
    Slide overhang means nothing if the barrel is fit right. On a production gun, the only way to get rid of it is to hand fit the lower lugs or blend the slide and frame and refinish. Both of these things can not be done on a production gun and keep the costs down. The biggest problem here is the Internet has exposed us all to top shelf gunsmiths who spend days making a gun look perfect. Now all of you think a production Colt should look and fit like a full custom build.

Your expectations are too high.
    Last edited by SigSlave; 05-28-13 at 11:23.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SigSlave View Post
    Slide overhang means nothing if the barrel is fit right. On a production gun, the only way to get rid of it is to hand fit the lower lugs or blend the slide and frame and refinish. Both of these things can not be done on a production gun and keep the costs down. The biggest problem here is the Internet has exposed us all to top shelf gunsmiths who spend days making a gun look perfect. Now all of you think a production Colt should look and fit like a full custom build.

Your expectations are too high.
    My expectations have been met and that's all that matters.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by El Pistolero View Post
    My expectations have been met and that's all that matters.
    My appologies, I didn't mean to single you out in regards to expectations. I meant 1911 owners in general.

Feedback Score
    The overhang wouldn't bother me but if you can't live with it, I wouldn't hesitate to have Colt fix it. After all, for the price you pay you should get it right.
    Last edited by wetidlerjr; 05-29-13 at 07:16.

Bill Tidler Jr.

...We have long maintained that the only accessories that a 1911 needs are a trigger you can manage, sights that you can see, and a dehorning job. That still goes.
    ~Jeff Cooper

Feedback Score
    85 (100%)
    Thanks guys for all of the responses.
    I just got off the phone with Colt and they sounded surprised at the issue. They are sending me a return shipping label and said they would get the issue looked at and fixed. Very pleasant and easy experience. Great CS. I will update when I get it back.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1GIG View Post
    Thanks guys for all of the responses.
    I just got off the phone with Colt and they sounded surprised at the issue. They are sending me a return shipping label and said they would get the issue looked at and fixed. Very pleasant and easy experience. Great CS. I will update when I get it back.
    Good to see Colt CS taking care of you. Be sure to post pics once you get the gun back to see how they did.

SigSlave, no offense taken. I don't expect a mid-priced gun like a Colt to be fitted like a Wilson or Nighthawk but I don't expect it to be fitted like a Llama either.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12